My helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spartan857 said:
this is me wearing my mark V helm. as you can see WAY TO FRIGGIN BIG

med_gallery_3722_105_98438.jpg

my uncles (spartan161) helm, just a hair too small for him to wear

med_gallery_3722_105_44630.jpg

post any comments..............and dont mind the cast, i litterally crushed a joint in my hand when i had too much to drink :unsure:

ok how do you make you helm look that nice and then what do you do after the roughy do just add plastic or thin sheet metal?

Last edited by a moderator:
LastSpartan said:
Nice job Spartan857

feigned-echo said:
no, that's not the mark 6, the mark 6 has more detail.

thanx last spartan. feigned echo, i know its the mark 5 i think, plus iam not the greatest with paper mache, last time i used it was 3rd grade on balloons.

i have done some more painting and other crap to it. i dusted it with black spray paint then while it was wet i used a sock to make a textured look. will post pics as soon as possible.

Spartan857 said:
refine your question alittle i dont really understand it
ok how do you make the helm look nice as in shinny basicly what some advanced members armor looks like pm for answers please

Spartan857 said:
this is me wearing my mark V helm. as you can see WAY TO FRIGGIN BIG

med_gallery_3722_105_98438.jpg

my uncles (spartan161) helm, just a hair too small for him to wear

med_gallery_3722_105_44630.jpg

post any comments..............and dont mind the cast, i litterally crushed a joint in my hand when i had too much to drink :unsure:

can you please tell me what you used to stick the pices together i tried scotch tape but it came out to bulky

Spartan857 said:
thanx last spartan. feigned echo, i know its the mark 5 i think, plus iam not the greatest with paper mache, last time i used it was 3rd grade on balloons.

i have done some more painting and other crap to it. i dusted it with black spray paint then while it was wet i used a sock to make a textured look. will post pics as soon as possible.

Actually Spartan857, chiefer would be correct. That IS the Mk VI helmet (the Mk V is what was seen in the first HALO game; drastically different, and not so detailed), it's just that as you're working off the HALO 2 Pepakura file it's not nearly as detailed as the HALO 3 file now available. The HALO 3 file has the recessed (indented) sections designed right into it.

I myself am working off the HALO 2 file and putting all the additional details in myself. That includes the recessed nose section, the two top-front indents, the top-front vents, and so on. Granted, scratch-building all those finer details has taken more time than I originally anticipated, but I know I'll be much more pleased with the end result.

Well, I hope we get to some new pics of your progress very soon. Looking forward to seeing what you've done with it, dude... :cool:

mastermarine said:
can you please tell me what you used to stick the pices together i tried scotch tape but it came out to bulky

i used super glue, then reinforced it with scotch tape. not bulky at all, just reinforcing it is time consuming

img7652ix0.jpg

i just need to paint the visor and a few other minor details

Try rubber cement, then start fiberglassing with resin and fiberglass cloth; after use resin gel to shape.
Let me know what you think.....

DoC

DoC ByTeS said:
Try rubber cement, then start fiberglassing with resin and fiberglass cloth; after use resin gel to shape.
Let me know what you think.....

DoC
wow thats really nice
where would you get that stuff btw?

Hey, can someone tell me what i would need for a pepakura helmet, list of details and items
and items i need in order to make one thnx

Your head
Time
Patience
Computer
Paper
Hot glue gun
Hot glue sticks
Fiberglass resin
Fiberglass cloth
Bondo/clay/apoxie
Paint
Visor
Leds

I think I listed 'em all.

Okay I tried printing out the pep helmet and I used the scale that is a sticky on this forum to figure out the size. When I print it out I use the part that is supposed to be the visor and check it against my legendary helmet. Its the same size. Will the helmet be the same size as my legendary helmet cuz thats way too small. What scale are most you guys out there using. Sorry if its a noob question but I have been looking on this forum for about a month now before registering and I really wanna build a Mark V suit I just wanna build one with out having to resize a helmet 10 times. Oh sorry to hijack the thread I couldn't figure out how to make a new one.

NuYOrka103185 said:
Okay I tried printing out the pep helmet and I used the scale that is a sticky on this forum to figure out the size. When I print it out I use the part that is supposed to be the visor and check it against my legendary helmet. Its the same size. Will the helmet be the same size as my legendary helmet cuz thats way too small. What scale are most you guys out there using. Sorry if its a noob question but I have been looking on this forum for about a month now before registering and I really wanna build a Mark V suit I just wanna build one with out having to resize a helmet 10 times. Oh sorry to hijack the thread I couldn't figure out how to make a new one.

Is this the ideal way to do it? No. The ideal way to do this would be to scale it in Pepakura. But to be blunt the scaling thread gave me a headache trying to figure it out so I went this rout.

Its a little deferent than most but it worked for me as far as scaling. I printed out the pep file on standard 8.5"X 11" paper, then I went and got photo copies made.

Looking at the visor pieces it looked small to me. So I enlarged it until it looked about the size of a modern baseball cap 135% enlargement of original. Then I glued these paper pieces onto card stock using a spray adhesive. Look for my gallery of pics in the member area, its in the pep file under Spartan 161. I then assembled the visor and top of the helmet pieces. Well this was way to big and its the helm you in this post. Spartan 857 decided to finish it and do the paper mache and make it into a display model.

So I took the original print back out and made 3 sets of copies all at smaller scales hoping that in there I would find the right fit. One set at 115% one at 120% and one at 125% of original.

Well I started with the smallest scale 115%, the helm turned out to be a bit to small for me so I went to the next size 120%, a difference of 5% bigger. This one turned out to be the perfect size for me. I have a head circumference of 22.5" and I am 5'8" tall. The final set of copies at 125% would fit a larger person like Spartan 857 perfectly He is over 6' tall and the 135% looks huge on him as you can see in this thread.

So in closing I used a photo copier machine to figure out my scaling for a helm. I will update this post with Spartan 857's head circumference and height later so you can get an idea of scaling if you wish to use this method. Just remember you only need to assemble the visor and top of the helm to see how close it is to being right for you. No need to do 4 entire helms like me.

Scratch that make it 5. Now that the higher detail pep files are out looks like I will be printing them out and back to the copy machine again. Hope this helps.

AoBfrost said:
All you need is the info from a sticky thread, and 50 some dollars for resin/glass

Not everyone is good with math and I suck at the metric system. There is more than one way to scale a helm. What I would like to see is a chart with measurements in inches and metric with the value you put into Pepakura to get the right size. Maybe a project for someone with great math skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back