Need help creating a visor for my helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JammedMite942

So ive been building a Master chief helmet and I now need a visor. I’ve seen people use motorcycle visors before, and I might go with that, but I don’t know when to get them, and how to properly get the sizing. I also considered using reflective spray paint on plastic but idk how well that would work, if I used yellow plastic, such as from a soda bottle (yes Ik I’m cheap) would the yellow show through? Or would it just be silver. Thanks for all the help!

So ive been building a Master chief helmet and I now need a visor. I’ve seen people use motorcycle visors before, and I might go with that, but I don’t know when to get them, and how to properly get the sizing. I also considered using reflective spray paint on plastic but idk how well that would work, if I used yellow plastic, such as from a soda bottle (yes Ik I’m cheap) would the yellow show through? Or would it just be silver. Thanks for all the help!
Someone is probably way more qualified to answer the paint question. But for the motorcycle visor option, the hardest part is getting a proper fit in your helmet. They are generally flat and not curved like the in-game models, but if you aren't going for 100% game accuracy (I personally love creative flairs added to suits) this can be the way to go! They are affordable and come with that lovely film that gives the one-way mirror effect you're looking for.

If you are aiming for game accurate, honestly recommend buying one of the printed and painted ones off of some of our friends here in the 405th, through Etsy, or through social media. The nice thing about the ones built by the pros is that they are vacuum shaped (using tools that can be expensive to buy) to match the model of helmet you are building. Most of them are built using flexible plastic and can be installed simply with some hot glue. They also look AMAZING.

Someone is probably way more qualified to answer the paint question. But for the motorcycle visor option, the hardest part is getting a proper fit in your helmet. They are generally flat and not curved like the in-game models, but if you aren't going for 100% game accuracy (I personally love creative flairs added to suits) this can be the way to go! They are affordable and come with that lovely film that gives the one-way mirror effect you're looking for.

If you are aiming for game accurate, honestly recommend buying one of the printed and painted ones off of some of our friends here in the 405th, through Etsy, or through social media. The nice thing about the ones built by the pros is that they are vacuum shaped (using tools that can be expensive to buy) to match the model of helmet you are building. Most of them are built using flexible plastic and can be installed simply with some hot glue. They also look AMAZING.
Thank you so much! I’ll look into getting a visor, thanks again!

The way a lot of visors are done is they're plastic stained yellow (iDye Poly) and then the inside is coated in a light layer of chrome (Alclad II is best). Good visors are vacuum formed over a mold of the shape of the visor, though I imagine you could achieve decent result w/ a yellow soda bottle plastic as you mentioned if budget is a priority. I can't provide specific details because I haven't done it myself, but I know that's how it's done a lot of the time.

The plastic part of my visor was made by Iconoprops on Etsy and then tinted by Wardrobe Armory using a form of the process I listed above
1589334791684.png

My apologies if this was said above... I didn't really read the above text walls lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back