My Halo Wars Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiegeMaster117

So for a while now ive been itching to buy or make my own suit of spartan armour, like every halo fan out there wants to do! Because im finally earning money I decided i'd go for it and jump in and build it myself. Now my all time favourite suit of armour has to be the halo wars suits and ive noticed hardly anyone does them and from the ones i've seen not very well so I desided this will be my first build. Now juggling a full apprenticeship and managing this is not going to be easy so expect my posts to be slow and few (hopefully the gaps wont be too wide) i'll keep updating as best I can. I downloaded my pepakura files and started building the link is here http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?categoryid=56 (big shout out to my girlfriend who told me about pepakura and what you can do without it it would still be a dream!). My progress so far has been based on the helmet and just learning as much as i can and plotting out how im going to build this (and do it well!), so far i have the helmet built and ready to be fibre glassed i have also bought a orange motorbike visor to use in the build. I will post again when the helmet is fibre glassed and the visor is in. Please feel free to comment any tips for a first starter and what you think of my progress so far. Cheers!

IMG_20160302_212610[1].jpg

I too have been thinking of building a Halo Wars Spartan. I will be watching your progress closely. Good Luck!

Ok Guys sorry for the long wait i know i said id post the next day but the weather hasn't been great so i couldn't get round to the fibre glassing. So in the mean time ive started work on one of the shoulder pads ive completed most of it but i've been having troubles with the bottom half as it is a fiddly bugger i've attempted it twice with no joy and just getting frustrated so my girlfriend has taken it off me and going to attempt to put it together so i dont throw it into the wall or something. Back to the fibre glassing i hope to do some this weekend as the weather has been tipped to be good. However my dad thinks it is possable to use a spray gun to apply the resin coat, does anyone know if its possable to sort of water it down so you can do this and if so whats the out come like if you know anything please let me know i'd love to here the tips and tricks. Cheers all
IMG_20160312_222520[1].jpg

Yeah it is i have the undersuit ready as well and it fits perfectly im thinking of finding some like hex patern material to sew onto it to highlight exposed areas. I'm still thinking of ways to attach the armour plates to the the undersuit. if anyone has any thought please let me know

Looking great! And yeah, winter sucks. ;_;

As for attaching - snaps! or velcro... but I'd recommend doing some system of straps from your shoulder as the parts will be heavy and will pull your undersuit down, which won't look good, will be uncomfortable and could even damage your suit. :(

You've made me consider starting with this one instead of Centurion, how difficult was making the helmet?

and agreed winter sucks :_D especially when its always winter in the UK.

sadly no the cross member is in and i can't fit it atm i did before i put it in and it fits plus it might damage it cause i almost did when i did it before

Update: started work on the other shoulder since im waiting on the bottom half of the shoulder this one is the curved one so its going to be truck does anyone think it is possable to spary resin with a spray gun?

Spraying resin? Not likely, you won't have enough time to run it thru a pump before it dries. Not to mention that a normal pump won't pump a material of that viscosity. A pump that could pump resin thru it would cost an arm and a leg. The systems that spray a fiber glass resin mix are very expensive and the material is almost worse. It's a two part mix, that is pumped thru the lines separately and mixed in the nozzle of the gun. That being said, if it won't go thru a pump in definitely won't go thru a cup gun. It would be nice if it could be sprayed, it would save a ton of time!:)

Cheers for the reply my dad has been going on about trying out tests on my suit and I wasn't down with that as you can imagine at least I can now show him this and get him to quit going on about it haha

Just had a thought, you should be able to spray it out of a texture gun. I think harbor freight sells a small one, because a normal texture gun has like a 3 gallon hopper. The only issue would be getting cleaned out before it setup. Also it would be super messy and you would still have to brush it out once you applied the resin.

I too have been thinking about spraying resin for applying it more evenly and thinly. Setup time isn't really the culprit here, as you can use non-toxic epoxy resin which has a 1 hr pot life. The problem, as hopkins pointed out, is the viscosity. You can't atomize something that heavy using a typical (translation: "affordable") compressor, and thinning it would change up the chemistry and durability - not to mention causing the paper to become too wet for maintaining its shape. I believe we're stuck with brushing on the resin, but you can use epoxy resin indoors in winter. It's not that much different than 2-part 5 minute epoxy.

Edit: After thinking about this further, you probably wouldn't want to use such a high-powered compressor for spraying resin onto cardstock anyway. With so much pressure, one tap on the trigger....and your cardstock model is across the yard! Anchor it down you say? Well then if the pressure doesn't put a hole through the paper it most probably would deform it enough to be unusable.

I've heard bad things about spray resin. Don't use it.
It is supposed to be very low amount of resin so you'll need twice as many coats to harden your pieces.
Better use normal resin and use a brush.

Cheers for all the help it I had a dig online as well and i got the same results its a shame we can't but still its useful stuff to know

Good luck! The first set of armor is always the hardest in my opinion but you'll get through it. (technically I'm on my second, but this is my first Halo armor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back