MORE GRENADES!!!!!

tahu505

Member DIN
S505
I haven't 3D modeled in a while and was trying to think of ideas. No better idea for a grenadier than grenades! I decided to start with Reach's design since that's where my armor is from. I modeled this nade to be a little bigger than a standard baseball. I have some more plans for this model that I will work on another day since it's almost 3 AM. I'll probably make the other styles of the M9 along with the other grenades throughout the series.
1682848270982.png
1682848306453.png
1682848416532.png
1682848455683.png

For the Reach M9, I made a split version for adding magnets inside. I feel like that would be useful for adding nades onto a belt or chest attachment. Or someone could put one of those retractable clips in there so you can throw it and have it come back to you.
frag exploded.PNG

I also made this render in Microsoft 3D Builder.
reach frag render.PNG

I'm going to try starting a print for one tomorrow, but not out of PLA...

Those look fantastic so far! Might have print issues with those overhangs but worth a test print at least. If they don't behave, might look into slicing it horizontally at the seam instead. Overhangs should be easier and can still add magnets, and the top part should be easy enough to print separately with some supports. Excited to see how they come out!

Those look fantastic so far! Might have print issues with those overhangs but worth a test print at least. If they don't behave, might look into slicing it horizontally at the seam instead. Overhangs should be easier and can still add magnets, and the top part should be easy enough to print separately with some supports. Excited to see how they come out!
Yeah so that's why the split option is there too, to have an easier way to print it too. For a solid print, I normally use tree supports and those are pretty good about being easy to remove and not leaving marks on a print after removal.

my first idea would be to print one solid version and the slush cast a rubber one. keep it soft-ish and throw it around for funsies (not at people of course)

That "not PLA" material I hinted at earlier is foaming TPU! I could have gone lighter on the infill to give it more squish but I've noticed in past prints it doesn't fill in well with low infill. Supports also didn't leave the cleanest areas but I got as much as I could. Doesn't matter too much since it can still bounce!

I also ripped out a chunk when trying to remove supports and found out foam clay can be used for foaming TPU, so that's super cool.
20230502_225154.jpg

20230502_225158.jpg

Overall, very much has a baseball feel in both size and density.

You need to slap one of these stickers on that bad boy to keep it in check
View attachment 330896
A little off topic from the grenades, but I recently found out that the original design for the squid launchers, from the 2007 Bionicle line, was too powerful. It failed Lego's safety test. They shot a foil meant to simulate an eyeball and it would break the foil.

I painted and clear coated my Reach frag.
20230511_172633.jpg

20230511_172626.jpg

Here's a brick wall test.

I'll probably do a Reach plasma grenade next since that makes sense. Not sure when I'll do that, just whenever I'm up to it.

I modeled the plasma grenade from Infinite! This one is also has a split version so I can add magnets inside if I want to. I will also be using this model as part of another model that I will be making a separate thread for.
plasma render.PNG
plasma render 2.PNG

plasma exploded.PNG
plasma back.PNG
plasma side.PNG
plasma front.PNG

I will also be using this model as part of another model that I will be making a separate thread for.
I'm calling it right now:
008-001-wlv-0c28c11f-sm.png

If I am wrong I will be ever so slightly saddened.
Still though, those are some beautiful-looking plasma grenades. I love the shine on the purple in that render. Do you plan on printing it in that foaming TPU you used for the frags or are you going to take a look at flex PLA?

I'm calling it right now:
View attachment 338292
If I am wrong I will be ever so slightly saddened.
Still though, those are some beautiful-looking plasma grenades. I love the shine on the purple in that render. Do you plan on printing it in that foaming TPU you used for the frags or are you going to take a look at flex PLA?
You absolutely called it!
20231107_153015.jpg

I might try out regular TPU. Maybe find one that comes in purple. The foaming TPU is great but also expensive I definitely love having throwable nades that bounce. I might even look into casting them out of foam?

This just in: I am psychic.

I know all of the Rak City enjoyers are gonna love seeing that piece made and out in the wild. I've never heard of foaming TPU before now; what's the difference between it and normal TPU (besides being more expensive)? It being purple out the gate would be nice, since you'd only have to do the silver inset parts. Up to you how you go about it, though I'm excited to see how it turns out.

This just in: I am psychic.

I know all of the Rak City enjoyers are gonna love seeing that piece made and out in the wild. I've never heard of foaming TPU before now; what's the difference between it and normal TPU (besides being more expensive)? It being purple out the gate would be nice, since you'd only have to do the silver inset parts. Up to you how you go about it, though I'm excited to see how it turns out.
I'm likely going to do a Rakshasa build. That's what the other thread will be for. Idk when I'm going to actually build it, but the models will be coming up relatively soon.

Foaming TPU expands and changes density depending on the temperature it's printed at. So you could set a print to be at different temperatures in different sections to make a single flexible piece with varying density.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back