Modifying a morph suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Akaron

I plan on starting my build with a morph suit for the base underarmor, I was planning on using a foam training mat I have laying around to provide the necessary layering. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before and if they have any tips on how to get the foam onto the morph suit.

It is very possible. Many of the Batman suits, especially the older 89 style are based on gluing rubber detail pieces onto a stretch base material, so it is a practice that has been around a long time.

The first thing is you will need to Make a "Duct Tape Dummy" of yourself. There are a lot of tutorials for this process on YouTube and just out there on Google, but basically you'll need to get a friend to help, and it involves wrapping yourself in plastic wrap and then covering that in duct tape. You can also sacrifice a pair of old clothes, but the point is you want the duct tape to stick to something other than you. Once you're wrapped up, you get carefully cut out, and then seal the cut back up with tape. Fill the dummy with cotton batting or foam, or whatever you have access to that can hold its shape relatively well.

Now you have a 3-D representation of you that you can put your morph suit on for modifying. This is is important because the Morphsuit is made of a stretch material, lycra or spandex, and you will want to attach the undersuit details to it while it is stretched out, otherwise it really won't work. You can use contact cement, barge cement, Shoe Goo, E-6000, whatever adhesive you prefer to attach the detail pieces to the suit while it is stretched out to your proportions and it will fit you.

I plan on starting my build with a morph suit for the base underarmor, I was planning on using a foam training mat I have laying around to provide the necessary layering. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before and if they have any tips on how to get the foam onto the morph suit.
I have seen many good examples of this, but like everything, it has pros and cons. Spidermonkey60 get in here and show your magic!

Alright so ive been doing this method for a while now and i use a duct tape dummy as a base to work on and then put the morphsuit on it as Cadet stated. If you are using EVA foam that has a texture on one sode like the Harbor freight foam I recommend either sanding it off or cutting it off to ensure its as flat as possible (more flat surface area, more foam to actually connect with the fabric)

I use E6000 to attach my foam pieces to the morphsuit and once it is in the position i want it in i saran wrap the piece tightly to the dummy to ensure a nice firm and flat connection.

Its also important to leave gaps between each of the foam pieces to all for movement and rotation. Plus a little bit of air flow as the added foam on the bodysuit will lead to it running very hot!
9677DFC7-DDCB-4C19-8947-234D165FB4D6.jpeg
1EA9AB24-C3C4-47F4-AF80-C243BA663DC8.jpeg
F92606F5-B731-4E32-A9D0-AC252DDCD8CA.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back