New idea for Pepakura armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk1055

Greetings I just joined a few days ago and am interested in making my armor. I have seen some ideas to make it more durable such as using the muslin and glue approach and fiberglass, however I was wondering if anyone has tried this stuff?

http://orthotape.com/fiberglass_cast.asp

This material is used to make casts for broken bones. Basically you get it wet and shape it, then it cures into a very durrable form. My wife works at a clinic and became the test subject so a new trainee could be trained on how to cast a limb. After the cut it off she took it home and it gave me this idea. Any ideas weather it will work?

i know the stuff you're talking about. it would work but i gotta say resin is the way to go. it would be hard to get that stuff to lay flat on the paper, plus i can only imagine that sanding would be a nightmare. resin dude - resin

Thank you, one method I have seen is using both resin and fiberglass. I had planned on using some of this as a substitute for the fiberglass as an experiment. If carefull it shouldn't be to hard to keep smooth and it cures fairly quickly as well.

it sounds like a good idea, and if your confident that it will work good, then i would go for it. but if you want to just stick with the usual, i would go for fiber glass and resin. im working with that wright now

ya know, i was just thinkin that stuff would be cool to use. i dunno how the card would stand up to it but im sure if you resin it a lil first it should be ok. then again resin sometimes has a bad reaction to being soaked in water for long periods. maby start with something simple like the gauntlet.

But if you already need to buy the resin to coat the outside to do this, why not just spend an extra $4 for some fiberglass cloth and fiberglass it?

cuz eh..... OH MY GOD LOOK BEGIND YOU!!!! neeee *runs away*

it might be useful for ppl who cant use resin because of the smell.... wait... em.....

I am now thinking of using muslin on the exterior and this on the interior and have a complete nontoxic suit.

I think it's a good idea; if you used that stuff you should just Bondo it afterwards and I think it would be cool.
Or just stick with the tried-and-true method.

Trust me that stuff is BAD NEWS!!! It seemed like a good idea to me too but its so wet that it ruins the shape of the paper and it dosent bend well at all to the suttle shapes of the armor and it dosent stick to the paper AT ALL. A good idea but BAD in real life

Spartan-058 said:
Trust me that stuff is BAD NEWS!!! It seemed like a good idea to me too but its so wet that it ruins the shape of the paper and it dosent bend well at all to the suttle shapes of the armor and it dosent stick to the paper AT ALL. A good idea but BAD in real life
Thank you for the info! I won't order any now and look into other avenues. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, Just thought I would add some info on the fiberglass tape.

You actually don't need to wet the tape, It will also become solid due to the humidity in the air. The fiberglass casting tape is a resin based tape. If you have ever seen it before it gets the resin and color you will see it looks similar to the fiberglass cloth that you add resin to. This actually comes all ready in a package with no smell order resin mess.

I seen before someone say it does not lay flat. It does lay flat, you don't need to add water to get it to hard and you can use scissors to cut it. You do have to work a little faster as it will harden in about 3 mins. It also can be sanded and you can alway apply a clear coat to it later for a glossy look.

http://orthotape.com/techform_royce_medica..._fiberglass.asp

My suggestion is go for it and try something new.

"Trust me that stuff is BAD NEWS!!! It seemed like a good idea to me too but its so wet that it ruins the shape of the paper and it dosent bend well at all to the suttle shapes of the armor and it dosent stick to the paper AT ALL. A good idea but BAD in real life"- quoted

If you need it to stick to paper don't wet it. Use the humidity from the air to begin the hardening process.

Once you get it in place you can spay it with some water and begin rubbing it to a smooth finish.
Not trying it would be A BAD IDEA!!!!

While putting something wet on cardstock is not a good idea but if you coated it first you could do it. Use some like the spray fixitive used to keep pastels from coming off the paper or a waterproofing spray, while both may have an odor, neither will be as smelly as resin. It just might work and would be as strong as a the more messy and much smellier way of glassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back