MrJamin's MK VII

MrJamin

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S829
Starting up a thread to document my progress on my next suit! I debated waiting to post this until I got further along in the project, but that seemed to be too daunting of a task.

Intro:
I was extremely proud of what I accomplished after completing my MKVI suit. This was a project that I had dreamed about for years and finally saw it through to completion. However, as soon as I completed it I knew that it would not be my last suit. I knew that I could do it so much better with all of the things that I have learned.

And then along came TurboCharizard... I heard whispers from him earlier this year that he was working on a secret project. Shortly before Otafest he gave me the chance to guess at what he had been working on.

Making.png

Well it turned out I was correct (he might have given some hints). Shortly after he put the files up on his website I completed my purchase! ( I am going to do his fully modular build too)

Order Number.png

(Bonus that I got to be the first order on his fancy new website).

The other major development for this project has been the arrival of my larger format printer. This will allow me to print so much larger and faster!
XL.jpg

XL Build plate vs MK3S
1693242483652.png

Plan:
One of the major things that I learned with my last suit is that 100% 3D printed isn't necessarily the best. I've never worked with EVA foam before, but I plan to put some into the mix for this suit!

Unlike with my last suit - where I just printed most parts without scaling - this suit will be fully scaled using Armorsmith! I've spent tons of time playing with the scaling and getting feedback to arrive at the current state.

Armorsmith.png

I also took a page from Rock Lobbster and have played around with Blender to work out the colors (or at least a tentative plan)
Colors.png

I've even planned out what the paint would be.
Green.png

Orange.png

Beige.png

Finally, for this project I am going to try to track costs + time as much as possible.

1693242922824.png

1693242985472.png

Current State:

I have fully completed printing the chest and all of the greeblies for it. I need to get some other prints completed for a bit so I will be taking a slight pause before resuming the prints.

XL in Action
Chest Top.jpg

Current Chest:
Chrst Front.jpg
Chest Back.jpg

I fully expect this project to take quite some time. However, hopefully not as long as my MKVI build.

Check back in for more updates as things go!

That XL is a BEAST! Very cool to see someone using it.

Chest is looking awesome already! Can't wait to see the progression. I'm working on my Mk VII as well, so I might have to shoot ya some questions!

That XL is a BEAST! Very cool to see someone using it.

Chest is looking awesome already! Can't wait to see the progression. I'm working on my Mk VII as well, so I might have to shoot ya some questions!
It really is a beast. I did the semi-assembled kit and it has been amazing since I got it together. I did two calibration prints (~2 hours of print time) and then chucked a 28 hour helmet at it.

1693249504282.png

I have been using all three of my printers on this MKVII build so I can really get parts out quick when needed. I got the whole chest + all greeblies done in ~ 5 days.

TurboCharizard posted his amazing build thread today and it has got me super excited to get back to working on this.

I've wrapped up some commission prints so the printers are ready and waiting to start on the next pieces!

Well nothing like very little progress in 2 months time. I had a bunch of prints that I ended up doing for other folks and have finally wrapped those up for a bit.

Currently Completed parts:
Chest
Biceps
Left Shoulder

Next Up:
Right Shoulder
Forearms
Waist

Coming out so nice.

Side note: I want your (basement bar?) space there.

can't he use the slip stream to get there lol. but on the other hand your prints look really clean i will be watching to see how this comes out.

The prints are looking good man! Can I as how your chest piece fits irl in comparison to armoursmith? I'm having trouble with fit at the moment myself.

The prints have been completed**

1704086358287.png

** Minus some gaskets and pieces that I want to experiment with flexibles for.

A few weeks ago I wanted to try to get this suit to this point by the end of the year. I barely made it (last piece finished ~8 PM tonight)

There were a few pieces that tried to make me miss the goal, but I got it done!
1704086452312.png

Now on to the part that I hate the most - getting everything ready for paint.

Now on to the part that I hate the most - getting everything ready for paint.
Just curious... Was there a reason you didn't seam and sand as parts came off printers, and instead waiting until you had them all? Like contain the mess and clean up to one long day?

For me... as an old guy with way too much bodily damage, sanding as they come off so I only do a part a day basically, means less tennis elbow. Doing an hour or two per session instead of 12 hour days of sanding is just a lot easier on my old tired bones.

I can't wait to see this done but you always make them look beautiful now I have to wait to see it done.

Just curious... Was there a reason you didn't seam and sand as parts came off printers, and instead waiting until you had them all? Like contain the mess and clean up to one long day?

For me... as an old guy with way too much bodily damage, sanding as they come off so I only do a part a day basically, means less tennis elbow. Doing an hour or two per session instead of 12 hour days of sanding is just a lot easier on my old tired bones.
I am not trying to speed through the build. Even though everything is printed now we are still probably talking months before I am approaching being ready to paint.

Update / No Update

I am wrapping up another project I've been working on and then I will finally be starting to work on the assembly of this suit!

(other Project is a mobile woodworking cart / workbench)
1713386365137.png

I've also picked up one of the fun plastic welders that TurboCharizard uses and have been playing around with this. I plan on using this to strengthen the joints on this new suit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back