Mk VI Foam build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidheman

Jr Member
Hey guys! Been a while since I've had a relevant update for the forums. Still plugging away at the T-45d armor; slow going all around. Started a new project though!

8133859525_7917cba186.jpg

Yeah, another foam project. ;) This one is halo related though (for once lol). I'll be working on the Mk VI suit, ala Robogenesis/Demolition's files. After I get through this one I want to take a crack at a custom Mk V Reach set, but one thing at a time!

Here's the current progress as of today, and after only today working!

8133886706_e3ab6a6f6e.jpg

8133886650_c9792e8ea9.jpg

There's a spot under the back of the helmet that didn't angle well, so I'm probably going to cover a section in craft foam to clean it up some. Either way, onward!

Every time I see someone doing a foam helmet, it amazes me at the skill you have. That looks good.

So far so good, pretty clean edges too

Thanks! I still need to do some clean-up, and there are a few small spots I'd like to fill, but otherwise it's turning out cleaner than I expected.

Every time I see someone doing a foam helmet, it amazes me at the skill you have. That looks good.

Thanks! Foam is lots of fun, and really easy to work with if you're moderately patient with it.

*****UPDATE*****

Okay, so I've been a bit sick, and haven't gotten much further than I had before, and since my band saw blade is done for again I won't be getting much else done for a bit. Car's dead, so haven't been able to pop up to Harbor Freight for more foam (and now a new blade lol), so the project may stall a bit until I can get those.

Anyway, got further on the helmet!

8152047209_fef103a7a1.jpg

8152071674_0373bafc19.jpg

8152071030_9862428268.jpg

8152070136_6c1c8ce90c.jpg

The top bit is cut, but not connected yet. Still need to even one side to accommodate the center bits. Also, while the front looks warped, it's because some parts are not yet attached to give it the proper shape. I will also be dremeling down the inset bit on the front later. Chugging along....

This looks great so far mate, but I was wondering if you could throw some hints to a newb to the foam. I've been wanting to get my edges clean like that, but can only seem to do it half of the time. Have you got a specific technique you use and do you cut your foam at angles to get the right shapes or just glue and bend?

Cheers, Squish

This looks great so far mate, but I was wondering if you could throw some hints to a newb to the foam. I've been wanting to get my edges clean like that, but can only seem to do it half of the time. Have you got a specific technique you use and do you cut your foam at angles to get the right shapes or just glue and bend?

Cheers, Squish

Practice, practice, and a nice belt sander/band saw lol. I cut my pieces out, then sand them down to the angle I want. I know there's quite a few people that use blades, but I've never been able to get a nice, perfect, clean cut (though I need to try drack's surgical knife trick). Some sections are curved, which you'll need a heat gun for if you want really good curves, though some pieces curve naturally just from the way they're attached.

I highly recommend looking up drack's foam tutorials for hints, tips, and tricks. You can find them on his Iron Man thread, page 1.

***UPDATE***

Got a little further on the helmet! Haven't been able to do a lot of work on it (slow going with a couple commissions to fill), but I'm nearly finished with this piece. It's a bit big, though I'll have to see how the chest looks with it to see if I want to make it again a bit smaller.

8177280040_32cf53f70b.jpg

8177247423_cf20296240.jpg

Have I mentioned how much fun EVA foam is? ;)

the helmet is looking really great! Edges are wicked clean- I am always in awe when people post WIP of foam builds. I will never be able to fully understand/do foam building. Cant wait to see more!

EXCELLENT THREAD! I would like to see how you finished this up. I'm totally using this thread to guide me through my own build. So far so good but some of the smaller parts are proving frustrating

Looks awesome! Just one question, what thickness of foam did you use for that helmet? Was thinking of doing mine in 4mm or 6mm, I figured 10mm might be a bit thick.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more.

Great job! I have made one myself but yours looks much better! After seeing this, I might work on another Mark VI helmet. At what angle did you put the "chin"? When I did it, the "chin" would stick out and I would have to glue it far into the helmet.

Hey guys make sure to check the post dates, the last post was about 2 years ago. Generally don't post if the thread last post was more than 3-4 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back