Master Chief Green Paint Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
I had a few people PM me for info on the paint code I used for my armor. Its an automotive colormatched paint. I kept seeing this great 'Masterchief green" on cars in parking lots. Finally I bugged a friend for the color code on his Jeep. I'm really satisfied with it. Its a great mettalic green with gold undertones which really changes value in different light conditions. For anyone who has tried to match that color I'm sure you found out that it isn't sold in hardware or auto stores.

The paint code is PJN/RJN It's either called woodland green mettalic, or moss green pearlcoat depending where you get it.

I should stipulate though that it's a translucent paint, you have to put it over a base coat. If you put it down overtop of a bright mettalic gold it looks perfect....just makes it 'stand out better' like Chris Bryan says. Put it over primer gray, and it looks kinda blue-ish, not MasterChief green at all.

You can buy the paint here, this is the exact link I used when ordering it:

http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/products.php?PP...09&SPCId=44

but you can also find it here:

http://www.expresspaint.com/productcart/pc...p;idCategory=22

I bought two pints (actually only took about 1/2 pint to paint the suit) and I used an airbrush to spray it over the gold, but I suppose you could pay the extra and get it in spray cans. DO NOT TRY TO BRUSH IT ON! That looks like hell...

tell them Sean sent ya

;)

P.S. I forgot to add:

I think that the color does look different in the screens I've seen of H3, and especially in the trailer, but if you read all the newsposts at Bungie they've been hyping their new lighting models and textures. So it's really a question of 'Is the color different, or is it does it just look different because of the lighting?'

I'm not sure really, and I don't think we'll know until they release some Campaign footage or the demo of Halo 3 on X Box Live. I plan on videotaping that and studying it very very closely.

Besides I'm just not ready to make my suit Halo 3 compliant until the game is out. I don't want to guess and be wrong.

It only took a half pint to paint you armor? I guess I don't know much about paint. Thanks for the link.

BTW, do you know the exact color of gold paint you used for the under coat? And did you primer it first?

Primer> Hammered Texture Paint> Primer> Antique Gold> Airbrushed Woodland Green Mettalic

I'm sure that you could skip a step or two in there if that seems excessive.

Sorry for asking to many questions, but what's hammered texture paint?

Also, will primer from a spray can work, or do I need car spray stuff?

I use Rustoleum Auto body primer... it's in aerosol cans.

Hammered texture paint is a type of spray paint that when applied adds texture to whatever you apply it to. You can see the effects on the close up shots of my helmet:

Helmet-8.jpg

Yes. This is the order:

Primer> Hammered Texture Paint> Primer> Antique Gold> Airbrushed Woodland Green Mettalic

Has anyone ever tried using a OD Green with a gold tinge ? I think thats the way I'm going to do mine.

i'll use your tutorial so my helmet looks pretty than the blue terd it looks like right now. lol

thanks sean.

Sean Bradley said:
I use Rustoleum Auto body primer... it's in aerosol cans.

Hammered texture paint is a type of spray paint that when applied adds texture to whatever you apply it to. You can see the effects on the close up shots of my helmet:

Helmet-8.jpg

Thats good! Texture is a good idea. If you watch the Halo 3 E3 2006 trailer you can see that the armor has a bit of texture/weathering on it. The people at Bungie even said that if you look at the armor in this game, you can tell that Master Chief has had it rough. Plus with the HD the texture really is noticeable. Very well Sean!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back