New to cosplay and I am trying to make a tasm 2 replica but Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Parker 67

Hi, I am making my very first cosplay so I don't really have any experience at this point. I chose the amazing spider-man 2 suit to make a perfect replica of but I don't know where to start. I've seen a lot of people on the internet attempting to do so but even tho they love it, the suit is clearly not that great compared to the movie, (even tho some people like spiderlabs have made perfect copys). they always have the color off and the texture doesn't look the same. So here are my questions to help me make the perfect suit. please keep in mind that I want to make it as accuarte to the movie as possible but it's not gonna be a one time use suit.

1. What is the best material that also have the same shiny(I think it's shiny) texture of the movie.

2. How do get the color to look right? especially the red that looks really dark. Also I think the suit has a kind of shadow printed on but am not sure.

3. How do I make the webbing? Keep in mind that it's not a one time use suit so it has to be a durable webbing.

4. Where can I find a good pattern file that's accuarte and Don't have the back piece in half. I absolutely hate the sewing line in the back so I want a pattern with the back in a single piece.

5. Am not very familiar with cosplay so can someone please explain the different types of fabric and the printing technique. I heard termed like "dye sub" or "screen printed" but I don't anything about them. Some will tell me to use google but am looking to understand how they affect my costume and which one is better depending on the situation rather than their mere definition.

6. Last thing, do anyone have a link to a video/ article that's talk about the making of the original suit used by the andrew in the movies?

Thank you and all help will be greatly appreciated!

So you want to be Spiderman. Congratulations on taking the first step towards cosplay. You know who you want to be.

So here are some answers to your questions.

1: You have to get spandex. No if's, ands, or but's about it. I would say millskin, but you will have to make a reference on the version of Spiderman you want. Millskin spandex is shiny on one side and dull on the other.

2 Normally when it comes to the color, you will have to find the closest colors for the red and blue fabrics. The colors on the screen have been through post production. So search far and wide for the colors you want.

3. As far as the webbing around suit goes, you have 3 options.

Option A: Outline the webbing on the suit yourself by drawing it. It's the longest and tedious of the options. To prevent any screwups going down this path, use some fabric chalk or some actual soap to draw it before you draw it with the fabric marker.

Option B: Drawing the outlines of the suit with this method.

Option C: Create the webbing using urethane. This is, as usual, one of the most effective, but costly of the 3 options. Unless you can get someone to carve a graving to replicate the webbing on the suit and then cast it in urethane like this...

This could be problematic for you. The only other work around is to have someone to 3d print a negative mold, smooth it out, and then create the urethane webbing.

4: As far as finding a pattern, I found 2 just to get you started.

5: To answer the question of screen printed fabrics or dye sub fabrics, what it's actually doing is taking an image and with a machine applies ,either heat or pressure, an image on the fabric that will be permanent unless it is destroyed or bleached.

This video will explain how to screen press spandex

6: This is the only video from the Amazing Spiderman movie to show how it was made.

And here's the detailing on how certain parts of the suit were changed.

Of course, with all things considered, you need to get all the references from this version of Spiderman you are building. It may start you on your path and it might not help you at all. It all depends on how you process the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back