My First Pepakura (Epic fail, Or Just an Alternative?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian 2112

Jr Member
Building the DMR. I melted down the glue with a candle and metal knife-like thing. It's got a nice and solid hold, but the glue is on the outside/inside. I'm still deciding if I should go for fiberglass or just go with paper mache right now since this is my first one and it kinda sucks ._. It's also not scaled right and is tiny.

Anyways my question is if it's alright that I did the glue this way.

Capture-41.jpg

p.s. the black is still glue, i just burned it on the fire for too long :/ Glue gun is too bulky to get into those tight corners, and I had to remelt the glue many times after the first application, in order to smoothen it out.

Building the DMR. I melted down the glue with a candle and metal knife-like thing. It's got a nice and solid hold, but the glue is on the outside/inside. I'm still deciding if I should go for fiberglass or just go with paper mache right now since this is my first one and it kinda sucks ._. It's also not scaled right and is tiny.

Anyways my question is if it's alright that I did the glue this way.

Capture-41.jpg

p.s. the black is still glue, i just burned it on the fire for too long :/ Glue gun is too bulky to get into those tight corners, and I had to remelt the glue many times after the first application, in order to smoothen it out.

there's no wrong way to put together a pep. The way I make them, I completely cut off the tabs that are supposed to be glued and just tape the whole thing from the inside. Tape is extremely easy to work with. And they come out great! also, I use epoxy instead of poly resin. The epoxy goes over the tape no problem whatsoever.

there's no wrong way to put together a pep. The way I make them, I completely cut off the tabs that are supposed to be glued and just tape the whole thing from the inside. Tape is extremely easy to work with. And they come out great! also, I use epoxy instead of poly resin. The epoxy goes over the tape no problem whatsoever.

I was thinking use paper mache on the outside once im done to make it hard. I just realized though that this is a very basic non-detailed version of the DMR. Any recomendations on what to use to add detail after im done with the mache? I was thinking the boton stuff that everyone's using but am not 100% sure what it is exactly. Is it like clay? O-o

I was thinking use paper mache on the outside once im done to make it hard. I just realized though that this is a very basic non-detailed version of the DMR. Any recomendations on what to use to add detail after im done with the mache? I was thinking the boton stuff that everyone's using but am not 100% sure what it is exactly. Is it like clay? O-o

You probably mean Bondo, right? Bondo is a trademark that has become a general term for body fillers, based on a polyester resin (i.e. it's just as dangerous to health, so use safety equipment!). It feels similar to most other puttys you may know from filling holes in you wall or something like that. Check out Youtube, there are tons of videos with Bondo in action.

You probably mean Bondo, right? Bondo is a trademark that has become a general term for body fillers, based on a polyester resin (i.e. it's just as dangerous to health, so use safety equipment!). It feels similar to most other puttys you may know from filling holes in you wall or something like that. Check out Youtube, there are tons of videos with Bondo in action.
Yea bondo >.< I keep thinking botox and know thats not right, so I think boton lol. What would you suggest for detailing the outside after the paper mache? Originally when I decided to make something I thought clay the whole outside and give it lots of detail, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Where is this DMR file located at?
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread

It's the dmr_mk_1_Unfolded_by_bollomonk.

As I suspected, I fucked up on the scale and the gun is not at the scale it should be at. Not really a problem as this is a test build so i'll probably model it up and give it to a friend from xbox who is a halo addict ._.

Printed on Letter sized paper (110lb cardstock). Any way to make it so that I can print the actual sized cutouts on letter sized paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back