New idea for covenant in halo moves- Help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! i will look into those programs. So imovie wont work for the mashing up two films idea?

-Ian

VFX and editing are usually done in separate programs. VFX is done per-shot, so usually only a couple of seconds or so at a time. Editors don't need all the compositing stuff, but they do need a longer timeline and convenient editing tools. The Adobe video editor is called Premiere, but there's no much point in paying the extra monthly if you have iMovie, since you don't yet know how to use all its advanced controls that speed up the workflow for pros. iMovie'll probably do just fine for getting your feet wet (I assume it does layers and basic colour grading, I haven't used it since PowerBooks were a thing).

You'll be using the VFX program (the compositor, like Photoshop but for video) to produce the individual pieces, called shots, in all of their component layers, called plates- the backgrounds, digital stuff, live action parts and any effects over the top. Usually you'll arrange them all on top of each other in the compositor before rendering out footage to sequence together in the editor, though sometimes you might add plates in the editor for consistency or something.

There's tons of education on this online to get you up to speed. Check out Film Riot on Youtube for VFX and editing techniques (amongst many other things), and Video Copilot (for After Effects) or BlenderGuru (if you go with Blender). Video Copilot is worth watching just for the ideas alone though. BlenderGuru sticks with 3D stuff so you'll have to hunt down video workflows, but it'll get you up to speed with the interface and nodal compositing. They're just the obvious ones, there are plenty of other people producing tutorials out there that may be more specific to what you're doing. If not, maybe I'll do a Blender-for-video series sometime. :p

If you're still at the "mashing up two films" stage, this may be a much longer process than you were anticipating, unless you have a friend who's an editor and can guide you through it. The internet speeds up learning, for sure, but be aware that depending on real-life time constraints you may not have anything to show on this project for a couple of years or more. A VFX-heavy scifi piece is a huge mouthful to bite off.

VFX and editing are usually done in separate programs. VFX is done per-shot, so usually only a couple of seconds or so at a time. Editors don't need all the compositing stuff, but they do need a longer timeline and convenient editing tools. The Adobe video editor is called Premiere, but there's no much point in paying the extra monthly if you have iMovie, since you don't yet know how to use all its advanced controls that speed up the workflow for pros. iMovie'll probably do just fine for getting your feet wet (I assume it does layers and basic colour grading, I haven't used it since PowerBooks were a thing).

You'll be using the VFX program (the compositor, like Photoshop but for video) to produce the individual pieces, called shots, in all of their component layers, called plates- the backgrounds, digital stuff, live action parts and any effects over the top. Usually you'll arrange them all on top of each other in the compositor before rendering out footage to sequence together in the editor, though sometimes you might add plates in the editor for consistency or something.

There's tons of education on this online to get you up to speed. Check out Film Riot on Youtube for VFX and editing techniques (amongst many other things), and Video Copilot (for After Effects) or BlenderGuru (if you go with Blender). Video Copilot is worth watching just for the ideas alone though. BlenderGuru sticks with 3D stuff so you'll have to hunt down video workflows, but it'll get you up to speed with the interface and nodal compositing. They're just the obvious ones, there are plenty of other people producing tutorials out there that may be more specific to what you're doing. If not, maybe I'll do a Blender-for-video series sometime. :p

If you're still at the "mashing up two films" stage, this may be a much longer process than you were anticipating, unless you have a friend who's an editor and can guide you through it. The internet speeds up learning, for sure, but be aware that depending on real-life time constraints you may not have anything to show on this project for a couple of years or more. A VFX-heavy scifi piece is a huge mouthful to bite off.

Many thanks for the info! so it doesnt take a long time im gonna try my best to not overdo it with covenant and try to ease into it. I'll see what i can do about getting after effects and things for VFX, i am only at the stage of getting the films and going to mash them together. So i do have a lot ahead of me, i am looking forward to starting everything and getting heads ups, advice, etc. i think itll be a lot of work because this is all very new to me. But i think itll be a fun project, summer vacation is coming up so i should have time! I cant even get to filming my actual movie yet so i was gonna make a few test videos a couple seconds long of an elite running in my backyard and such. Not ready to move into the big stuff

-Ian

trust me when I said this 3d can be your friend or a nightmare, because I've gotten to the point where I can make something run, but not make the body move the way it needs to... and judging by the lessons I've got left that's not coming up any time soon. so if a can learn everything in the next month or two I might be able to help with some strings attached.

trust me when I said this 3d can be your friend or a nightmare, because I've gotten to the point where I can make something run, but not make the body move the way it needs to... and judging by the lessons I've got left that's not coming up any time soon. so if a can learn everything in the next month or two I might be able to help with some strings attached.

Well this fan film isnt going anywhere for a while, so if youre interested take your time haha. I need to assemble a cast, make more props, etc. plus im still in school

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back