More Halo Novels On The Way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTogusa

From Gametrailers:

"Tor Books has announced that it will publish several new books surrounding the kinda popular Halo franchise (that’s a joke) beginning this November.

The first book, titled Halo: Evolutions, features several short stories from acclaimed authors Tobias Buckell (Halo: The Cole Protocol), Eric Nylund (Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: First Strike, and Halo: Ghosts of Onyx) and Karen Traviss (Legacy of the Force: Revelation).

Additional books will be penned by author Greg Bear (Blood Music and The Forge of God) who will provide a new trilogy of Halo novels, beginning with the first, as-of-yet-untitled book’s release some time in 2010."

One comment on this article made me chuckle:

"unholyrevenger72 said: Books have better story than the games.

most retards will never know..."

Dang it, not Karen Traviss. :( She is an excellent writer, I just really think she needs to stick to her own Universe, and her own creations, as her tie-in stuff, Gears and Star Wars is well written, but riff with inconsistencies with the established universes in order to pursue her own ideas and thoughts on the subject matter, or to highlight her personal creations.

To date, her first Star Wars Novel, Republic Commando: Hard Contact, is still my single favorite Star Wars novel, and I thought was the best handling of the Clonetoopers, in terms of temperament, style of thinking, and just overall depiction. However, Ms. Traviss seems to have fallen victim to becoming to invested in her characters. The characters she created suddenly were leagues beyond any other character in terms of skill or intelligence, going so far as to have her Commandos figure out the Palpatine was a Sith Lord and orchestrating the whole Clone Wars, long before the events of Episode III, which is something the Jedi did not figure out until Palpatine revealed himself to Anakin, and Anakin straight up told Mace Windu. Additionally, it was very odd that when she actually introduced the Delta Squad, the commandos from the game, she completely mis-characterized them, which seems very hard to do since they had rather straight forward personalities in the game, the quiet scary one, the funny one, the by the rules guy, etc, and played Delta squad down in order to make her own commandos seem better. And don't even get me stared on the fact that she has every clone, from the grunt clones, to the commandos, to her super duper better than everybody, never mentioned anywhere else in the Star Wars universe "Null" Arc troopers, have as their greatest desire to drop out of the Republic Army and run away to Mandalore and go AWOL. I mean, the clones were specifically stated in the movie to be genetically modified to be more obedient and loyal, so why would they, after literally being trained their whole lives to be loyal to the Republic, want to run off and join some culture they have never experienced aside from some words taught to them by their training Sargents? It was like She made the Commandos, the regular Clones, and the Mandalorians, her own little world and seemed to completely ignore any other previously established facts or presentations of these characters to pursue and promote her vision of the characters.

Her Gears book had that strange Mary Sue-esque, overtly supposed to be British, Super Warrior women who magically had connections to every character in the game, yet has never been mentioned before, and is easily on par with, or better than all the established characters. There is also the fact that in both her Star Wars, and Gears books, suddenly every character refers to their weapons, ammunition, and gear by British terminology and jargon, even though the established universe very clearly uses American military terminology and jargon. Noting against British terminology, it's just such a drastic break from the established world.

So with Ms. Traviss penning a story, expect to have some Spartan-IIs wanting to drop out of the program and go AWOL to join a culture they have never even actually experienced, maybe even the Covenant :rolleyes , mis-representation of clearly established Game characters, or at the very least have everything in the UNSC suddenly referred to by British Military terms, even though it's very clear in the game sand other novels they use American terms.

At least it's just a short story so hopefully that will limit the damage. And Eric Nylund is in there, so we are guaranteed one awesome story!

i hope she doesn't screw this up. ive been looking forward to more halo stuff to read. also the halo encyclopedia will be good

Finally, like most of you I'm waiting for some new Halo stuff to read. Anyone bother to think about that Forerunner Trilogy or whatever it's called? Personally I think Nyland is probably the best of the Halo writers, though Staten did a good job with Contact Harvest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back