Master Chief Helmet Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeevald

Hey, I am new to this site and new to costuming in general and I was wondering if there was a detailed guide on how to make a Master Chief helmet out of cardboard? Cause I am not really good at assembling stuff just by looking at pictures. So if there's a diagram of what the shapes are supposed to look like and in what order they are supposed to be assembled in, that would be a great help. Thanks.

For cardboard...not so much. You kind of have to wing it there. You could follow the Pepakura thread...print out the parts on paper and then just adapt and cut onto cardboard as needed.

Pepakura FAQ

Might give you a place to start.

Skeevald said:
Thanks, but I'm no good at 3D modeling either. Lol. I'll give it a shot.

Theres not really any modeling to it. Just download the software, open the file, put the correct scale in for your height, print! No need to edit or do anything to the 3d models unless you really want to get in there and goof with things.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I've got all these pieces printed out from Pepakura. Is it like the little kid's worksheets where the dotted lines mean to fold in or what? Do I just paste it on a piece of cardboard and cut it out with a razor blade?

Skeevald said:
So, I've got all these pieces printed out from Pepakura. Is it like the little kid's worksheets where the dotted lines mean to fold in or what? Do I just paste it on a piece of cardboard and cut it out with a razor blade?

It depends on how the program put the lines, but typically dot dot dot dot is a mountain fold, dash dot dash is a valley fold. Mountain fold is this "^" valley fold? this "v". If you see a tab with the number "22" on it, glue that to the edge thats labeled "22". You can try pasting it to cardboard and cutting, but I dont think it would work very well like that. If you're going the cardboard route, you'd pretty much just have to cut some cardboard up and use your imagination to get the shape right. Print out a lot of reference photos. Pepakura is more for creating the helmet out of cardstock altogether and not using cardboard.

Well, I've got 19 pages of stuff next to me right here. So what you're saying is just to trace them out on cardboard and wing it?

Skeevald said:
I don't have card stock =[

Go buy some! You can get it very cheap. Most hobby stores...even walmart. Ream of about 250 sheets for $6-8

I really wanted to make my first helmet out of cardboard and eventually move up to wood since I can do wood with a pretty good success rate. Are you sure it wont work for cardboard? Cause I wanted to wear it around school.

I didnt have any cardstock either. What I did was glue the pages to a piece of poster board, cut out the pieces, folded where folds were outlined, then I took the paper off of the poster board and then labeled where the numbers where.

Hmm, well i'm short like 4 pages since i'm all out of printer paper. I'll print them out some other time when I have paper...

Im sure you could use the pieces to do cardboard, it just wont be that easy. That pepakura is designed for thin cardstock to glue together. You wont be able to do the whole flap mess.

Skeevald said:
Then what do the people who make it out of cardboard use to assemble the pieces?

Imagination. They just look at reference photos, cut pieces to fit where they need it, and attach.

I guess that's the route I have to take then. If I screw up, oh well. I need to learn sometime. Have you ever heard of any making the full armor set out of plywood?

Skeevald said:
I guess that's the route I have to take then. If I screw up, oh well. I need to learn sometime. Have you ever heard of any making the full armor set out of plywood?

That would be....

Rough, splintery...hard? Heavy.

Seriously, it's much easier just to put together the pepakura. Get the cardstock and a hot glue gun...took me 4 hours to cut out and assemble the H2 Pepakura file in the FAQ thread. Then if you want, you can resin/fiberglass, etc, which isn't that hard either. Or if you just want simplicity, leave it just cardstock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back