My first "Halo Reach helmet and armor build"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stuff looks neat, if I understand you correctly you'll be using a clear motorcycle visor and then hot glue this behind the visor? I'd love to see the finished product (given that pic isn't it, I apologize if it is) because that sounds like a fantastic option especially for first time builders like myself. :)

Hello, Hobbyist

It will be a bit yet, I am in the process of doing two helmets and I just finished the base coats on both. Next will come the weathering. The visors I will do last along with the lights and fans. I will post when they are ready to be viewed with the visors.

Awesome can't wait! I'm having problems with my own set I can't imagine working on two at the same time, Lol. :lol

Update: As you know I am making two Halo Reach suits, one for my daughter and I. Here is an update to the helmets, they still need visors, lights and fans but the base color and weather is complete.
The blue helmet is for my daughter, the color is what her Spartan is in game. The green one is for me and is the same color as the master I created in the beginning of this thread.

Thanks for looking :)

helmet_erika_01.jpg

helmet_dave_01.jpg

First time using bondo huh? Great job, the helmets turned out really well...and using playing cards is genius!

Thanks, XenoPhanatik

I learned the technique from another member named CeralKill3r is how I think he spells it. He has videos on Youtube as well. Also being able to carve the Rondo as it cures was awesome lol

Dave / Renraku

Project update: Two Halo Reach armor sets, Spent 12 hours Friday. 10 hours today priming, sanding and cleaning. Now tomorrow I can finally start adding color lol The edges are not as sharp as I would like, ill probably use a different technique next time like Epsilon or brushing on PVA first. It looks nice from 6 feet away but if someone is right up on you then you can see some flaws. of course we are our own worst critics too and I am really bad when it comes to that...kinda a perfectionist. :)

Started masking and figuring out how the colors will be, mine will be the green color from my helmet while my daughters will be Regal blue like her helmet. I going to try and work in the the flaws as damage and wear and tear lol wish me luck.

Thanks for taking a look.

IMG_0873.JPGIMG_0874.JPGIMG_0877.JPGIMG_0878.JPG
helmets.jpg

where'd you get the templates?? :0

Well Most all of it I redid the 3D models and then created my own foam templates in Pepakura. Almost all standard pep files dont translate to foam builds so they need to be changed. Also almost all 3D models that come from games are low poly (quality) and require upgrades to make them look better.

Well Most all of it I redid the 3D models and then created my own foam templates in Pepakura. Almost all standard pep files dont translate to foam builds so they need to be changed. Also almost all 3D models that come from games are low poly (quality) and require upgrades to make them look better.

Are you planning on sharing your models or foam templates?

Loving your work. Your pieces look really smooth.

Spectacular job so far, and I commend you for sharing your methods in such a detailed manner. I'm subscribing to this thread for sure.

Just wanted to post my progress, I will be finished with all the weathering tonight, then I will focus on the strapping and light both at the same time since I have two suits to do and I have assistants...I hope lol.

chest_before_after.jpg
forearm_01.jpg

Project update: Some shots from PAX of the two suits. I still need to do some under suit pieces like the abs, shoulder, hip/upper thigh and spline plates. I plan on adding the lights for the thighs and my daughters chest piece. Also after wearing it for many hours it was clear I needed better strapping, I plan on using snaps to hold every piece in place. This will prevent parts from falling down and or slipping.

As far as sharing files I will share what ever I make for the under suit stuff and the spine armor as promised to WandererTJ. I will also share as much as I can but I am starting my own prop shop and would like to hold unto some of the files.

The first shot here is my favorite of my daughter and I....I think she will be a spartan since she is only eleven and is almost as tall as me lol.

Note: There are twelve blue LED lights in the chest armor alone lol. so between the helmet, chest and thighs I will have twenty LEDS.

shot01.jpgshot03.jpgshot02.jpgDSC01661_r.jpgDSC01650_r.jpg

Probably my last post on this thread just wanted to share. My daughter and I went to 343 for a few hours and took some photos with Chief and mini chief. Then we headed over to the release party and had a blast. My future plans are to have a seamstress make a Halo 4 under suit and I plan on making a Halo 4 Recon suit for my daughter and I. I get my 3D printer next week and I have started on modeling the helmet myself along with the chest piece. The suit I will still make out of foam unless I decide to 3D print it. If anyone has any question etc... let me know and I will see if I can help. Thanks for taking a look.

oh and I started my own Prop Shop called Renraku Props on Face book. I will be posting tutorials and project status things there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Renraku-Props/310816772434581?ref=bookmarks

poster_w_helmets.jpg grp_w_masterchief.jpgrDSC01749.jpgrDSC01748.jpgDSC01744.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back