My Project (and Hello)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arowin

Jr Member
Hello,

Just posting to say hello.
I'm a New Zealander and am in the process of making a MC suit (as well as so many other people).
Wish I knew about you guys before I started as I just finished a paper version of the helmet (soon to be replaced with a pepakura version)

Anyway, attached is a pic of my version (lets call it an alpha version) which will be destroyed one day :p
[attachment=3203:image_up...9_730102.jpg]

The original plan was to create this paper version as a guide and then replace it with a foam board version (which I've started) and post soon.

Anyway, hello and I hope I'm not going to be too annoying :p

Cool helmet, did you design it? It's a very unigue style, and very well put together.
Cant wait to see how it turns out :D

P.S. Don't destroy it.... its AWESOME!!!!!

Flight of the Conchords AND Dreamcast??? Either I'm gonna have to fly over there to become best buddies with you, or you're gonna have to come over here! Welcome, I'm new myself, let's make these Mjolnir suits badass!

that must have been hard to come buy a wii in New Zealand

nice work on the helm i could never build a helm out of paper with out pep

Spartan 051 said:
that must have been hard to come buy a wii in New Zealand...

I see them everywhere... in fact, I walked in to a store on launch day and picked one up without any trouble :D

Welcome to the forum Arowin, good to see more kiwi's getting involved with Halo costuming :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Respect, my friend. Echoing Belakor, it's good to see more kiwis into Halo cosuming.
And nice Helm, It's the Mutha-Flippin.

So, here's a few more pics on my progress.
There were a couple of 'false' starts where I started building but didn't like where it was going so started again till I got to my paper model. The idea was to create it as an idea for sizing and then build an equivalent version out of foam board but when I found the pepakura models I thought it might be easier to just start with one of those and resin it up :p.

So here's my progress from start to a pepakura model:
[attachment=3225:DSC03987.JPG]
[attachment=3226:DSC03989.JPG]
[attachment=3227:DSC03990.JPG]
[attachment=3228:DSC03994.JPG]
[attachment=3229:DSC03996.JPG]

The wonkyness off the first paper model is due the wire I added for a bit of support.

I think I might try a more detailed pep model now. Maybe FlyingSquirrels (I need to make two suits anyway, so I can use this for practise :p)

Hey, reading through the tutorials I noticed a few mentions of scotch tape. What is that as I've never heard of it here in NZ.... I'm hoping it isn't double sided tape as that's what I'm using to hold my model together and there's lots of mentions of "not to use it"... :(

Answering questions:
Spartan 051: I found the Wii easy to get. I don't think we have a shortage of them here at all. I got it on launch day but they seem to be everywhere still...
ShadyMailman/Jaxjags2100: Yeah, the dreamcast is sort of a hobby of mine. The one thing I collect (apart from DVD's :p) Got two controllers, two guns and about 20 games for it :p. And Shady, I'm happy where I am at the moment, so you'll have to come over here :p
Scooterkid: Yeah, designed it myself as I was making it (which explained the multiple attempts). I was literally making it off a picture of Chris Bryants ones. Looking at the ones being made now it looks a bit 'clunky' though. Still don't think I'll keep it. (No where to put it :))
Belakor/helios: So are there many NZer's here that you know of? I'm in Wellington where are you guys?

PS: Damn this forum for not allowing me to show my picasa pictures directly.... Grrrr :(

Those helmet's are looking good!

Arowin said:
... Belakor/helios: So are there many NZer's here that you know of? I'm in Wellington where are you guys?...

I think there's maybe 5-10 NZer's here but there could be more.
I'm up in Auckland but keep an eye out for me and my Mk VI suit next month at Armageddon in Welly ;)

Also scotch tape is just like regular old clear sellotape, I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely have to... It can work though depending on your resin, I use epoxy resin and it doesn't effect tapes or foams :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Armageddon RULES!!!
i went to the one here in Australia last year... got me a gold pass.. SO worth it :p
I'm making my suit for the Armageddon here this year (notice what i say in my sig)

Well, alrighty then... Time for a bit of an update I guess :)

I scraped the original idea completely (Which is a bit annoying as now I have a huge piece of foam board to use for stuff... :p
I've created three PEP models. A MkV and two MkVI's (Flying Squirrels)
The MkV was a bit too big and making it out of just paper didn't seem to work too well, plus it looked a bit chunky, so I tried FS's model but it turned out a bit too small.

So after a redo, here's my latest version, ready for a resin on the weekend :p

[attachment=3796:DSC04055_sm_.jpg]
Large one on the left, smaller on the right
[attachment=3795:DSC04053_sm_.jpg]
[attachment=3794:DSC04050_sm_.jpg]
[attachment=3793:DSC04051_sm_.jpg]
[attachment=3792:DSC04052_sm_.jpg]
It's a little wonky, but the struts that are now in seem to have sorted most of that out.

For those that are interested, a good way I found to get a flat underside to the rim is simple triange paper prism thingys. Each side is about 5mm and they run the length of the rim. That gives it enough of support to stay flat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back