My pep helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

colmon 9

Woot im finally done with it! Any sugestion or comments would be apreaciated.

PICT0324.jpg

PICT0327.jpg

And whats should I put on it to make it strong while working on it?

MasterGun said:
couldnt u just wear the paper with out fiber glass?

Well sure, but it won't last you more than a day or two..

The reason for reinforcing it is so that you can have it last longer dude...duh

Don't expect a quality costume without "hard work" ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's regular printer paper, that might destroy it.

Going with 110# cardstock is the preferred way to go. Takes a little more time, but it's worth the effort (or seems to be).

shilac is a type of wood varnish

I think you would be better off using resin because I'm not sure how well the shilac would dry or how thick you could coat it. If spray shilac is anything like clear gloss spray paint then it won't do you much good.

ZOMG, I've been away from MJOLNIR Armor for sooooooo long...

But other than that, it looks good! Especially for a start.

I still want to get started on mine but I'm fearing it's too late.

Fiberglass it

Fiberglass isn't as hard as it seems. I just finished my first Pep helmet and fiberglassed it. Just follow the instructions and do it OUTSIDE. I now need to sand it and bondo some areas where the folds "warped" a little.

I would recommend that you put the paper visor in for strength while you fiberglass it. You can dremel cut it out later. Great Job though.

yea cause then the brim of the helm will start falling down from the weight of the resin or fiber glass or wtv the hell it is called. there are som many different names for it.

so can i just put the resin on the outside or do i have to get some sheets of fiberglass? And what do i put in the holo spaces like the shade thing above the visor, back of the helmet, and the mouth piece?

Motorcycle Helmet Foam Padding works good for spacing in the helmet.

The Visor should have an "actual" visor in it, if you want a really good look use a reflective visor w/ a black see-through screen behind it. {Hat tip to Sean for that}.

Resining gives the shell structural integrity, and the fiberglassing lets you round out the helmet so it doesn't look like a wire frame/artifact rendering.

A fan rig is also good for in the helmet to keep air circulating sos you don't cook your head.

colmon_9 said:
so can i just put the resin on the outside or do i have to get some sheets of fiberglass? And what do i put in the holo spaces like the shade thing above the visor, back of the helmet, and the mouth piece?

I used a different way of doing it. Typing up the Tut as I progress. Hopefully will have it done soon.

I just resined the outside, about 4 layers. Then on the inside I just resined the parts that were weak when i tested it by pushing on different spots. I used Fiberglass cloth and cut it to the sizes i needed.

You can find all of that stuff in the Auto Section at Wal-mart. Going to run you about 15 bucks.

I didn't put anything in the hollow spaces because I plan on running wires and putting foam into the helmet for comfort.

With the Fiberglass cloth, get some aluminum foil. Put one coat of resin on the part you want to fix, then on the foil, cover your cloth with resin. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GLOVES ON. Then just put the resin damp cloth where you need it. You can use this technique on the outside or inside of the helmet. Just make sure you read the instructions on all of the products and do it OUTSIDE.. you are going to need all the air you can get.

darkesword2020 said:
MasterGun said:
couldnt u just wear the paper with out fiber glass?

Well sure, but it won't last you more than a day or two..

The reason for reinforcing it is so that you can have it last longer dude...duh

Don't expect a quality costume without "hard work" ;-)

i no that but im just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back