Master Chief Progress, Thanks


VoidRunner

New Member
Not a question but a thank you to those who've helped me and given great advice.

I wanted to share my progress as although it is slow, it is visible and feels good to get this far. At the moment it is just the base completed, with the details yet to be added and etched in. The helmet is still just an assembled pepakura piece as I'm deciding between making it from foam, or going the longer, stronger molding and casting route.

I should probably have a long hard think about how it's all going to attach together too...
Plus some pieces are a little flimsy, so I might have to remake them with thicker foam...

_20210222_171040.JPG
 

VoidRunner

New Member
I'm sorry I don't have more pics to share at the moment of major progress. Time and drive is never around when I need it.
It's not much but here are some quick shots of how the torso is being held together.

I'm using Velcro/Magic Tape to strap it all together. Since the torso is using the pepakura model, it has some extra sections which made it slightly bulkier, but let's me cut through to add stronger connections (completely unintentional). The jets don't sit completely solidly so I put in little hooks on top, and velcro on the back to hold them in place and allow me to remove them.

You can see I've started to pen in some details to get a sense of what to etch and add. There are a lot of little details to etch, or just cut down, which I might try and fake with a mix of foam layers.

DSC_0822.JPG
DSC_0824.JPG
DSC_0825.JPG
DSC_0826.JPG
DSC_0827.JPG
 

VoidRunner

New Member
A little progress on other parts. I am actually prioritising the wearing of each piece before I go and add lots of details and find they aren't quite the right size, or I can't attach them properly.

That said I have had to cut away a little from the shin guards as they were still rather large. I invested in a cheap pair of rough, black construction trousers to use as the attachment base for the lower armour pieces. Also I figured any alterations I made could be used with future outfits.

DSC_0827q.JPG
DSC_0826q.JPG


Working on the thigh guards there is a bit of velcro on the top edge inside the foam, and I sewed a ring tag onto the trousers so the guards can be attached to the trousers and there is less worry about them falling down as I walk around. I considered velcro for this, but this seemed the neatest option.

DSC_0825q.JPG


So the thigh guards are now wearable. I have found that since I used 5mm foam, it is rather flexible and I need to reinforce the seams a bit, though the flexibility works a little in my favour as it means I can get my hands underneath to attach the velcro straps. I might add extra foam details to cover seams on the outside just in case.

I do have a question to pose. From the picture you should be able to see that the thigh guard goes around the whole leg, I'm stepping into these and pulling them up into place. Is this a good way to do this, or would you use another method, maybe switches the inner thigh foam for an elastic strap?
 

FalseShepherd

Active Member
So the thigh guards are now wearable. I have found that since I used 5mm foam, it is rather flexible and I need to reinforce the seams a bit, though the flexibility works a little in my favour as it means I can get my hands underneath to attach the velcro straps. I might add extra foam details to cover seams on the outside just in case.

I do have a question to pose. From the picture you should be able to see that the thigh guard goes around the whole leg, I'm stepping into these and pulling them up into place. Is this a good way to do this, or would you use another method, maybe switches the inner thigh foam for an elastic strap?
It seems like the d ring you have in place to secure the thighs to your belt would be enough securing for the thighs. It doesn't seem like you would need to replace the inner foam with elastic unless you felt like it was flopping around. You could probably pad the inner thigh area with foam or something to make it tighter around your leg of you want. It looks pretty good tho so you might not need to do that.

Also, disclaimer I have not made thighs yet so I don't know from experience just a suggestion.
 

Omega Weapon 7

New Member
It seems like the d ring you have in place to secure the thighs to your belt would be enough securing for the thighs. It doesn't seem like you would need to replace the inner foam with elastic unless you felt like it was flopping around. You could probably pad the inner thigh area with foam or something to make it tighter around your leg of you want. It looks pretty good tho so you might not need to do that.

Also, disclaimer I have not made thighs yet so I don't know from experience just a suggestion.
True, I have done the foam thing on my ODST knees via the Andy DFT tutorial, and they stayed on pretty well, but my weight changed around the pandemic so I almost need less foam in a sense.

Though the knees are a little easier overall, I feel like.
 
Top