My WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aultin

I have started glueing. About 10% to 15% done. I am using gorilla glue. Seems to be holding up fine. Once it dries it is as hard as plastic. That is good and bad. The Gorilla glue will keep the cardstock n place. If you have it in the right spot it will stay. But if you have it in the wrong spot youcan't peel it off to fix it. Also it takes a long time to dry and is not sticky. Then why call it glue? Because you hold the area down with tape this add a layer on the bottom of the flap and the top of the flat surface. The glue foams from both sides and forms together. It then has a strong hold. Not letting the thing move. Hopefully it holds up to the resining and fiberglass.

Sorry I have no pics. I will soon.

NO NO NO NO! I am not saying to use it. I am saying that I am using it. I am not even sure if it will hold up to the resining and fiberglassing.

Aultin the Spartan said:
NO NO NO NO! I am not saying to use it. I am saying that I am using it. I am not even sure if it will hold up to the resining and fiberglassing.
Could we get some pictures right now buddy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me see if my mom has her camera.

EDIT: nope. I am not allowed to use it now. SORRY. I will try tomarrow.

Sorry for the double post but no one isposting and I thought getting this to the front of the list will help that. Anyway I am nearly finished constructing my helmet. After this I will resin and fiberglass it then woot painting!

The only problem I can see with gorilla glue is how long it takes to set and how much it expands, so you need to clamp the pieces together. So some parts will be tricky in tight corners that are boxed together. ie the brim of the helmet

I tried hot gleu with my old glue gun, didnt work well, peices didnt stick, I think elmers glue is the best for me, I use all purpose white school glue, and it seems to stick and hold up well for me, it doesnt take forever to set, if you know how to glue tabs properly, then it only takes 5-6 seconds of holding it for it to set. I put a pearl sized dot on each tab, then use a a peice of cardstock to sprea d it into a paper think layer, thats why it sets quickly. Then I have extra which last for 2-3 minutes in a glob on the peice i used to scrape, and I just smear it onto more tabs, then scrape off.

But gorilla glue and hotglue is both good too I guess, I guess it depends on what you can work best with in your enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back