Muttvader's ODST build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can at least tell you about the number system. Once you successfully deploy your suit, and it's approved, you are given the option of picking a number that will be your identification number. You submit 3 choices along with your deployment form, and you'll get your top priority number if it is available. Start thinking of 3 digit combos!

in the game you mostly seem a shortened version of the squad members name or call sign. so what about MTVDR?
Yeah usually callsigns on the chest plate are related to your name. A lot of people here use names similar to or alluding to their profile name. You could do "Mutt" I think that's kinda Kool but I'm kinda weird so... It very much sounds like a nickname given by your squadmates.

Muttvader - that weathering is amazing! How did you achieve the paint chipping?

Yeah usually callsigns on the chest plate are related to your name. A lot of people here use names similar to or alluding to their profile name. You could do "Mutt" I think that's kinda Kool but I'm kinda weird so... It very much sounds like a nickname given by your squadmates.
I kinda like the sound of that. Mutt may end up being the wining choice for this now haha.
Muttvader - that weathering is amazing! How did you achieve the paint chipping?
Thank you very much! The chipping effect was done with masking fluid. You dont have to use it specifically because you can get a similar effect with toothpaste or mustard (an old trick I picked up from the Dented Helmet a long time ago, and it really works). The masking fluid is just easier to work with. I dont use anything special, just some Winsor and Newton masking fluid that can be picked up from most hobby stores (or Amazon). You can get some that change color to let you know it is dry but honestly, unless you are doing something super precise I dont really think the color changing ones are necessary. To apply it I just use an old cheap craft brush since the latex dries and clogs up the bristles. Then designate that brush as your masking brush.

Small update for the week as I wait for some soft parts to come in, thanks to FalseShepherd I ended up deciding to use "Mutt" as my callsign as well as adding the MK117 decal on the chest plate

20210723_145635.jpg

The other update were the thigh pieces. This is still the "clean" version, highlights haven't been painted or washes applied since I want to mount them onto a thigh platform first. I also wanted the thigh pieces to have that distinct green rectangle light, but am not smart enough to make them actually light up. So instead I made a small 3d light greeble and painted it to give the appearance it was glowing.
20210722_163858.jpg
20210723_145706.jpg
20210723_145713.jpg
For those of you interested, that light effect can be achieved with a paint brush but it is WAY easier with an airbrush since you wont have to try and blend the paints with dry brushing. In this case, I primed the piece with white paint and gave it a thin base coat of green florescent paint. I then shaded some areas with a mixture of the green florescent paint, white paint and a bright blue paint (think of a vibrant, almost teal color). I highlighted the center area with white paint to give the glowing effect and then misted the whole thing with the florescent green again to blend it all together. I wish I would have taken progress pictures on the way (I just get so focused on the painting I tend to forget to take updated shots lol) to show the difference since it is subtle, but it makes difference compared to just painting it florescent green.

Hopefully the next couple of updates will involve the harness, shoulder and thigh straps to attach the armor, as well as working on the neck and back pieces I decided to print instead of making them out of foam.

Small update for the week as I wait for some soft parts to come in, thanks to FalseShepherd I ended up deciding to use "Mutt" as my callsign as well as adding the MK117 decal on the chest plate

View attachment 308201

The other update were the thigh pieces. This is still the "clean" version, highlights haven't been painted or washes applied since I want to mount them onto a thigh platform first. I also wanted the thigh pieces to have that distinct green rectangle light, but am not smart enough to make them actually light up. So instead I made a small 3d light greeble and painted it to give the appearance it was glowing. View attachment 308202View attachment 308203View attachment 308204For those of you interested, that light effect can be achieved with a paint brush but it is WAY easier with an airbrush since you wont have to try and blend the paints with dry brushing. In this case, I primed the piece with white paint and gave it a thin base coat of green florescent paint. I then shaded some areas with a mixture of the green florescent paint, white paint and a bright blue paint (think of a vibrant, almost teal color). I highlighted the center area with white paint to give the glowing effect and then misted the whole thing with the florescent green again to blend it all together. I wish I would have taken progress pictures on the way (I just get so focused on the painting I tend to forget to take updated shots lol) to show the difference since it is subtle, but it makes difference compared to just painting it florescent green.

Hopefully the next couple of updates will involve the harness, shoulder and thigh straps to attach the armor, as well as working on the neck and back pieces I decided to print instead of making them out of foam.
Looks awesome brother! Glad I was able to help a fellow trooper.

Time for another update!

So I have made a lot of progress, and didn't exactly take pictures of everything since I am trying to get this finished for an upcoming convention, but I will still try to describe what was done and how/why I did it.

Since was in the painting phase when I last left off I thought I would lay out how I do my painting. I try to do my painting in this order: Base colors, Any chipping/slight weathering effects, then some sort of wash and finish with highlights on any raised edges (this would include adding any silver weathering scratches). This isn't the only way to paint by any means, but I have always liked the way the end result comes out.

So now I was on to the washes. instead of doing a straight black wash, I try to make it a dark gray or brown instead. Unless you are going for an ashen or soot type of "dirty", this tends to give it a more realistic look since dirt itself isnt black haha. I will cover the entire piece and let it dry for just a little bit. Once it has some time to sit, I dab the excess paint off with a damp cloth.

Here is a side by side of what the wash application looks like before I wipe it off.
20210730_084001.jpg

Here is the highlighting process. It is very subtle, but it really makes all of the raised edges stand out. The right half of the shoulder is highlighted and the left has nothing.
20210730_102255.jpg

Another comparison shot of the shoulders, one with highlights (left) and one without (right)
20210730_102736_HDR.jpg

The highlighting effect is just achieved by using a slightly lighter color of the same type of color you were previously painting with. It seems obvious when I type it, but a simple way to do that is to just mix white paint to whatever paint you are using (it took me a long time to learn that for some reason haha)

Once The shoulders were complete, I decided to do a fabric shoulder pad to go underneath to actually attach it to my arm. I cheated any bought some super cheap deltoid protector pouches in ACU pattern that would actually be used in conjunction with real body armor on a plate carrier (these are just the coverings, and not the actual body armor iteslf) This just seemed like an easier way to attach them to the plate carrier base that I am going with for the armor. I only did a slight modification by adding a secondary piece on top so the "pad" looked like it covered under the top of the shoulder armor as well.
20210805_154920.jpg

And the final picture of the shoulder armor attached with the shoulder "pad"

20210805_154447.jpg

After some chicago screws were added to actually attach them to the shoulder pad, the test fit was completed. I know the look of this isn't exactly "cannon" or go with game reference photos at all, this is more of an artistic liberty that I chose to take because I didn't believe I would have the skill set or time to make the appropriate shoulder pads. If I get a chance later, I will post my updates on the soft armor.

I finally have all of the strapping hooked together so I could try out a test fit, and couldn't be happier with the look. Overall (and I don't have many detail pictures of this, but I can if people are interested) my method of attachment was definitely overly complicated because I made attachment points for all of the pieces, BUT, everything is securely mounted within the actual MOLLE system of the vest. This will keep the pieces roughly in the correct spot without having to permanently attach them to the vest via adhesion. I am not a seamstress by any means, but I ended up making the shoulder pads from scratch and was pleased with the look. Things should be ready by the weeks end.
20210813_135807.jpg
20210813_135823.jpg

So I know I skipped a few more steps in this process to get to the end result, but I finally had everything done up enough to wear it out to a convention. I would still like to add some mud to the feet and legs and possibly some soft ammo pouches, but as far as the construction side of the costume goes I would call this one good enough to wear.
20210814_130934 (2).jpg
20210814_130943 (2).jpg
20210821_180850325_iOS (2).jpg
20210821_180855719_iOS (2).jpg

And then of course one with a group shot. What I thought was really cool about this was that it was not planned to find this many ODST's all at once. There was at least 4 or 5 others that were also individually walking around the con floor, as well as a Jerome Spartan II. If I am remembering this correctly, only one of these guy (who I know) is a 405th member. The others were not.
20210821_195316522_iOS (2).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back