My armor. [COMPLEATE!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextehnurd

Okay so, like you guys have seen many other posts on here for, I am making some armor for halloween, I am prety sure I will be able to finish by then, Have a week long break from school in two weeks to work on it, so now on to my quesions.

Okay so I was trying to build my helmet, First I looked at the scaling thread and Did my scale, and the helmet scale was 24... I didnt know any better so I started asembling it and what do you know? Its WAY too small, So I start again with 26 scale, STILL a bit too small, So now what should I try? 29? I'm 5.9'' But I guess I have a huge ass mealon, Whadda ya know? The 26 scale for the biceps worked great, along with the forarm, I finished the right forarm and bicept after I got frustraited with the helmet.

Second question, So While I was asebling the bicept I had an idea... Instead of resin/fiberglass why not just get a huge pack of hot glue sticks and use that for support, so I started with a little test on a panel of the bicept, and it seems to work great. So im going to finish the bicept with this method and see if it works, What are all you're thoughts on this? The only thing I dont think this will work with/will need a few good layers of glue is the croch, I'm going to be sitting on my armor all day on halloween day, School =D. So yeah, I was thinking of just fiberglassing the main parts. I will tell you guys with pics on how this hot glue experiment goes, So far there is no warpage and I covered one of the large panels.

Thanks!
~Alex

wouldnt that look like crap. hot glue doesnt spread evenly, it would be lumpy. plus you wouldnt be able to sand or carve it. dude resin isnt that hard to work with.

Hot glue is on the inside, right now im just testing it to see the results I can get with it, What im going to do is after gluing the inside, Im going to use filler for everything that needs touching up on the outside, then a light coat of resin on the outside.

So now what should I try? 29? I'm 5.9''
I'm 5'7" and have a big squash, so I built the helmet with a scale of 29. Or 30. I forget. Print out the visor part at whatever scale you're doing, glue it together, and hold it up in front of your face. If the edges line up with the sides of your head or extend a wee bit past, you should be okay. One of the cool things about the MJOLNIR helmet is that the peripheral vision roxorz.

Last edited by a moderator:
i used hot glue and it didnt seem to to mess me up. just make shure uo dont put tu much or it will get a little bit lumpy. and make shure you cant see it on the finidhing product or it will look reaely ugly with the paint on that.

Print out the visor part at whatever scale you're doing, glue it together, and hold it up in front of your face. If the edges line up with the sides of your head or extend a wee bit past, you should be okay.

Shouldnt he print up the back side of the helmet? Ya know, the long curved piece? I started a test helmet in paper and when i got the visor done it seemed to be ok, but once i started working on the back of the helm, i noticed that in order for it to fit comfortably over my ears (along with padding on the inside) that it would need to be larger.

I'm not too sure though, i'm still quite the noob at this whole papercraft thing. Better listen to some of the experienced guys over me! :D

It might be a bit small, but it's really up to you and your taste. Personally, i like the amor to be a bit larger, then i can fill it in with clothing or a pressure suit. Makes ya look a bit more filled out, but none of that is nessicary.

I say go with what you think looks right on you. All the armors look different on everyone because of height and body style. Some people have long torsos, some have long arms, that kind of thing. I think it looks just fine on you. Just shoot for proportion on your body and you should end up lookin pretty sweet!

Alrighty, Suit done! I decided to just go with fiberglass, too many turn offs about hot glue reinforcement, so here we go, these are pictures I took before I went to the local cub and got many odd glipses, after that though I went to a halloween party with a costume contest and got first place :lol: so here you go! going to do a bit more about the paint before halloween day.

Will take some pictures of the helmet soon.

blinkava44 said:
geoviper..

read stickies..

and dont double/triple post!

Helmet size looks perfect, but the chest, crotch and thighs looks WAY off IMO.

Don't forget guys, each piece of armor is intended to be padded. Armor doesn't just sit on your frame without it.
The armor is supposed to make you look, really larger than life.

Yea, paint is ok, not the best, many peices are off scale, but over all, it's a very good costume, I like it, Mine isnt done yet, almost, just need 1 more day!!! A full sunny day, or else I will miss my county's trick or treat day ( cant show off the costume to tons of small kids then...)

Hah, yeah my main problem with this project is the scaling, don't get me started, but with no time left to redo anything I decided to screw it and just get this done for halloween. Then I'm thinking about selling it so I can build a better, cooler suit. Paint was crap when I took these pictures, I improved it since then, didnt have time to detail ANYTHING so thats why its so bland, but I have since then, wil get more pictures up when I manage to get my camera working again.

alextehnurd said:
Hah, yeah my main problem with this project is the scaling, don't get me started, but with no time left to redo anything I decided to screw it and just get this done for halloween. Then I'm thinking about selling it so I can build a better, cooler suit. Paint was crap when I took these pictures, I improved it since then, didnt have time to detail ANYTHING so thats why its so bland, but I have since then, wil get more pictures up when I manage to get my camera working again.

I understand that LOL

Came up with the idea to do a GoW Cog armor set in September.

Needless to say, I didn't have NEAR enough time. Now, I have a year.
Whipped up some Wolverine claws, shaved my beard to look like logan, picked up a cigar, whamo. Instant Halloween party costume.

Everyone thought the claws were cool. I thought they were lame...just EPS sheets, wrapped in aluminum heat ducting tape.
Now, I'm stuck sporting the Wolvie chops for a week until the rest grows back in. LMAO.

Can't wait to see more pics, good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back