New to Foam Armor Builds / Simple Andrew DFT (WIP w/ pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the paint scheme on and weathered (pic doesn't do it justice). Just need to make and install the visor now.

IMAG1141.jpg IMAG1135.jpg

Finally finished my youngest son's armor set and have been racking my brain as to how to make a better visor than what comes with the Andrew DFT template pack. This is what I came up with in theory. Took a laminated sheet and laid down some mirrored window film. Nothing new here, but I wanted some type of color and I'm not ready to delve into spray paint, dyes, etc. Soooooo, I purchased some colored vinyl automotive sheets. The theory was this: Once the mirrored window tint was dry, I should be able to lay the colored vinyl right on top. Thus giving me a colored mirror sheet that you can still see through.

Next, I used the pep files from this site and printed only the visor. I adjusted it slightly to fit the DFT helmet and think it came out OK. In the pics, it is simply yellow cardstock to check the fit, but have since traced the the pep template on to the sheet I will use for the visor. Please keep in mind that the green color was just a test run, but I also have blue, red, yellow, and smoke colored vinyl sheets. Once dry, any color can be placed on top. In the case of the red and black, I'm not sure if I will go with the smoke or red color. The green color was just to prototype the theory.

My intent is to basically pep the visor out of the laminated sheet and hide the tabs on the inside. Again, in theory, the mirror tint should hide the tabs and will only be seen when wearing the helmet. Total cost for this was about $5.

Lastly, I have started on my oldest son's DFT armor and have included a teaser of the what the chest plate looks like.

Thank you all for the awesome comments!

(Also, still new to the forum rules, but should I continue this thread for the second set or can I start a new thread?) Thanks!

Shutterfly
Shutterfly
Shutterfly
Shutterfly
Shutterfly

Wow! I'm envious of your bevels! Working on redoing my own chestpiece with mods from DFT!

Had to come back with a small update. Apparently my youngest son was upset because his older brother's armor set was coming out far better than his (youngest son's armor was a first time attempt, oldest son's is everything that was learned NOT to do). Soooo, I told the youngest that he was like a HALO ninja which turned into to him wanting swords, etc., etc.

So this is what I drew up and built with a little homage to ole Deadpool.......I know it is not anywhere near game accurate at this point, but my kids love it and I have learned quite a bit throughout the process.

IMAG1539[1] — Postimage.org

IMAG1537[1] — Postimage.org

IMAG1538[1] — Postimage.org

Last edited:
amazing job bro you its really nice u r making it for your children...
although question what r u going to use for the visor

amazing job bro you its really nice u r making it for your children...
although question what r u going to use for the visor
Thanks.

So far, I have had pretty good success with using thin plastic sheets, mirror window film on one side, and colored see through adhesive vinyl film. On the other side. Basically, I apply mirror tint to one side, vinyl to the other, press out all the bubbles, the pep the visor pieces out. So far, I've been able to do the red on in the pics using a sheet of laminating paper and it came out OK, but still had bubbles that I couldn't get out because of the heat used to laminate the sheets. IT just didn't lay flat enough. With the sheet of thin plastic, I should get one a bubble free coverage. Let cure and we'll see how well that works.

nice idea about the mirror window film I wish I thought of that
but im sorry if I missed something but r u vacuum forming or what
P.S. hope your curing works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back