My First Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschach semaj

Jr Member
Howdy there.

I've only registered on the site about 3 hours ago, and I'm about to begin by FIRST EVER project.

I'm starting simple, and I'm going to be designing it to be attached to this cheapey little Halo MC costume, HERE

I;m going to be using the 'Pepacura method' to further define the armor's main pieces... leg, shoulder, chest, etc.

I'll also be making my own helmet, Recon, to replace this stock Mk 6 one.

I'm not sure if this is an actual method, but I'll fold and connect the Pepacura, then hot glue cardboard pieces on top. Then using the hardening techniques, inducing attempting to lace the thing with metal wire to ensure durability.

I'll be uploading pictures is they come, if anyone cares to see them.

pictures would be nice. and you can use the visor of the mk 6 for the recon.

just pop it out and cut it so it fits in the recon helm.

good luck!

what recon helm are you doing?

I think I might have a easyer one for you to do for your first one.

I'm not sure... I downloaded from some pack that was advertised here. It said 'Grunt - easy', so it looked appealing. The filename is RECON_helmet.pdo

it might help to actually start on a less complex file such as the activation index it is fairly easy one sheet i wouldn't jump straight in get a feel for it first because when you mess up your helmet and believe me you most likley will you will be very discouraged. a good starter project would be

1. Activation index

2. Security helmet and visor.

3. (Non Halo) Salem Mask from Army of Two

@Namauri

Sounds like a good idea... the Recon helmet is more or less 15 sheets... I might give Security a shot, or the Activation Index, or even Salem's mask, although the only thing that (looks) complex about the last one would be the paint job.

Thanks for all the support, guys! I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Well, finally got to the costume shop and picked it up.

The suit itself is terrible, consisting of thin foam-like forearm, chest, cod, and shin pieces. Everything else is coloured in, and there's nothing on the back.

It will take quite a bit of work on my part to get it up to par, but this is a stater costume, right?

The Helmet's not bad. Pretty sad visor, and the construction is just thin plastic, but it will provide a very good analog for doing custom Mark IV helmets.

Planning out the install for lighting, might get around to a vocal adjuster (to make me sound like the MC), a cooling system, and MAYBE a custom LCD linked to a camera in the visor... but I doubt it.

For now, I'm going to be working on the shoulder, back, abdomen, and thigh pieces, along with helmet mods. I might also add some parts to the chest to make it more 'CQB' like... namely, a knife sheath.

I'll probably just use some water-soluble fabric epoxy (if they make it) so that if I want to exchange parts, they'll be easy to remove.

OK, got all the components needed for weiring the LEDs into my helmet, now I;m just contemplating whether or not I should repaint the armor to some neat dark grey and white matchmaking colours.

Feel free to put your 2 cents in.

(sigh), well, because of some serious issues revolving around procuring a decent visor, I think I'll need to step down (ish) into either a flight marine, a reg marine, or some sort of hybrid Marine/ODST mix think... I'm going to pep the parts and mix-n-match till I find what I like.

If anyone has somewhere where I can get an Urban camouflage BDU for the marine, please, enlighten me.

Rorschach/semaj said:
(sigh), well, because of some serious issues revolving around procuring a decent visor, I think I'll need to step down (ish) into either a flight marine, a reg marine, or some sort of hybrid Marine/ODST mix think... I'm going to pep the parts and mix-n-match till I find what I like.

If anyone has somewhere where I can get an Urban camouflage BDU for the marine, please, enlighten me.

Most army surplus stores will carry BDU's, might try looking around your neighborhood and see if there's any nearby. If not, head online and do a search for Urban BDU's, ACU, or Subdued ACU.

Here's a quick search result. This page has a couple of Urban and subdued Urban BDU's. Some good brands of BDU's are Propper and Tru-Spec. A set will probably run you around $60, but both are fairly good. Propper's BDU's tend to be a bit more durable though.

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/galax...amouflage_bdus_clothing_military_fatigues.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the Helmet resined last night... it was still a little damp when I woke up. Pretty odd, but it was a cold night.

Going to paint the helmet, attempt to weather it, re-wire the LED's, install my new homemade visor (out of a pop bottle and some cheap window tint), take some pics and throw 'em up!

I'm also going to be attempting to continue with the MK VI project, although the ODST will take priority. I might just use my MK VI helmet with the ODST outfit as I;m matching the colours and I'm too lazy to make another helmet :p

I' also throwing a BR into the mix.

Here's pic of the Mk VI helmet primed... I've still got an hour to wait, but I intend to have it completed tonight.

[attachment=11935:DSCI0188.JPG]

You can kinda see the light hole, and it's evident that the visor is absent. I could only upload one as they're all like 3 MB a piece...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back