Noob Squad Wip Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

necromancer518

Hey guys, Nec here finally starting my WiP thread/chronicle of bad decisions and insanity. Let me start at the beginning; my friends and I went to NYAF (New York Anime Fest) at the end of last month. We sat through a particularly terrible masquerade (if anyone was there I was one of the loud and obnoxious individuals making jokes about everything) and at the end we all simultaneously got the idea to come back the following year as ODST's and take the stage... by force if necessary. We talked all about the show that we'd put on next year and I had figured as usual the idea would die that night. I couldn't have been so lucky. The next weekend daethwing188 (one of my partners in crime) invites me over and shows me the TON of homework he's been doing about our project, most of which was taken from here (thank you guys for all the articles and information, without you this project probably would have died that night. Fortunate for us, unfortunate for my social life)

So, like chickens without heads we roamed the streets Manhattan searching for all the materials we needed and in the process spending way too much money, and getting almost all the supplies day 1... some of which we probably didn't need (daeth, like Luke Skywalker sometimes has delusions of grandeur.) We managed to get the bulk of our supplies from Pearl Paint (308 Canal St between Broadway and Mercer) and The Compleat Sculptor (90 Vandam St between Hudson and Greenwich) which is an amazing store and skullcandy girl, we love you for discovering it.

Before I go any further, I'd like to outline our goals for the project:

1) 3 suits of ODST armor finished enough for Halloween (stretch goal, probably not gonna happen)

2) 3 suits of ODST armor finished to the best quality possible including individual variations, optics, and individual weapon sets. I believe we're looking for M6C/SOCOM x3, M90A Shotgun x1, M41 SSR MAV/AW x1, Sniper Rifle System 99D-S2 Anti-Material x1. I'm going for the shotgun/pistol.

3) Some kind of stage show to accompany the armor

4) Attend as many conventions as possible as ODSTs (representing the 405th of course)

We got off to a great start our first weekend by doing absolutely nil. Printing problems and general jackassery stopped us from accomplishing much of anything other than buying the materials. The work finally started when I took the cardstock home and started working on the Rookie helmet (Rundown version on the wiki) chosen by daeth. I essentially jumped into peping in a trial by fire manner, and at the time of writing this I'd say I'm 5/6ths done (pictures coming eventually.) That particular helmet choice was both a great idea, and a TERRIBLE one. Terrible because its pretty complex, intricate, and an all around pain in the ass. Plus the pep isn't the greatest, and quite confusing (I was working without edge ID's, which if you dont know is a BAD IDEA!) It was a good idea because I learned a lot about proper folding, how pieces generally go together, and a little finesse with the glue gun. Since then I've been enlightened that the latest Rundown/Ral Partha pep is much better (found here)

So after 4 days work (3-5 hours each night) You'd think I'd feel pretty good that my helmet is starting to shape, no? Well you'd be wrong. I had my doubts the whole time, but it wasn't until I connected most of the pieces tonight that I had discovered the helmet (which daeth assured me was properly scaled for someone of the 6ft mark) was in fact too small for our heads. Epic Fail. The first, but probably not the last. Unless he reads this before I see him again, I can guarantee you that said improperly scaled helmet will be hurtled at his oversize melon. Back to the drawing board.

To blow off some steam I spent some time making a frag grenade (pictures to follow tomorrow when I'm not so tired) and that looks pretty alright, though I didnt realize until after that the pep puts the handle (which is a completely separate piece) inside of the grenade itself with no direction for attaching it.

Now at this point in my rant I've realized that I haven't really explained the meaning of my topic description, I will do that now. We plan on making 3 suits, however I'm probably the only one that will make that plan a reality. Daeth has professed that he isn't a very handy kind of man, and our other accomplice Vex_man (who may or may not be joining the site) generally has a hard time getting to either of our places. He's pretty handy, but I'm a bit too much of a control freak to hand over the reins to someone else. So, essentially I plan on making 3 suits... though I'm not opposed to them assembly lining the cutout process, and once we get to the resin stage I'm pretty in the dark (for now.)

I plan on trying to get a lot done this weekend, barring my social life rearing its ugly head. Updates and pics to follow. Also, for anybody who makes it down to this point in my wall of text, thank you for reading. I tend to rant and ramble more and more as the night goes on, and I end up explaining things that are unnecessary. Farewell for the time being, and oo-rah!

-Nec

Quick note: anything negative said about daeth is said in good fun and with love. He's my buddy and while he can have the occasional colossal blunder, and has a penchant for driving me up a wall sometimes, he's a great guy and without his direction, research, and guidance I wouldn't have found this site, or started this project. Felt like I came down a little to hard on him in the above post and I didnt want anyone to get the wrong idea.

-Nec

Pics or nothing happened!!! :p

Otherwise sounds freaking awesome!! I would do that if more of my friends made armor here. All i know is me and a co-worker are going to run the bowling alley here on "Halo"ween as ODST Dutch (Me) and a Master Chief for him :pGlad to see people get enthusiastic about showing off!! hahaha

Hope you don't splatter on impact,

-Loki

Last edited by a moderator:
Trickster Loki, we ALL splatter on impact.

Nec, I'm gonna grunt punt you in the face... but thank you for the words either way.

Anyways, I may not be the handiest, but I'll be damned if I wasn't the one funding the damn project, I wrote some off as school expenses but have the money to pay off eventually I also intend to help out my fair share with the resin, glassing, painting, finishing, etc. I just don't entirely trust myself with pepping.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what our ODST squad name should be? We're looking for something in reference to NYC. Thoughts?

Also, if you all are lucky enough, maybe Nec and I will post up pictures of us looking like idiots in matching flightsuits.

I'm out for now.

-Daeth

P.S. SMG + Pistol + SPNKR combo for me.

**EDIT**

Oh yeah, the reason I've been so preoccupied and unhelpful (besides everyday life) happens to be the fact that I was messing around with a side project of my own. Which leads me to... if anyone knows anything about modding cellphones (Verizon wireless specific knowledge is REALLY useful) then please PM me. THANK YOU ALL.

-Daeth

Man, doing this with a friend would be fun. I have one buddy doing it too but he lives pretty far away from me. Good luck to you and your mates.

Pics or it didnt happen they say... well here you go:

helmet006.jpg

helmet001.jpg

helmet010.jpg

helmet002.jpg

helmet007.jpg

Not the best picture (blind pictures are difficult) the helmet is just big enough to get over my head, but its very uncomfortable.

helmet011.jpg

and last but not least, my little brother was generous enough to model the mostly finished helmet.

helmet012.jpg

I made a frag grenade today, so it's good to see that someone else noticed the problems with the pep file.

I'm not even sure if the frag in Halo 3 even has a spoon, but I attached it anyways. I'm thinking about making my own model for my next grenade, because the one on the halocostumingwiki kinda sucks.

I don't know what your plans are for your grenade, but I filled mine with a $#!Tload of hot glue. It ended up making for a really sturdy grenade, and it was even stronger when I coated it with some good ol' fiberglass resin.

Anyway, the whole ODST suit sounds like a fun idea. It'll probably be a lot more fun since you're doing it with your friends. Believe it or not, sitting in the corner of your room folding paper by yourself, gets pretty pathetic and boring after a while.

Good luck on your project....

Potshot said:
I made a frag grenade today, so it's good to see that someone else noticed the problems with the pep file.

I'm not even sure if the frag in Halo 3 even has a spoon, but I attached it anyways. I'm thinking about making my own model for my next grenade, because the one on the halocostumingwiki kinda sucks.

I don't know what your plans are for your grenade, but I filled mine with a $#!Tload of hot glue. It ended up making for a really sturdy grenade, and it was even stronger when I coated it with some good ol' fiberglass resin.

Anyway, the whole ODST suit sounds like a fun idea. It'll probably be a lot more fun since you're doing it with your friends. Believe it or not, sitting in the corner of your room folding paper by yourself, gets pretty pathetic and boring after a while.

Good luck on your project....

I didnt really have any plans for the grenade when I was making it, more of a situation where I wanted to do something small that I could finish for the sense of accomplishment (the helmet was taking too long and ended up being too small.) Other than that I was probably just going to throw it ad daeth and Vex for fun. I'm glad I ended up doing it because it showed me how difficult fully enclosed peps can be, and I discovered that annoying little problem with the spoon. When we're all said and done with our suits I'm probably going to go back and make a couple more that I can attach to the hardpoints of the armor for a bit more realism. Also I left mine empty, mostly because I'm trying to ration my glue, and that it didn't dawn on me at the time.

Funny you mention the pathetic and boring part, that's kinda all I've been doing this week. We'll just say that "scheduling conflicts" have prevented either of my partners from joining in on the wonderful pepping fun. Which is why I'm moving along as a snails pace (essentially 1 part per day... maybe) Since I've taken those pictures I finished the Weta torst and chest pieces. I should have some pictures of that stuff in a couple days.

daethwing188

Yes my friend, that is and ODST shirt. I have a couple of em, and a few other nifty things that I'll be sneaking into my pictures.

I'm not sure what I'll be starting next, possibly the shoulders but I will keep the updates swift.

Also, if there are any more 405th-ers in the NY area let us know! We want to meet you guys (and girls) and share war stores... or just hang out. Oo-Rah!

-Nec

I am glad you are doing this with your friends. Time seems to go faster that way when you are making stuff like this. My and my Clac buddy are doing the battle of the console games. He is making the Mark V armor and I am making the Helghast. We are one year going to walk around my college and into the Electronic Gaming Society (Club at my College) Game day and see the reactions.

Asketh and ye shall Recieve...eth.

[attachment=12774:ODST 002.jpg]

[attachment=12776:ODST 005.jpg]

[attachment=12775:ODST 004.jpg]

[attachment=12777:ODST 006.jpg]

[attachment=12773:ODST 003.jpg]

Progress so far. I could really use the help of my minions to make this process faster and smoother. Damn minions and their labor unions and social lives....

Anyway next up is the shoulders then probably the stomach plates. I should be sleeping...

-Nec

So in an attempt to achieve the stretch goal of getting everything done for Halloween I've surrendered my next 2 weekends to the project. Also we may only be making 2 suits for that deadline. As it stand the schedule is this weekend: bang out the rest of the pepwork for both suits, next weekend: resin, fiberglass, sand, and paint. There's a good chance there won't be any more pictures until after the weekend. It depends on how hard classes decide to be for me this week. As usual I'll try to keep the updates swift.

-Nec

necromancer518 said:
So in an attempt to achieve the stretch goal of getting everything done for Halloween I've surrendered my next 2 weekends to the project. Also we may only be making 2 suits for that deadline. As it stand the schedule is this weekend: bang out the rest of the pepwork for both suits, next weekend: resin, fiberglass, sand, and paint. There's a good chance there won't be any more pictures until after the weekend. It depends on how hard classes decide to be for me this week. As usual I'll try to keep the updates swift.

-Nec

A good call. I'll be helping if I can during the week so that you might have my assistance for the weekends. I'll get the rest of the gear over there for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back