Materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't a cheap hobby sorry, you could make a Halloween costume with cardboard and poster paint, but If you want something that looks professional be prepared to spend big dollars. Its a big kids hobby, for people with disposable income.

NZ-TK said:
This isn't a cheap hobby sorry, you could make a Halloween costume with cardboard and poster paint, but If you want something that looks professional be prepared to spend big dollars. Its a big kids hobby, for people with disposable income.

i can still try

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, start out with card stock to make the pepakura, then work your way up-you can probably strenghten your armor with hot glue-go look in the pepakura forums-there should be a sticky about that

I made my 1st halo armor out of cardboard. if you are very artistic then go that route for cheap armor. just to let you know how much it take to make a helmet:
$7-10 for cardstock (paper) 120lbs.
$ 2-4 Elmers glue
$15-17 quart of resin
$5-10 pack of fiberglass
$10-20 for can of bondo
$5-10 for sandpaper
$25-70+ for visors
$5-25+ for paints

there is more that I am missing. you can spend a lot more depending on what you need or want to do with it and where you get it.
I spent around $130 to make mine (just the helmet) so i think mine turned out good for $130. the whole suit, which isn't done: $$$ let's just say....a lot.
i'm not trying to discourage you for going after it. I am just giving you the facts. but it you work hard and spend wisely then i think you can make a whole fiberglassed suit for maybe under $300 to $350.
that is just my 2cents. others might (or will) tell you there side. but just take it all in and learn from everyone. that is was i did and that is what everyone here does: Learn to better the community!
Good luck!

i can still try
Absolutely, and you should. You asked for peoples opinions, and I gave you mine. I wasn't trying to discourage you, just tell you the truth as I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really isn't that bad because since it takes a pretty good amount of time (unless you're working 24/7) to make it all the spending is spread out. On my first helmet, not counting the visor, I probably paid $30 or $40. On my second one I'm working on I've spent NOTHING because I had so much left over from my practice helmet. But yeah... you can get cardstock (I use 65lb) for like 4 or 5 bucks (not sure how much comes but it's around 70 sheets) and you can use a few hundred sheets (probably between 200 and 300 depending on size, type, etc) for a whole suit. Then with glue and stuff, you could build a pep suit for under $50... but that's just an estimation. It would still be pep which doesn't look that fantastic but when you start fiberglassing/painting etc that's where it gets expensive. That's just what I've found though... prices in different places can be different and I don't hae a whole suit so I can't speak from pure experience. But by all means, go for it, it's pretty fun.

i dont have a job, im 14 years old, and ive got a pretty good suit underway, and i had no troubles affording it.

honestly, "Pay as you go" dont just save up for ages and buy it all at once, buy cardstock first and do the pep, theres always a way to make money, even if it isnt alot. take your time pepping, when youre done, you should have enough money for your next bit of equipment. i just done chores around the house, and earned money as i went along, dont buy the stuff until you actually need it, AND TAKE YOUR TIME, it took me a whole week to pep my helmet, and it still wasnt perfect, but bondo fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back