My First Pep Build - Ironman Mk III - Maybe Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MykiiAmore

Hey All

This is my first project here at the 405th Forums and having seen so many great projects this already left me with a great weight on my shoulders wanting to come bearing a gift to the eyes and not a monstrosity so let's explain my project.

I'm going to create an Ironman suit, preferably a Mark 3 suit, but will use other parts if they fit better. I have been a fan of Ironman for years and Marvel even longer. When the movies came out I was in total awe. So there is the project and also the explanation as to why I'm doing it.

Materials used
220 G/M2 Cardstock
Superglue (4 Tubes :O )

So here come the pics!

This first picture is the right side of the helmet where I decided to start my project. I found this part difficult at first but after a couple hours of practicing the folds I was starting to get to grips with the way Pepakura works.

1.jpg

This second picture shows I started to add the back part of helmet next. It proceeded to get trickier as I progressed but was noticing how the Valley/Mountain folds worked meaning it became easier to recognise the shape it would take.

2.jpg

The third picture shows how I progressed to do another side so I now had a 3 sided helmet which to me was starting to look rather good considering I'd never used Pep before.

3.jpg

This fourth picture shows how I had added some more height to the rear of the helmet and also started to make the jaw of the helmet. This progressed quicker than the first part as I was now getting used to the process of pep making.

4.jpg

This fifth picture shows how I had finally got the look of a face to it. Was finally starting to feel proud of myself. Yes, I know, it isn't exactly the most amazing piece of work known to man but to me it was awesome!

5.jpg

Finally, the finished piece!

buildpep.jpg

So here you go, my finished PEP product. I have really enjoyed doing this and will be looking to do resin/fibreglass/bondo in the next month once I have acquired some money. So any tips would be very, very helpful as I've never ever used resin, fibreglass or bondo!

Cheers for reading!

MykiiAmore

For using resin, safety is key. You will want a bunny suit (some sort of protective coveralls), gloves, and a respirator that filters organic fumes. A simple dust mask is NOT sufficient.

Apply a very thin layer of resin to start up, let it cure, and then add some more. 2-3 layers of resin should get the cardstock stiff enough to handle the fiberglass. Fiberglass only the inside, and do 2-3 layers of glass.

Your pep work looks very clean.

Thankyou very much Hickeydog.
That helps loads!
Also, I don't have a headcase/stand to put the helmet on to stop sagging, so would putting a balloon inside and blowing it up help at all??

Update 05/02/11

Sorry for the little amount of updates but still trying to get some Resin and Hardener so I can start the resin process. Should have some before this next week is out so I can get going again.

Cheers All

Mykii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back