Master Chief Progress, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot DAMN, you'd give Spidermonkey60 and smelms a run for their money with your craftsmanship here my friend. I was curious, do you have an airbrush at all? Your color of choice is fantastic; and I imagine if you hit your high ridge and low ridges with complementing shades/hues you could make some amazing layering that brings that suit to the next level. Spider in the past has designed some really beautiful 4/5 under suits all out of foam. Reach out to him and he would absolutely be a resource for you.
Thanks dude I really appreciate it. I don't have an airbrush currently. I'm surprised about the colour choice as I'm still not overly happy with the colours I've used, but they merged together well enough. Some acrylics had awfully thin pigment. I'll keep the shade/hues in mind for the rifle, it's the last thing to be painted with the boot covers.
Spider has some great stuff though a motorcross will do me for this build. If I make another armour I'll look into his creations more.

Well I'm onto the last boot sections and need a final piece of advice.

The front and heel sections aren't attached to the boot in anyway at the moment. I've whittled down my choices to either sewing and sticking on lots of straps with magic tape/velcro, or reducing the number of straps but adding eva foam floor mats as secondary boot soles.

I don't mind the sewing part, but I think it'll ruin the look a bit with too many straps, and I'm not sure how well they'll hold up going under foot if I walk around a lot of various terrains.

The eva soles looked good but I'm not sure how safe they'll be for walking on smoother surfaces, and I know they'll pick up every sharp stone possible. On the upside it'll give me an extra 1cm in height :D

The boot cover on the top of the boot was very free hand in it's creation, it had annoyed me enought times trying to get it right previously that I'm happy with that little piece.

DSC_0957.JPG
DSC_0958.JPG
DSC_0959.JPG

From left to right: No sole, Eva sole, example of floor mat

Without the eva sole, both the front and heel will need straps going under the foot to stop them flying off, and attached to each other, then one more looping around the ankle from the heel that the top of the foot can attach to. Hopefully the very rough edit demonstrates what I'm saying.

DSC_09572.jpg

If anyone has more experience with this I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Well this is a quick pic of the rifle. I was a little limited on the colours to use but with plenty of dry brushing I think it looks pretty cool, a little battle worn too. The shoe covers are now painted as well, you can just see the caps at the top of the pic.

I'm just in the final coats of applying some Liquitex Matt Varnish to seal in the acrylic paints. A word of warning if anyone else is going to use this stuff. It goes on thin and looks great, as long as it doesn't pool and dry cloudy, but also there is a chance that it can pull away dry coats of acrylic depending on your priming coat. I used the HexFlex Sealer and Primer from Poly-Props, UK company, and so far I have only seen issues where the sealing/priming layer wasn't completely covered with a full coat of acrylic paint.

With the last coat on later I just need to attach some straps to the boot covers so they don't fly off and, I think, that is everything finished...
Then the questions is, whether I can put everything on by myself...

20220224_221920.jpg

Oh and here are the boots. Considering the original covers were shaped to fit a completely different boot, I bought these specially for this outfit, it has come together quite well.

Looking back at the other armour pieces it'll be easy to see that the base green is not the same colour, as I said before I ran out of the correct spray paint, and I didn't want to spray paint anymore. It is hell to clean up without somewhere outside to do it.

I went with straps going underneath the boots to hold them on the boots, then elastic strips connecting them to keep them against the boot too. It ended up as a square of straps that had to be hot glued onto the covers. And a final strap going across the top of the boot to attach the last cover to, and as a final secure point. Who knew sewing would help a foam build so much :D

DSC_09571.JPG

Who knew that it would be so difficult to try and get a friend over to help get the whole thing on and take some pictures.

So difficult infact that I've tried to do it myself and I have discovered that though it is possible to get dressed solo, things fall off and are impossible to put back on once you're dressed to a point.

So here are some very rough pictures, you will notice the right shoulder pad had slipped down to the elbow, and the right jet wasn't fully attached, it was hanging on by a little velcro/magic tape. I just couldn't reach to fix them at that point. But it shows me where I could make some simple additions to secure at least the jet better.

Whole (5).JPG
Whole (4).JPG
Whole (9).JPG

Feels a bit bare in the crotch area compared to other master chief builds that have a codpiece, so having the rifle in hand brings it together.
The maneuverability isn't too bad, but my spacial awareness is gone, so expecting that I'd bounce off a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back