Mc Halloween Costume - Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickgyver

My 10 year old Son wanted to be MC for Halloween this year but the off-the-shelf costumes leave a lot to be desired.

Over the years I have built quite a few customes so I decided to build one for him. The information on this site has proven to be invaluable in my research.

The costume is being built using cardboard as the base and then covered with fiberglass and bondo. I am using a 4-1/2" action figure and images from the this site and the web as reference. Here's what I have so far:

helmetchest.jpg

The step-by-step build is being detailed on my website 2008 MC Halloween Costume.

The helmet will have the four bright white LEDs and a voice box, the shoulders and knees will have the blue glowing damage indicators and the Spartan Laser will have an electronic digital playback of the weapon firing.

The cost estimate to build the costume is around $150.00.

Thanks for taking a look.

Regards, Rick.

Looks great, especially for cardboard, the nosepiece is huge though.
But 'invaluable' C'mon? And how are you going to make the detailed visor?

-FSS

Rick welcome to the 405th boards!

It looks fantastic, the helmet and the torso are amazing for just cardboard/scrap build! It show that truly gifted people can make anything with nothing.

Your son must be very happy with a dad like you.

The visor is being fashioned from an old plastic serving bowl my Wife had. It has a convex shape to it and it fits pretty well. The bowl was clear so I sprayed the inside bright gold as seen here:

testfitwithgold.jpg

My Son had a racing costume from years past where the plastic visor had broken off. It is about 1/2mm thick so I'm going to cut it out to the shape of the overlay and paint it gold also. I will have to cut some slits into the bowl where the overlay meets so he will be able to see. The slits will be along the edge of the overlay so hopefully they will be hidden enough, at least for a costume.

@Rickgyver - Fantastic job, coming from scratch. I'm really hoping that you include step-by-step photos of how you assemble your electronics (like the voice box). We have one we cannabalized from another electronic, so I'm always interested in seeing how other do their's.

Will your son's costume consist of the entire costume? Or just certain parts? I'm working on my daughter's right now and I am worried I won't have enough time to finish it. I have completed the chest/back plate, helmet, both forearms and both boots - I still need to do the belt, thighs and biceps. I left the worst for last - thighs not so bad as biceps. I hate them. I really do. I've made biceps/shoulders - no kidding - at least SIX times - I just don't get it. So I can't wait to see how you do yours. Keep up the great work!

I will also be borrowing the voicebox from a very annoying bullhorn toy he has.

I am working on the arm components now and will then move on to the belt, legs, boots and Spartan Laser. There will be no underarmor, just a turtle neck and sweats. All told I will have nearly 100 hours of time invested - and I have to have it completed by the weekend of the 25th for some activities my Wife has planned.

All of the build photos will be posted on 2008 Halloween Costume - MC Build but I'll post some of the more interesting photos here - like the blue lights for the shoulders and knees. These will glow using hot glue to diffuse the blue LED lights.

Thanks for the nice words.

I would really like to but I can't justify the added expense at this time. If for some reason he stops growing and he can use it for years I might update to one eventually :)

BlacRoseImmortal said:
I wish my dad did cool stuff for me like that... when i was 6 he turned me into a gigantic red crab :'(

hey a red crab would have been better then being a ewok for the 3rd year in a row. God i hate teh cold

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally finished my Son's costume last night. He won first place for best costume in the city contest.

mc01.jpg

(With the flash you are able to see into the face shield. Normally you can not see in)

Holy crap! Awesome job, rickgyver! I know your son is thrilled to have a suit like that! How long did it take you to build?

pooper said:
Holy crap! Awesome job, rickgyver! I know your son is thrilled to have a suit like that! How long did it take you to build?

Thanks! I started with the helmet on September 9th. The whole suite took a total of about 80 hours. Finished the boots and blue lights about 30 minutes before the contest last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic job Rick!

It's nice to see a scratch-built set of armor documented so well. Theres very few who have tackled the entire suit from scratch. You're son is lucky to have a Dad who isn't afraid of a little bondo!

Well done!

BTW: Excellent job on the suit lighting, thats a very cool solution. Very few have gone the extra mile in this department.

bluelighton.jpg

lightinbicep.jpg

My niece saw your son's armor and now she's trying to push me to finish her pink armor. I hope that I can put it together as fast as you did.

Dad of the year? Luckiest kid ever?

Be sure to send a message over to Halo.Bungie.Org, they'll want to feature your story at their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back