Medic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

agumathebear

i've seen the short film with a marine medic woman, but i was just watching saints and soldiers and i got the idea to make an odst medic. do they have those? it doesnt matter if they are really in the universe or not, im probably still gonna paint it that way lol, just wanted to know. also, i couldnt post in the halo discussion forum for some reason, is it just me or is there a sticky i should read somewhere lol?

Until you get 60 posts you can only post in the n00b forum and the site discussion, once you hit 60 then you can hit up anywhere.

I like the idea of a ODST Medic put the cross on the chestplate and on the sides of the helm...it will look great!

Agreed there should be a Medic.... and i think you should build it looking forward to seeing somethign different than dutch, mickey, and rookie on here lol

lol well don't get your hopes up, im terrible at pepakura so far. i tried to make the crotch piece and it failed. gonna have to redo it. my hot-glue gun only heats up and up, you can't control the heat, dunno why, just a piece of crap thing so i tried elmer's glue and that crap sucked so im still trying to figure out gluing , but definitely when i get it done ill make a medic. what weapon should i make? i was thinking sniper...

for a medic...sniper..... nah id say flame thrower lol but the glue i use is Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue its at Walmart and just a couple bucks

Im sure that ODSTs would have medics, weather they'ed actualy live long enough to need them is another matter. Good luck, it will be nice to see a new variation on the ODST armor.

The very nature of ODST units would indicate that they would have no field hospitals or even aid posts. Their units operate in numbers figuring around 50, and so their deployment as shock troops mean there's no space for medics outside of rigorously training their personnel. As seen in ODST, they carry medical supplies with them into combat - however, designated medics are unlikely. Save those for larger formations - like the Marines, who would have outfitted aid posts and field hospitals and a chain of evacuation.

Peter Cooper said:
The very nature of ODST units would indicate that they would have no field hospitals or even aid posts. Their units operate in numbers figuring around 50, and so their deployment as shock troops mean there's no space for medics outside of rigorously training their personnel. As seen in ODST, they carry medical supplies with them into combat - however, designated medics are unlikely. Save those for larger formations - like the Marines, who would have outfitted aid posts and field hospitals and a chain of evacuation.

Agreed. Most real-life teams that the ODST style mimics do not usually have a designated medic with them. Personnel are trained up to the point to keep a wounded team-mate alive long enough to find someone who can take proper care of the wounded. Of course, that is usually what combat medics do anyway. They aren't there to treat. They are there to sustain them for as long as it takes to get them proper treatment. However, many teams like to have one or two around who are especially knowledgeable in the medical field. Kind of like how your stereotypical team has an engineer type, a demolitions type, a heavy weapons type, etc.

Regardless of the viability or likelihood of an ODST medic, would still be cool to see. You could even build a copy of Forged Reclaimer's ODST chest piece which has a compartment for stuff in the chest. You could put bandages and whatnot in there as additional props.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the ideas, i like the idea of a flame thrower but i may just make a pistol and a shotgun lol, and i like the chest piece ideas, i know my final product will look good, im a perfectionist, but i may not be done for over a year lmao. i am kinda lost on where to start. i started at the crotch but i need to resize.

could you guys help me out, i need a list from easiest pieces to hardest in order. thanks all very much for the support!

aguma said:
thanks for the ideas, i like the idea of a flame thrower but i may just make a pistol and a shotgun lol, and i like the chest piece ideas, i know my final product will look good, im a perfectionist, but i may not be done for over a year lmao. i am kinda lost on where to start. i started at the crotch but i need to resize.

could you guys help me out, i need a list from easiest pieces to hardest in order. thanks all very much for the support!

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12549

Here's that list you wanted lol

aguma said:
lol well don't get your hopes up, im terrible at pepakura so far. i tried to make the crotch piece and it failed. gonna have to redo it. my hot-glue gun only heats up and up, you can't control the heat, dunno why, just a piece of crap thing so i tried elmer's glue and that crap sucked so im still trying to figure out gluing , but definitely when i get it done ill make a medic. what weapon should i make? i was thinking sniper...

Try practicing on the Halo 1 Marine armor available on the wiki (look in the stickies in the Pepakura section). Those are pretty simple. As for gluing, I like plain ol' white glue (elmers, etc.). If your first attempt failed, maybe you used too much glue on the tabs? What I like to do is run a thin bead of glue halfway across the tab and run my finger across it to spread it out thin. You don't need that much glue to get the pieces to stick. Just squeeze the tabs together with your fingers for a few seconds, and the glue should be dry enough to let go. That way, you won't burn yourself with what seems to be a run-away heating glue gun. Hope that helps!

aguma said:

I just use super glue mostly. Doesn't take much and it sets really quick on cardstock. If it's a tab that is going to undergo a little stretching stress as I move around the pep to put it together, I have been known to melt down a glue-stick on the stove (got to be careful with this as always) and take a modeling paintbrush and brush a layer of hot glue over the tab to help keep it in place in case the super glue fails.

The inherent problem with super glue is that it's really easy to get your fingers stuck to the paper. Lots of layers of lost skin over that. But probably no better than going the burn method with the glue gun. And super glue isn't forgiving in the slightest if you have to separate two pieces to correct a mistake. Hot glue, you can heat up and try again which I like.

The closest real-world analog ODST's is Force Recon. Force Recon uses navy hospital corpsman just like the rest of the Corps. If ODST's have medics/corpsman that person would be trained to keep up with ODST's and would be able to treat all manner of battlefield injuries, even conduct field surgery. They probably wouldn't have the red crosses on their armor, as they would make great targets.

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
The closest real-world analog ODST's is Force Recon. Force Recon uses navy hospital corpsman just like the rest of the Corps. If ODST's have medics/corpsman that person would be trained to keep up with ODST's and would be able to treat all manner of battlefield injuries, even conduct field surgery. They probably wouldn't have the red crosses on their armor, as they would make great targets.

Provided both sides follow LOAC - the red cross is ok. Of course, half of the reasons people are fighting is because one side isn't following LOAC. So yeah. Big Red Cross = Big Shiny Target.

A white cross is as useful to yourself as it is to the enemy. It wouldn't surprise me that designated Corpsmen would have medic markings, though they would only appear on the chest.

Also, I think white and red being a target for enemy fire are a moot point considering ODSTs use both as regular squad designation colours on their helmets...

In support, and defining LOAC to those that do not know much about the military (particularly US as that's where I'm basing my knowledge from), LOAC is Law of Armed Conflict. The general rules of combat as it is imposed on any fighting force and is to be upheld. Doesn't always work that way but at least there are rules.

In LOAC, medical personnel must be marked with the corresponding symbols such as the red/white cross. At which point they are non-combatants and cannot be fired upon or attacked. Rather, they aren't supposed to be. However, if they pick up a weapon, they become combatants so the trade-off for that combat immunity is that you cannot defend yourself without losing said protection.

I do believe though that combat medics can be armed from the get-go and as such, don't wear clearly marked medical personnel items on their person. They just become normal combatants who treat the wounded. And in such small units, you know who the medic is anyway. So it's not like you need to figure out who the medic is by putting a big sign on them.

Problem in war is that (as I said) the other side usually doesn't care about LOAC. So they're going to shoot a medic. If I were the enemy and could care less about LOAC, heck yeah I'd kill a medic. It's a smart move. Shoot at someone that can't fight back and fixes my enemy's troops. It's a no brainer.

Of course, I think I'm getting WAY off topic here so I'll steer it back on point.

In the Halo world, you're not fighting other humans or something like that. Even though ODST is cited as being used in human vs human operations. The application is mostly against Covenant who want to exterminate the entire human race. So honestly, such a thing as LOAC goes right out the window. ODST are nothing more than another slab of meat to be shot as far as they are concerned. Taking into the context of the circumstances, if I were a field medic trailing the ODST, I probably wouldn't want to be marked just for the sake of not sticking out in the crowd. Even though I'd be armed and whatnot - it's just never a good idea to be a beacon for snipers and the like.

But, I doubt the OP is going to be using this armor to go out in real-world combat operations. And the only way to really make the armor "medic" brand ODST is to label it as such. Otherwise they could just take a standard suit and say "I'm a medic" which is no fun.

So I say, brand away!

UNSC_Leatherneck said:

Hit the nail on the head.

You patrol with these guys, your sleep in the same barrack, you train together - no need for the medic symbols. However, as far as painting one up go ahead! These suits are our creations, you should never be limited by what's "canon". It's your suit, feel free to go nuts with it.

Cheers,

Kensai

Ah yes, the other ODSTs may know the medic. But say we look at Halo: ODST...the troops come down in their pods into the middle of a fight surrounded by marines who are cluesless as to their identity. Personal markings would mean nothing to the average marine.

It would make sense to me for a medic in ODST type armour to come down in a pod, and come straight out to be recognised... heck he may not even be an ODST. It could simply be that their are special 'medical reinforcments' who use the same method of insertion and utilise ODST armour for extra protection since their time is not generally spent fighting the enemy.

Imagine a group of marines taking heavy casualties, their medic is dead or overwhelmed, in an ideal situation they could call for some 'medical reinforcement' and a single man would be launched in a pod right to their location as a medic. In this case, the symbols would be even more important so as no marines confused him for and ODST soldier and expected him to be fighting.

Or did I think waaay to much into it ;)

woah! i've started a debate lol! i've been watching the halo short film on youtube looking at the medic marine, i dont think an odst medic would be much different, all it has is two tiny marks on the shoulders and a mark on a large duffle bag. probably different colored armor though.

medic2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back