mawrTRON's Fred 104 Build log (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved the time lapse! Thanks for posting. I really want your cardboard tube and stand, that looked super helpful.

One tip that might save you time measuring and marking all your cups: Put two of the same cups together, fill the inner cup to the desired amount with water (I like 2oz). Mark where this comes to on the outer cup and cut the outer cup at that line. You can now put any of your other cups into the outer cup and use it to show the fill line without getting your outer "measuring cup" dirty. I also do extra ones at 1oz and 4oz so that I have options.

Again, love the work. Sub'd.

Thanks for the tip will have to it next time!. Its kind of hard to see in the video once I worked out the correct mixture of resin. I used a foam "yardstick" to mark the all the cups.
I thought I was a genius.

So I have done a first round of weathering to see how the colour would look when darkened. Although Id weather it twice as much as this I must admit it is a lot lighter than I anticipated in the sun.
I may have to revisit the colour. Not the end of the world I wouldnt hurt to have another coat on this.
Thoughts people?
20170206_210042.jpg

Also some helmet pics!
20170206_210124.jpg
20170206_210156.jpg
20170206_210241.jpg

I think another round of the black wash will tone it down a little more. I'd try that first if it were me. Helmet came out very nice, thumbs up.

As I've said, the suit is looking FANTASTIC. Weathering could be a bit darker yes......but the overall color looks good. The in-game color changes so much between a Teal all the way to a deep Violet it is maddening and you can't get a true color. I've brought a picture to Home Depot and depending on where you put the sensor on the pic....you get different end result color. I've sifted through many color swatch books and have yet to nail it down to 1 color. I don't know how it would look if the suit were 2-3 separate tones layered since the in game looks changes with every movement.

As far as the helmet goes.....Looks Fantastic as well and I'm happy to say that I think mine is at the same level.....I think.

That helmet resined up real nice. I think I am going to have to try that reinforced with cardboard trick. Did you just apply it with hot glue?

I think another round of the black wash will tone it down a little more. I'd try that first if it were me. Helmet came out very nice, thumbs up.
Cheers! Black wash to follow

That helmet resined up real nice. I think I am going to have to try that reinforced with cardboard trick. Did you just apply it with hot glue?

So I cut small tabs from packets of thick card and super glued them into position. Not the best picture but you can see the strategic positioning.
WIN_20170204_12_05_34_Pro.jpg
Also note the EVA foam 'I' beams. I used the distance measure tool in pepakura to set the lengths perfectly the flexed them into place.

As I've said, the suit is looking FANTASTIC. Weathering could be a bit darker yes......but the overall color looks good. The in-game color changes so much between a Teal all the way to a deep Violet it is maddening and you can't get a true color. I've brought a picture to Home Depot and depending on where you put the sensor on the pic....you get different end result color. I've sifted through many color swatch books and have yet to nail it down to 1 color. I don't know how it would look if the suit were 2-3 separate tones layered since the in game looks changes with every movement.

As far as the helmet goes.....Looks Fantastic as well and I'm happy to say that I think mine is at the same level.....I think.

Yours is looking great! Mighty clean pepwork, the one thing I find with pep/res helmets is that they become prone to warping once the cardstock has absorbed the resin.
I would strongly recommend that you reinforce the helmet from the inside with tabs before resining. This helmet is the least warped one I have done due to this method.
Oh, heres is a pic before resin.
Helm in pep.PNG

Colour news!

So I was a little worried earlier in the week I thought the colour was too bright. However after a second hit of weathering and some cross referencing I am pretty satisfied with the overall colour.

What I did was jumped into Halo 5 and took some images of Fred in different lighting conditions. Then I took photos of the knee piece I made in areas that matched the conditions to see how close I really was.
Although this is not an exact science, it still gives me an indication on how 'Fred Teal' behaves under different light.
The image below is raw elgato images with the images I took. No colour correction.
colours.jpg

I must admit this has been distressing me all week. Not being able to nail down a colour AND being a professional in the graphics industry hurt my confidence somewhat.
Personally I think this is as close as I can get but I would love to hear the 405th families feedback.

On a side note if anyone is interested on how I got a digital RGB colour into a physical PANTONE colour let me know because if enough of you are keen I will put together a quick tutorial.
This is a method I use a lot at work for clients who only have digital versions of their corperate colours.

This Saturday will be another day of painting. Hopefully I will get some of the reds and yellows onto the suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the actual color you used was "Teal"? Just plain Teal? I know you might not have the same paint companies down under but what brand paint did you use?

I dare say you got the colour just about perfect! Especially with the weathering you did the picture on the far left looks practically identical. And the way it changes in different lighting matches the way the armour in game changes exactly. Terrific painting work man, and I'm excited to see the helmet finished! Keep it up!

I just saw it on your instagram ! Amazing job ! Do you paint it with a brush for the "flats" or with a spray ?

This is amazing!!! I envy your seam work!!!! Its just so good!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, my skills have definitely improved from my first foam build!

I'd say you got "Fred Teal" pretty damn close. This is bloody amazing work.
I'm pretty happy with it, thanks for the feedback!

So the actual color you used was "Teal"? Just plain Teal? I know you might not have the same paint companies down under but what brand paint did you use?
\So the colour ''Teal'' is a generic colour, its kind of like saying ''Red'' or ''Green''. Usually they have names like ''Ocean mist'' or ''Seafoam".

Im using a mixture of house acrylic house paints. A mix of Resene, Dulux and British Paints.

I dare say you got the colour just about perfect! Especially with the weathering you did the picture on the far left looks practically identical. And the way it changes in different lighting matches the way the armour in game changes exactly. Terrific painting work man, and I'm excited to see the helmet finished! Keep it up!
Thanks for the feedback dude!

I just saw it on your instagram ! Amazing job ! Do you paint it with a brush for the "flats" or with a spray ?
I will outline my whole painting technique below for everyone :)

Update:
Went into work on Saturday to get some more colour onto the armour. However life (as per usual) gets in the way and I didnt get as much done as I'd like.
This being said, I am at the stage now where I can begin to weather the armour.
although I have done a small ammount I might save this until last as it will be a nice treat for the end. I still have gloves and things to build yet.

So, what are you posting for then mawrTRON?
Due to the high amount of people asking and the fact that my highly experimental painting/weathering method not backfiring, I'd like to introduce you to......

Introduction:
This is a comprehensive guide on how to use acrylic paints to paint armour/weather armour the way I do..
After using rattle cans on my first 2 suits I decided to give acrylic paints a try.
Apart from the low cost and low toxicity of acrylics, they also offer a lot of flexibility with tinting colour which I was pretty keen to explore.
Please enjoy this step by step guide loving crafter by myself, mawrTRON.
Much love 405th.

Equipment/Materials
Colour matched acrylic house paint test pots
Acrylic house paint white test pot
Heat gun
PVA glue (2 litres or more)
Plastic cups
Mixing sticks
Variety of paint brushes
Acrylic Craft Paints (Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Black, White, Metalic silver)
Rags

Step 0. Temperature/humidity
As with all painting, temperature plays a big part in the drying process. However as acrylic are waterbased you want to ensure that you are doing this in summer. The paint can absorb moisture from the aid and take days to dry.
The temperatures at the time that this tutorial was made ranged between 25C - 38C (77F - 100F)

Step 1. Colour Matching
I have created a video on how to colour from an on screen colour to a physical colour. Please watch below.

Step 2. Sealing Foam
Once your foam piece is completed, pass over the entire piece with a heat gun to close the cells of the foam.
Body heatgunned.jpg

Firstly you want to create a 'key' layer for the rest of the paint to stick to. With a 50/50 mix PVA glue and water in spray bottle saturate the suit.
Don't worry about the drips! As the water evaporates from PVA it will level itself out. You will how ever need to be on drip duty towards the end of the drying.
You will notice that once the PVA has dried in on most of the surface the lower edges will still have drips forming.
This is time for the Drip Police™ to move in. With clean rag dab the drips away.

Once the entire suit is dry, repeat this step again to add another 50/50 coat of PVA.

Once the 2ns 50/50 coat is dry brush on pure PVA onto the piece. To level out the coat while the glue is still wet, dip your brush in water brush lightly over the top. This method is called 'laying off' which is a term that all you painters out there will be familiar with.

Once the suit is dry repeat this step again.

Although this should be enough coats, try painting your colour onto a test piece and see how the paint reacts.
5mm foam has larger cells that high impact floor mats and may require additional coats.

Essentially if your entire suit has a semigloss/satin sheen, you are on the right track.

Step 3. Painting
Ensure you have a variety of brush sizes.

As there are an endless number of PVA glues and paints in the world' conduct a test of the paint on a smaller piece to ensure the paint does not react with the PVA coat. If a reaction occures an arylic primer will need to be used.

PVA (in undercoat form) is used in the UK as a primer which means you can paint directly on top of it. Apply your primary colour onto the suit first and allow to dry. Aim to apply the paint as evenly as possible.
Paint is designed to even out as it dries which helps this whole process.
If you have the odd streak don't worry, we call this Improvised Weathering™

Apply additional coats if necessary.
20170206_120756.jpg

With your smaller brushes start to paint the accent pieces and any other details on the suit. Try to not drink too many coffees or Red Bulls for this step as a steady hand is required.

Step 4. First Stage Weathering
In a separate cup, mix a portion of your base colour with a small amount of the white house paint to create a slightly lighter shade. With a dry brush, dab the paint on all leading and high edges of the armor that would be susceptible to wear and tear. Then with a dry rag, dab and remove a portion on the paint. Allow to dry
What you are trying to create is the illusion that the painted metal has been buffer to a lighter colour.
If you look closely at this image you can see a lighter shade of blue on the high areas of the piece.
shoulders Preweather.jpg

Step 5. Resealing

Much like in step 2, the paint will be sealed under a coat of PVA.
With the 50/50 mix of PVA and water, respray the suit until you are satisfied with the gloss level.
You will have to be on drip patrol once again.
PVA Crop.jpg chest drips.jpg full body.jpg
What this step does is not only remove the flat finish of the paint, but it also creates a slippery layer for the acrylic weathering paints to slide around on.
Typically when weathering on top of an acryllic paint, the acrylic will absorb the weathering too quickly with unsatisfactory results.
Oh and as a bonus, it is adding a protective layer to the paint!

Step 5. Weathering

Mix the black, raw sienna and raw umber craft paints in a cup with water. What you are trying to achieve is a black/brown colour with the consistency milk.

Section by section brush/drip the desired area with the mixture being sure to get into all the nooks and crannies. Then with a push, swirl, rub and dab as much as you trying to remove the paint.
The trick is to add weathering in small increments, thats how it would happen in real life right?
Please note that there here is no real method or trick of doing this, get messy and have some fun.

Step 6. Paint scratches

Typically when finishing the weathering on a halo suit, people will use an old brush with a metallic silver paint to brush all the high edges. This give the appearance that the armour has been grazed up against things.
However, for the suit I am working on the character has visable darker wear and tear. Which I will attempt to replicate by replacing the silver with a dark grey/silver/black mix
Capturee.PNG

With a dry brush, proceed to brushing the desired areas with the wear.

Bonus Step.
If you are unhappy with the gloss level of the finished piece and want it shinier, grab your 50/50 mix of PVA/Water and give it another coat or two.
As an added benefit this will seal in any weathering you have done.

I hope this tutorial has helped you,

<3 mawrTRON

That is my method everyone, I have tried to be as comprehensive as possible but let me know if you have any questions.

Stay tuned for more!

Attachments

• Set up.jpg
    Set up.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 296
  • shoulders.jpg
    shoulders.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Oh, boy! this is the secret to the ultimate paintjob! I shall become a magician as well!

Oh, man. you're foam stuff look like they could be 3D printed parts!

Can I convert this into a PDF painting tutorial for the archive? (with spell check;))

Thank you for your method ! :)
NP, I hope it works for you

Oh, boy! this is the secret to the ultimate paintjob! I shall become a magician as well!

Oh, man. you're foam stuff look like they could be 3D printed parts!

Can I convert this into a PDF painting tutorial for the archive? (with spell check;))
Wish I had a 3D printer. Man.. I'll keep dreaming.

Feel free to add it to the archive. Spell check it all you want as long as 'Colour' has a 'U' in it I am happy.

I'm gonna use your method but I'm wondering what is the difference between PVA glue ( wood glue is that right ?) and the black plastidip paint. And also, when you use the 50/50 PVA-water spray, do you wipe it or you just let it that way ?

I'm gonna use your method but I'm wondering what is the difference between PVA glue ( wood glue is that right ?) and the black plastidip paint. And also, when you use the 50/50 PVA-water spray, do you wipe it or you just let it that way ?

PVA (Woodglue) is water soluable, dries (satin) clear and in relatively inexpensive. On the down side there is a bit of drying time.

Plastidip is a rubberised paint, dries a solid colour (usually people opt for black and is pricey and toxic. Probably a bit easier, and quicker drying time.

As for spraying the PVA, I let it level off for 10 - 20 minutes or until only a few drips remain. The PVA water mix does a pretty good job at leveling off nice and flat

Personally I steer clear of plasti-dip. It is super expensive to pick up in Australia, and considering that I am building this suit in my apartment (and at work) I don't want super toxic chemicals lingering around.
In addition both PVA and Acrylic paints are water based, which means they should theoretically work well with each other. Adding something like plastidip into the equation may make the paint work unstable when mixed with PVA.

PVA (Woodglue) is water soluable, dries (satin) clear and in relatively inexpensive. On the down side there is a bit of drying time.

Plastidip is a rubberised paint, dries a solid colour (usually people opt for black and is pricey and toxic. Probably a bit easier, and quicker drying time.

As for spraying the PVA, I let it level off for 10 - 20 minutes or until only a few drips remain. The PVA water mix does a pretty good job at leveling off nice and flat

Personally I steer clear of plasti-dip. It is super expensive to pick up in Australia, and considering that I am building this suit in my apartment (and at work) I don't want super toxic chemicals lingering around.
In addition both PVA and Acrylic paints are water based, which means they should theoretically work well with each other. Adding something like plastidip into the equation may make the paint work unstable when mixed with PVA.

I am going to steal your idea of a 50/50 mix and apply using a spray bottle. I would have never thought of that.
Instead of PVA, I use Mod Podge. It is an all in one glue and sealer. One down side it tends to be a little more pricey than PVA or wood glue.I don't know if this product is available in Australia. Maybe Amazon?
I too have used and now stay clear of Plastidip for pretty much the same reasons.
I have applied it outside. After leaving out for a couple of hours to dry and air out it still stunk up my house. That smell just lingers. Blech.

This build is fantastic, the suit looks incredible and your attention to detail and scaling is superb, and thank you for the tutorial, it's one of the best painting tutorials I've seen in ages and the results really do show on your armour. I can't wait to see this suit finished, good luck!

I am going to steal your idea of a 50/50 mix and apply using a spray bottle. I would have never thought of that.
Instead of PVA, I use Mod Podge. It is an all in one glue and sealer. One down side it tends to be a little more pricey than PVA or wood glue.I don't know if this product is available in Australia. Maybe Amazon?
I too have used and now stay clear of Plastidip for pretty much the same reasons.
I have applied it outside. After leaving out for a couple of hours to dry and air out it still stunk up my house. That smell just lingers. Blech.

Modge Podge is avaliable from art stores in Australia and yes it is more costly.
I remember researching a while back that they are basically made from the same thing. The only difference being the level of gloss of the finish.

Heres the article Creative Hobby Supplies: What's the difference? - Mod Podge, PVA & Decopatch Glue

I guess it all comes down to personal preferce at the end of the day.

Good luck with the method. Although its probably best to wait for warmer weather.

This build is fantastic, the suit looks incredible and your attention to detail and scaling is superb, and thank you for the tutorial, it's one of the best painting tutorials I've seen in ages and the results really do show on your armour. I can't wait to see this suit finished, good luck!

Good luck, I hope it works for you!

Update:
So I will be in New Zealand this weekend and will not be able to work on my suit.
However my visors arrived yesterday and I thought Id share the way I was planning on doing it.
Basically I found these flexible motorbike helmet inserts that were pretty cheap and super flexible that should do the trick.
Not only is the chrome gold perfect but they also come in packs of 2.
received_10211718839344941.jpeg 20170214_154831.jpg
Got them here.
VISOR,INSERTS,ARAI TYPE,2 PACK.MIRROR CHROME/GOLD,DEMON FILMS ,BOB HEATH VISORS | eBay

I havent tried snipping them yet but they are about 0.5mm thick. Im sure my scissors can handle it.

Oh sweet goodness. Some reason I wasn't getting notifications on this build but I go for a look and behold raw beauty...... I could cry...
mawrTRON this is quite something, maybe even the best build I have seen. Your foam work is so clean and after you of a sealed it and painted it, it just looks real. This suit really looks like something bungle in the olden days would have paid a professional business to make and the result was your suit. I tip my hat and my hat under that to you sir!!

Great tutorial for other people, but you made a mistake, MJOLNIR armor can't rust. And this what you pointed out isn't rust but metal shining through the scratched off paint.
If you would look on the 3d model, it'd be more clear, but here is a shot from other angle.
Metal and silver is reflective, so it may appear as different color, depending on angle and area surrounding it. It's just metal, no rust.

- Palmer

2955015-h5-2-fred.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back