Molded suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilpunkdj

Can someone explain to me how to make the molded suit? I know you use resin to create it but im not sure what you would do to keep it in shape, and how much it would cost. If someone can help me ansswer those questions that'd be great! thanks!

D.J.

Buy a couple hundred dollars of clay, carve and scult your peices, pour plaster to mold them, take plaster mold off. Vasaline the inside of the mold, pour plaster in, take plaster out, you have a 100% copy of the clay sculpter. Vacume form it, paint it.

Molding cost 1000+ dollars to make, so I suggest pepakura if you have 100 dollars to spend, pepakura is where you make the armor from cardstock, yes it has to be cardstock, then you resin it to give it strength, then you fiberglass the inside and it makes it even stronger.

Both come out looking good, but nothing beats the quality of molded armor.

Pepekura and bondo can be just as effective as molded armor. Molded is ALOT more expensive, but then again you dont have to work so hard at the details if you want to make more than one suit. Theres a thread around here somewhere wtih a Pepekura helmet thats been bondo'd and it looks simply fantastic. Its your choice. Either:

A: Spend lots of money and time to make a really good suit and molds of that suit that you can use several times after that to make more suits.

Or.

B: If you dont have those types of funds, then your better off going the pepekura route and using cardboard for the majority of the raised areas and then use some bondo over that so its not quite so heavy.

Whatever your choice is, good luck!

for 700 dollars you can get a westerfield "ok" detailed suit. i wouldnt buy it because the sharp details are rounded in their armor and some body peices arent the right shape, rather than spending 1000 dollars on making a suit, just buy one off ebay or something, people always sell these.

As per your question:

To make a cast set of Spartan armor you would begin by sculpting or carving a master model of a part in clay, wood, or dense foam. A rubber mold would then be brushed, poured, or sprayed around the master model. After the rubber has cured, the model is removed from the flexible mold leaving behind a negative cavity that preserves the form and detail of the original. Plastic resin is then sprayed, poured or brushed into this mold, often in alternating layers with fiberglass reinforcement. When this resin cures it creates a very strong 3/16” to ¼” duplicate which is then removed from the mold and trimmed. Once all the pieces have been sculpted, molded, duplicated in plastic and trimmed the armor can be painted and assembled.

There are pros and cons to every type of manufacturing... you have to research and figure out which method is right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back