Mold helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
need more help then im starting :p

But can you help we with some stuff first? I know how to create the mold.....ect. well I know my basic stuff.

What I want to know is.

Poly urethane resin? i think

Is that the right stuff for the mold?

and do I have to spray the releasing agent in to the silicone mold before or after I put the urethane in?

and finaly what type of clay did you use? where can I get it from? wand when I paint it with silicone does the clay have to be solid? or damp/wet? many thanx (will AirDrie clay be ok?)

--smilie120

P.S can i use silicone form like a mastic gun or if not where can i but the special stuff? :p

cgspartan said:
if you wanna know about all kinds of different ways to mold and cast stuff. take a gander at this guy's site

http://www.bioweapons.com/images/CELS/HowTo.htm
ah... good ol bioweapons. That guy is somethin esle :)

Yeah....uh..bioweapons site isn't up. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to take care of the inside head space during the casting process. What's the most practical way of doing it?

Anybody? Buehler? Buehler?

Last edited by a moderator:
*sigh*

The inside of the head space? Like the interior of the helmet?

I don't really understand your question, but if you're asking how to mold both the inside AND outside of the helmet.... can't be done. At least not practically. .. because you'd need a floating core inside the exterior mold of the helmet... like a mold within a mold.

Just mold the outside... thats all that matters.

i think i understand his question. since i've been wondering the same too. let's say u have the mold ready. now all the tuts and video tuts i''ve seen was to make "solid" pieces (pretty much like a magnum) u just fitt the pieces of the mold togueter and pour some resin of your choice inside and tadaa, inst-a-piece.
however it is not the case with the helmet for example. you can't just pour resin inside the mold since it would fill the interior completelly :p
i think that the answer is instead of pouring it in you must take a brush and paint the inside of the mold with the resin (i guess viscosity has to be high) and once it cures u got ure helm done.

Note that i have absolutelly no clue about this, never done a mold, but im looking forward to doing some at some point and i gave it afew thoughts :p

the bottomline is that there is a pretty big amount of info on the moldmaking part, and little to none on how to make a piece out of the mold. Hollow parts like helmets aren't the best pieces to start with i guess ^^

To get the cavity inside the helm you dont pour in loads of resin till the mold is full you slush cast it, thet means tippig some resin inside and spinning the helm so it gets everywhere on the mold, and then your left with the cavity for you head.

1more q.-- To get the silicone mold can i just use silicone from a gun? like a mastic gun (but with a silicone cartridge). or does it have to be tha 1frm smooth on? And do smooth on ship worldwide? So will it come to uk?

It's really hard to NOT get into specifics about how it works, as it's pretty complicated. I think I'll put together an abbriviated tutorial or something on this.

This can be done. I do not understand why sean thinks the inside piece should be floating...? It ould be like a manequin head in the mold an the helmet would be poured into the mold onto and around the manequin head.

pepboy said:
This can be done. I do not understand why sean thinks the inside piece should be floating...? It ould be like a manequin head in the mold an the helmet would be poured into the mold onto and around the manequin head.
Even if you were able to do this you'd end up with a solid piece on a mannequin head and no way to get it off. The biggest question is why on earth you'd want to do this? When you're slush casting its not one solid hunk of resin, it's a coating of resin you build up on the interior surface of the mold.

hm0 said:
Even if you were able to do this you'd end up with a solid piece on a mannequin head and no way to get it off. The biggest question is why on earth you'd want to do this? When you're slush casting its not one solid hunk of resin, it's a coating of resin you build up on the interior surface of the mold.

this would be something more like for a form fitting latex/silicon appliance. not for a hard helmet.. I'm with you, i don't see why anyone would want to do that for a helmet, or anything not stretchy. Because you'd never get the damn thing off.

hm0 said:
out of all of this im still confused on how to even get a mold of the helmet in the first place ive still havent found this out i might need a lil explination

LastSpartan said:
Cut the helmet in parts. Make molds of the parts
you see my thing is that i dont have aa helmet i dont know how to make a mold from it and im sure sum1 can sell me their mold or sumthin atleast tell me were to get one

smilie120 said:
To get the cavity inside the helm you dont pour in loads of resin till the mold is full you slush cast it, thet means tippig some resin inside and spinning the helm so it gets everywhere on the mold, and then your left with the cavity for you head.

1more q.-- To get the silicone mold can i just use silicone from a gun? like a mastic gun (but with a silicone cartridge). or does it have to be tha 1frm smooth on? And do smooth on ship worldwide? So will it come to uk?

The stuff in a silicone cartridge is silicone glue, and you can use it but your hel or the piece you are molding should have a release agent on it. If you do not use a release agent then the silicone glue will bond to your part or helm. and the silicone glue has to be put on in thin layers and left to cure for a day or two before adding the next layer and theis method is best for small parts like hand armor or the belt boxs. To stay on the safe side you need mold making silicone. check the smoo-on web site that may have the shipping info your looking for

I do suggest to all of the newbies of mold making the following
smooth-on has several good DVD's on mold making $19.95 each not a bad price since most instructional DVDs go for $39 to $49 dollars
Here is the link for the smooth-on vids
http://www.smoothonsecure.com/store/index....169b6320ed9a2cf
smooth-on also has these vids that will paly on most computers here is the site for that
http://www.smoothon.com/streamhome.htm
and next on my list is buying this set of books from Cast Craft there are four books in the set one of the books is a materials resource guide
with a whole bunch of Company names and phone numbers of the places that sell mold making materials, this book alone is well worth the price of the set here is the link for cast craft
http://www.castcraft.com/
Here is one more thing
A company by the name of Silicone's Inc used to have a free sample program and they would send you a free one pound sample
of any of their product, I used to use their GI 1000 silicone rubber here is their web site look for the phone number call them
and ask them if they still have the sample program.
http://www.silicones-inc.com/

I do hope that this helps every one new to mold making
I have been doing this for twenty five plus years and started back when there was no internet to aid in my search
I spent countless hours on the phone tracking the materials down then days waiting for catalogs or samples

Good luck with all of your projects

Andrew/Spartan648

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back