New to Foam Armor Builds / Simple Andrew DFT (WIP w/ pics)

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Elcorio, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Distemper

Distemper

That is awesome. I will have a long road ahead of me with testing on foam before i am at that level. Do you have templates available?

2. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

If you go to Andrew DFT's Etsy account, you can buy the full ODST template set in two different sizes. I think he only charges $3.50 (US Dollars) for the whole downloadable file. While the builds are no where close to the unfolded Pep type stuff, it is absolutely perfect for anyone who has never worked with foam before. It allows someone to get into foam armor building without being overly complicated. Just make sure you keep those blades SHARP! An absolute must!!!

Good Luck!

DylanMarx and mblackwell1002 like this.
  3. Distemper

Distemper

Awesome man. Thank you so much for the information

4. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

Little update here. The last piece of my son's armor set is the helmet and after several builds strictly following the template, I decided to start adding my own twist to this one.

I redesigned the front chin piece and added a beveled 1-1/4" piece all the way around the bottom of the helmet to give it a bit more character on the bottom. I also started using contact cement for my builds versus hot glue. It takes some planning before connecting the pieces, thus the old saying of "patience is a virtue" starts to apply here. I also changed from EVA foam to a cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) foam for the builds. It doesn't score as well, but it is far smoother to cut, bevel, and shape than EVA foam.

I still need to add the cheek pieces, score lines, finer details, and the visor but am really liking the way this helmet is coming out.

PaiganBoi and mblackwell1002 like this.
  5. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

Son's chest piece so far. Still need to finish the lower portion and sides plus add weathering.

Started trying to work through the cheek pieces for the helmet. I saw on another thread or site where the user used computer fan filters for grills, so I ordered a pack for a few dollars and this is the result. I had to make a slit into the side of the helmet because of the bevel right in the middle where the piece will be fixed to. They will eventually be fitted to the curve of the helmet and (hopefully) be seamlessly integrated to the helmet.

On a side note. What is the average time it takes everyone to make a full suit. For me it is going on a few months now on this one since I only can get in an hour or so each night.

6. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

for most people, a full suit takes...yah, 4 or 5 months, depending on detail and time taken, which can result in up to 2 years. your build will turn out papeesheewoosh if you take the time to make it look good. It's a general rule that the longer you take, the better the result. At your rate, you (or your son) will have one of the best foam ODSTs out there. great job so far.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  7. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Um 2 years for mine off and on and I have to put it up because I no longer fit in it. Didn't help most of my scaling was on the small side.
    Everything looks like it's coming out great. Your foam work is very clean, you make it look easy.

8. tomwardill

tomwardill New Member

This is looking really good, can only hope my build will look similar when I start it! Did you use any guides for how to get started with cutting / shaping the foam?

9. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for beginners on Cutting and shaping foam. Look up Andrew DFT ( he has vids on how to build this particular helmet ) , EvilTed and Punished Props ( Bill Doran ).

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

I agree with checking out the video tutorials. They point you in the right direction, but you actually have to sink the blade into the foam to get the experience. I wish I still had the picture of the first helmet I did. It was a monstrosity and looked nothing like what was shown in the tutorial. With that being said, just take your time, think out what it is you want the particular piece to look like, and use a sharp blade! I am obsessed with passing my blade over a sharpener after only a few cuts. My blade sharpener is NEVER out of arms reach!

Also, it should be noted that most of these tutorials are time lapsed (sped up) to keep them short. The actual process of taking a piece of flat foam and cutting it, then shaping it into what you want takes time and patience. Don't be lured into comparing the speed of the person in the video to your own ability. The only thing that will make you better is patience and the experience.

Lastly, if you are trying to make a cut that you have never done before, practice on some scrap pieces first. I have had to "remake" several pieces because I thought "how hard could it be" then realized half way through it that it was much harder than the video made it look. Even if you do mess up, don't get discouraged and give up. Try again! I am still in the infancy of this and I see what others are capable of doing and think "I want to be that good one day".

11. CrimsonViper97

CrimsonViper97

Really digging the detail and just how smooth and clean everything looks, and the assault rifle looks awesome!

12. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

Thought I would do a little update here. I just bought a DJI Mavic Pro and have been playing with that little piece of amazing technology, but now its time to get back to the builds.

Update on the helmet: I am about 7 coats into the mod podge and have started to do some light 400 grit sanding to smooth out the coats. I have since added the cheek pieces with the screens and will start blending those in with the additional mod podge coats. After that, all that is left is priming & painting and the visor. While I followed the Andrew DFT ODST templates for the base of the helmet, I started referencing other images to add the cheek pieces and front of the mouth / chin area.

As a motivator for anyone who may be following this thread or me, I am posting the very first helmet I ever did. It was my first EVER attempt at something made from EVA foam. That was somewhere around November of 2016. So to anyone who may be thinking of giving up, I say keep trying and keep practicing. You can only get better!

Attached Files:

Thom A293, PaiganBoi and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  13. Thom A293

Thom A293

Wow, great job sir! That foam work is quite amazing and love the painted chest.

14. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

Thank you. I am watching your thread also. Definitely inspiring and makes me want to continue to push the proverbial envelope in build techniques and material.

Thom A293 likes this.
  15. Artifice

Artifice 405th Regiment Officer

Damn that's super clean well done !

16. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

Got the paint scheme on and weathered (pic doesn't do it justice). Just need to make and install the visor now.

IMAG1141.jpg IMAG1135.jpg

17. Thom A293

Thom A293

Fantastic job sir!

18. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

Finally finished my youngest son's armor set and have been racking my brain as to how to make a better visor than what comes with the Andrew DFT template pack. This is what I came up with in theory. Took a laminated sheet and laid down some mirrored window film. Nothing new here, but I wanted some type of color and I'm not ready to delve into spray paint, dyes, etc. Soooooo, I purchased some colored vinyl automotive sheets. The theory was this: Once the mirrored window tint was dry, I should be able to lay the colored vinyl right on top. Thus giving me a colored mirror sheet that you can still see through.

Next, I used the pep files from this site and printed only the visor. I adjusted it slightly to fit the DFT helmet and think it came out OK. In the pics, it is simply yellow cardstock to check the fit, but have since traced the the pep template on to the sheet I will use for the visor. Please keep in mind that the green color was just a test run, but I also have blue, red, yellow, and smoke colored vinyl sheets. Once dry, any color can be placed on top. In the case of the red and black, I'm not sure if I will go with the smoke or red color. The green color was just to prototype the theory.

My intent is to basically pep the visor out of the laminated sheet and hide the tabs on the inside. Again, in theory, the mirror tint should hide the tabs and will only be seen when wearing the helmet. Total cost for this was about $5.

Lastly, I have started on my oldest son's DFT armor and have included a teaser of the what the chest plate looks like.

Thank you all for the awesome comments!

(Also, still new to the forum rules, but should I continue this thread for the second set or can I start a new thread?) Thanks!

Shutterfly
    Shutterfly
    Shutterfly
    Shutterfly
    Shutterfly

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  19. Hibson

Hibson

Wow! I'm envious of your bevels! Working on redoing my own chestpiece with mods from DFT!

20. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

Had to come back with a small update. Apparently my youngest son was upset because his older brother's armor set was coming out far better than his (youngest son's armor was a first time attempt, oldest son's is everything that was learned NOT to do). Soooo, I told the youngest that he was like a HALO ninja which turned into to him wanting swords, etc., etc.

So this is what I drew up and built with a little homage to ole Deadpool.......I know it is not anywhere near game accurate at this point, but my kids love it and I have learned quite a bit throughout the process.

IMAG1539[1] — Postimage.org

IMAG1537[1] — Postimage.org

IMAG1538[1] — Postimage.org

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  21. HaloHunterChief

HaloHunterChief

amazing job bro you its really nice u r making it for your children...
    although question what r u going to use for the visor

22. Elcorio

Elcorio New Member

Thanks.

So far, I have had pretty good success with using thin plastic sheets, mirror window film on one side, and colored see through adhesive vinyl film. On the other side. Basically, I apply mirror tint to one side, vinyl to the other, press out all the bubbles, the pep the visor pieces out. So far, I've been able to do the red on in the pics using a sheet of laminating paper and it came out OK, but still had bubbles that I couldn't get out because of the heat used to laminate the sheets. IT just didn't lay flat enough. With the sheet of thin plastic, I should get one a bubble free coverage. Let cure and we'll see how well that works.

HaloHunterChief likes this.
  23. HaloHunterChief

HaloHunterChief

nice idea about the mirror window film I wish I thought of that
    but im sorry if I missed something but r u vacuum forming or what
    P.S. hope your curing works