My first build, Magneto First Class helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehjrow

After discovering pepakura only a few days ago, I decided to give it a shot. I'd eventually like to do an iron man suit, but for now I'm starting with a Magneto First Class helmet.

So far, I've pep'd it all together and put 2 coats of resin on it.

2011-11-08_15-20-46_337.jpg

The sides stuck out a bit, so I put a brace between them, I think it worked pretty well. I"ll remove it after I harden the inside.

2011-11-08_21-59-56_494.jpg

I then applied one coat of resin

2011-11-09_16-26-16_797.jpg

Waited a few hours, and applied a second coat

2011-11-09_18-50-54_317.jpg

Tomorrow i'm going to Rondo the inside of it. I printed out the pieces that go on the front, around the eyes, and transferred them to cardboard. I'll probably attach them after I Rondo the inside. I'll post pics tomorrow after I Rondo it!

Any suggestions are very welcome!

No suggestions, sounds like youre on track! Should be a cool helmet when youre done!

Looks like a good helmet for your 1st one. Funny my 1st one was warped, undersized and folded in all the wrong spots. Keep it up

I put the detailing front pieces on. For the record, a few hours isnt enough time to wear a thing. It didn't mess it but holy crap does it smell bad.

2011-11-10_16-40-25_154.jpg

The smell goes away after a while. I use baby powder to knock it down, it also helps get rid of the tackiness of the putty.

You could let it sit outside for a day and a night, that ought to help getting rid of the smell as well.

THIS IS YOUR FIRST BUILD???? many my first build sucked hahha. and you "scratched" the detail on it, you're already acting pro man

(and i heard from someone around here that rondo is brittle, and if dropped it will probably crack; piont being its not strong. will someone please tell me thats just inexperianced noob talk)

I haven't used fiberglass so I'm not sure. But it feels pretty strong.
Do I think it could survive a drop? Probably not.

Ill try fiberglass on my next peice.

Next step is to resin the cardboard, then bondo the outside. How do I bondo in a sphere shape?

Nice, it's looking good so far.
And yes rondo is kind of brittle which you can do one layer of fiberglass cloth to take care of that but
unless it's going to be knocked around a bunch I wouldn't worry about it too much, the layer of paper
with resin usually keeps it from splitting apart, the cracks just show up inside on the rondo.

looked a little thin in spots with the rondo, if your going to sand the outside I would put two more batches in so you don't sand all the way through...

Really good job on this. Looks cool.

First coat of bondo. I had to do it thick so I could round it off more with sandpaper. May have gone a little too thick, it's pretty heavy now.

2011-11-15_19-53-28_487.jpg

2011-11-15_19-53-57_968.jpg

2011-11-15_19-54-14_63.jpg

Great work for your first build.

A suggestion: Perhaps instead of adding a support to the middle of the cheeks, you could add support to the bottom and top of the cheeks. The lip that I modeled around the edges of the helmet seem to be making the helmet deform more (counterproductive to my intent).

You should have waited to add the detail until after the helmet was smooth, but it is still workable (it just makes sanding more tedious).

Great work, read the stickies, watch the tutorial vids, and you will be pro in no time.

Invest in a respirator. Cancer sucks. If the part has an odor, it is still curing and releasing toxic fumes. Cold weather makes the curing process slow down, so keep that in mind when planning a build. I like to stick my pep parts in a foil lined box with a lightbulb inside. It cures the part faster while containing the smell (somewhat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back