Mortal kombat cyrax build

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomastattoo86

Hi everyone! I have been frequenting this forum for sometime now and have seen a lot of really talented people doing some amazing builds! After getting some good advice from Thorssoli and picking up this book http://www.amazon.com/Prop-Builders-Molding-Casting-Handbook/dp/1558701281 i figured its time for me to give it a shot.

I'm going to attempt to build molds and cast the suit out of a urethane resin. I've started by modeling Cyrax in 3D Studio Max 2011 and then exported each piece as an .obj file and then imported them into Pepakura Designer 3. I purchased a Silhouette CAMEO which can be found here http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Cameo-Electronic-Cutting-Tool/dp/B005Y1CPSU and downloaded the Pepakura CAMEO Viewer which is here http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/.

So here is a couple screen shots of the model:

cyrax_3.jpg

cyrax_2.jpg

Here is the first Pepakura model I built successfully that is :D. I attempted to build it two other times but Hulked out on it and smashed it:angry!!!

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Well that's all I have right now. I think next I'm going to start to fiber glass resin the forearm piece and start the Bondo work after that. Stay tuned for more picks!!!

I agree that it looks a little bit big, but your modeling work is fantastic and you did a very clean pep build. You're off to an awesome start dude.

Thanks guys! I'm not too sure about the size myself, I'm going to build the bicep hopefully tonight and see how the whole arm looks. Right now the forearm piece is about 254 mm in length which is approximately how long my forearm is. The Pep files scale things uniformly so if i make one dimension smaller they all do. Any suggestions??

***************UPDATE***************

Its a small update but I just finished the pep for the whole left arm. I redid the forearm as a few suggested and it looks way better. Check it out!!

IMG_0709.jpg

Nice cyrax! Looks good so far, can't wait until you get to the helmet. I have been looking to see if somebody will be doing one of these.

Ohhh I love Cyrax! My favorite character since MK3! I'll be keeping my eye on this build. I was planning on doing this way in the future when I get good with foam because I want to be able to move without worrying about limited mobility and my armor clashing at the joints like it does with my MK VI Halo suit. Good luck with the build, looks great so far!

That model is so neat! I agree with the others on the scale -- a bit too big. I think this'll look super cool when it's finished. Your pep work is nice, so you shouldn't have much trouble with the rest of it. Good luck!

Thanks guys for all the compliments!! Well after last night I finished putting together his shoulder piece and decided that I need to make some modifications to the model so it wears better and allows for more movement. So unfortunately I'm back to square one, but I have learned a ton about putting together Pep models and where its best to make seams for gluing. Also I have pieces that I can test coating it with the fiber glass resin and not worry about it if it messes up! When I get home from the tattoo shop tonight I'm going to finish laying out the forearm and bicep pieces again in the Pep Designer and hopefully print them, so tomorrow I can put them together. Stay tuned!

What you could do is make certain sections of armor out of foam instead of fiberglass like the knee and elbow joints. I've seen people with entire foam suits and they have great mobility and can look just as nice as a fiberglass suit. The method is a modded version of putting together a pep model. I think they don't use the tabs, I would have to look further into it myself. Aside from the inner thighs on my halo suit I haven't worked much with foam using pepakura. Dont be afraid also to do a little bit of scratch building, sometimes you just have to modify a suit slightly to be able to move better in it. Game designers a lot of times dont make their characters realistic. Heres my scratch built Cyrax suit for some motivation, you can do it! Always good to have another Cyrax around!

Cyrax.jpg

Hey, great to see another 3D modeler moving to the real world :)

You will have a hard time fitting into that armor though. Here's what I did...

Get a friend with a good digital camera and go outside in either just shorts or tight form-fitting clothing. Take LOTS of pictures of yourself (that's why you need a friend) from all angles.
Then go to this website:
http://www.123dapp.com/catch
And use the photographs to assemble a 3D model of yourself. Full body 3D scanning for cheap :)

There's a good chance that the result will be VERY rough and riddled with a lot of problems. But it's still a reasonably good guide for proportions and scale (make sure to get some measurements of yourself, too).

You can import this model into 3ds max and scale it to your own height and custom fit all the armor pieces to your own body. You can then export them into Pepakura Designer at the correct scale and - hopefully - everything you put together will actually fit you in the real world as well.

Also try to put together some sort of quick rig, like create a Biped and scale it to your scanned body, then link the various armor pieces to the appropriate bones. Then you can test if it is still possible to bend your arms and legs and sit down and such. Most video game characters have bendy armor and intersecting pieces because they can get away with it, but in real life you may find that you can't even walk around in that suit.
A lot of people here can probably agree that the Mark VI from Halo 3 is a good example for this.

I can already tell that this suit would have problems at the elbows, knees and the entire hip area... and you'll need huge boots to have only two toes :)

Hey, great to see another 3D modeler moving to the real world :)

You will have a hard time fitting into that armor though. Here's what I did...

Get a friend with a good digital camera and go outside in either just shorts or tight form-fitting clothing. Take LOTS of pictures of yourself (that's why you need a friend) from all angles.
Then go to this website:
http://www.123dapp.com/catch
And use the photographs to assemble a 3D model of yourself. Full body 3D scanning for cheap :)

There's a good chance that the result will be VERY rough and riddled with a lot of problems. But it's still a reasonably good guide for proportions and scale (make sure to get some measurements of yourself, too).

You can import this model into 3ds max and scale it to your own height and custom fit all the armor pieces to your own body. You can then export them into Pepakura Designer at the correct scale and - hopefully - everything you put together will actually fit you in the real world as well.

Also try to put together some sort of quick rig, like create a Biped and scale it to your scanned body, then link the various armor pieces to the appropriate bones. Then you can test if it is still possible to bend your arms and legs and sit down and such. Most video game characters have bendy armor and intersecting pieces because they can get away with it, but in real life you may find that you can't even walk around in that suit.
A lot of people here can probably agree that the Mark VI from Halo 3 is a good example for this.

I can already tell that this suit would have problems at the elbows, knees and the entire hip area... and you'll need huge boots to have only two toes :)

Right on man I'm going to look into that, thanks! I've been drawing up some ideas on how to address the knee area and I think I have a pretty good solution. As for the elbows I remodeled them last night closer to the way the Iron Man elbow joints work. Its not 100% accurate to Cyrax but the change is so small it won't be noticeable unless you are a diehard Cyrax fan ;) The hips are what's worrying me right now...I'm haven't given a lot of thought on them yet but will soon. As for the toes I think I may make completely custom feet by Pep building them to my size and lining the inside with some of my old Converse insides. I figured two toes in one side and three in the other :) Like a samurai!!

What you could do is make certain sections of armor out of foam instead of fiberglass like the knee and elbow joints. I've seen people with entire foam suits and they have great mobility and can look just as nice as a fiberglass suit. The method is a modded version of putting together a pep model. I think they don't use the tabs, I would have to look further into it myself. Aside from the inner thighs on my halo suit I haven't worked much with foam using pepakura. Dont be afraid also to do a little bit of scratch building, sometimes you just have to modify a suit slightly to be able to move better in it. Game designers a lot of times dont make their characters realistic. Heres my scratch built Cyrax suit for some motivation, you can do it! Always good to have another Cyrax around!

Cyrax.jpg

Thanks man!! Your costume is awesome! I was gonna do the old school one first but once the newer version came out I was hooked!! I haven't given thought to using foam and will consider using it for some of the pieces that require more mobility.

For the feet you could get your hands on some Tabi boots. They are made in a similar way with a split sole at the end for the big toe.

For the feet you could get your hands on some Tabi boots. They are made in a similar way with a split sole at the end for the big toe.

OMG! You are a genius! Thanks for suggesting that. I wondered what i call Ninja boots were really called. That is gonna make the feet SOOO much easier to build. Thanks again!!

OMG! You are a genius! Thanks for suggesting that. I wondered what i call Ninja boots were really called. That is gonna make the feet SOOO much easier to build. Thanks again!!

No problem, I've done my prior research when it comes to the cyber ninjas. I hope your suit goes well. I've never seen the MK9 Cyrax done yet so I'll help in anyway I can. If your suit turns out great it'll help me whenever I start to make mines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back