Status
Not open for further replies.

IisShark

I've recently started wanting to build my own armor set. I was thinking of doing the odst set or the enforcer. Any tips?

That's a little vague. :lol:

What process were you planning on? Foam, Pepakura, or what?
I'll help ya' out, but I can't give you tips without being able to narrow them down...
I'm not really sure which one would be best for a beginner. I was thinking of either foam or pepakure. Not sure which one yet.

I would suggest foam. It takes a lot less time than Pepakura to make it look good. Pepakura is very low-poly in comparison and takes a lot more time in general to sand, shape, smooth, harden, all that stuff.

For example:
upload_2017-5-9_8-28-8.png
This is a helmet in Pepakura. It is relatively high-poly, which will make it take less time to smooth with Bondo; but the paper construction method would take a while. Most people only use Pepakura for helmets as it gets very heavy after a while. another disadvantage is that it can be costly to maintain a safe working environment. Bondo and Fiberglass resin are very toxic, thus the need for a respirator. Respirators are a little pricey, and you need to replace the filters after 40 hours(ish) of use. a helmet usually has 20-30 hours of working hours, depending on quality.

Foam, however, is a lot more beginner friendly. The basic consensus is watching a few How-to videos, and you should be able to catch on from there. It usually begins with a rocky start, but once you figure it out, you can create very nice costumes. I would not recommend starting on the helmet, though. The helmet is the focal point of the costume and must look as perfect as possible (at least by my standards because that's the thing most people look at) Foam is a lot easier indoors because it is not toxic, as well. The main disadvantage? Tools. Tools can be a little bit expensive unless you already have them. you will need (A) a razor blade, and lots of replacement blades, (B) a heat gun, it makes the foam nice and malleable after it has been cut.

If you want to see some step-by-step tutorials on foam, Andrew DFT has some. He doesn't always use the best methods, but if you want to watch something that gives you an idea of foam work, watch his stuff. It's all step-by-step, so you get to see the entire process.

Once you want to learn the best way of making foam props and armor, check out Evil Ted and Punished props on YouTube. They're the big boys in the cosplay world.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your "Great Journey" (haha, Halo 2 joke :D)

Last edited:
I would suggest foam. It takes a lot less time than Pepakura to make it look good. Pepakura is very low-poly in comparison and takes a lot more time in general to sand, shape, smooth, harden, all that stuff.

For example:
View attachment 243123
This is a helmet in Pepakura. It is relatively high-poly, which will make it take less time to smooth with Bondo; but the paper construction method would take a while. Most people only use Pepakura for helmets as it gets very heavy after a while. another disadvantage is that it can be costly to maintain a safe working environment. Bondo and Fiberglass resin are very toxic, thus the need for a respirator. Respirators are a little pricey, and you need to replace the filters after 40 hours(ish) of use. a helmet usually has 20-30 hours of working hours, depending on quality.

Foam, however, is a lot more beginner friendly. The basic consensus is watching a few How-to videos, and you should be able to catch on from there. It usually begins with a rocky start, but once you figure it out, you can create very nice costumes. I would not recommend starting on the helmet, though. The helmet is the focal point of the costume and must look as perfect as possible (at least by my standards because that's the thing most people look at) Foam is a lot easier indoors because it is not toxic, as well. The main disadvantage? Tools. Tools can be a little bit expensive unless you already have them. you will need (A) a razor blade, and lots of replacement blades, (B) a heat gun, it makes the foam nice and malleable after it has been cut.

If you want to see some step-by-step tutorials on foam, Andrew DFT has some. He doesn't always use the best methods, but if you want to watch something that gives you an idea of foam work, watch his stuff. It's all step-by-step, so you get to see the entire process.

Once you want to learn the best way of making foam props and armor, check out Evil Ted and Punished props on YouTube. They're the big boys in the cosplay world.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your "Great Journey" (haha, Halo 2 joke :D)
Thanks for the help :D
I'll be sure to check them out
You've been a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back