Molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordmagoo

Jr Member
Aight so ive sculpted a few nice helmets, but i have never done anything more then that. I would like to make a mold of a helmet. So i have a few questions.

1st when applying a latex rubber brush on mold, do u have to do something to oil based clay so it doesnt stick and ruin sculpt?

Also when applying master mold do u do it in two pieces, after the masters dried and on do u just take it off or what im confused on that whole part.

Finally, is it best to do a two part mold or just do a slush cast of the full thing, if possible provide a quick example of how to cast it thx..

Ole'Irish-man said:
Aight so ive sculpted a few nice helmets, but i have never done anything more then that. I would like to make a mold of a helmet. So i have a few questions.

1st when applying a latex rubber brush on mold, do u have to do something to oil based clay so it doesnt stick and ruin sculpt?

Also when applying master mold do u do it in two pieces, after the masters dried and on do u just take it off or what im confused on that whole part.

Finally, is it best to do a two part mold or just do a slush cast of the full thing, if possible provide a quick example of how to cast it thx..

First the smoothing of clay and now this....
Please research both methods before you ask. It seems like you know a little bit, but some of the things you're asking can be answered in about 30 seconds of searching google or youtube (not to mention the forums here).

No you don't have to do anything to the clay, although some do. If you're going the latex route (and not silicon), then even more reason not to need to do anything. I reccommend silicon molding though. From experience, latex takes freakin forever, and the difference in price isn't a good excuse when you put it to the quality test against silicon.

I'm....not really sure what you said in the second part. Mother-molding....yes, two pieces, one side at a time. The rest....you'll have to reword; I don't get it.

Two part or slush. I've seen both (haven't done either, personally), and the end product turned out just fine on each. Maybe other people can add their input as far as preference or simplicity :whistle:
Examples of slush-casting can be found in the videos section, and here's one for two-piece casting:
http://www.bioweapons.com/BIOWEAPONS/
(Come to think of it, you were sent here yesterday to see the clay method) :cautious:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a easy way to mold fast is use plaster from a hardware store, thick, strong plaster. It takes only a few hours to dry and can be molded again to make a positive mold. It's cheap and only cost 30 dollars to mold a helmet.

Downside is, if you dont evenly mix the plaster, you can have air bubbles and parts where detail isnt good. Plus, plaster can crack if dropped or roughly used.

Silicon molding captures all detail easily, but takes longer and cost alot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back