Noobs first build(s) all WIP H3 MKVI Dead Eye & more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newest test piece. Any guesses? IMG_0067.JPG View media item 1956

Last edited:
Ding ding ding..... we have a winner. Fun size noble 6 :) This was a test print tho, so has some issues plus I wanted to see if I got the scaling close. So I'm happy with the scaling but not happy with the print software with my printer. The support generator is garbage plus I didn't orientate the parts correctly. So still learning the ropes haha. Next print will be much better and I'll do my supports probably thru mesh mixer. Only software I've gotten a starting point with. And question for you 3d printers, with these odd shape helmets do you want to print these piece as vertical as possible? Or should I say with the least amount of horizontal? Hopefully question kind of makes sense.
And credit to jase1969 on thingiverse for the model .

Last edited:
For a printer that you got in a trade, that seems to be pretty damn good. I mean, either way it'll save time, since even if you have to do a lot of bondo, it's like skipping the pep and resin phase altogether.

Yes printing for me is a huge time saver and much easier on the hands. But I'm slowly now realizing why I got this printer in such a trade. It was kind of impulse and I didn't do any research on it.I have more time messing with it then I do printing. Plus I'm working on fixing the proprietary filament problem. As of now I'm printing with the original cartridges it came with. And I won't be buying more because they expensive and not much plastic. But I think I have found the solution for this, so we'll see. So now that I have a taste of printing I think I'm hooked, even with all the headaches. I'm already looking for my next printer, something a with a little more print and a little less work.

That's a nice looking test chin you got there ;). How many sections do you have to break it down into? That was one of the reasons I was hesitant in buying a smaller printer, wish I could afford a really big one that could get a helmet or weapon in one shot, haha one day they'll be affordable...

That's a nice looking test chin you got there ;). How many sections do you have to break it down into? That was one of the reasons I was hesitant in buying a smaller printer, wish I could afford a really big one that could get a helmet or weapon in one shot, haha one day they'll be affordable...
The whole helmet I broke down into 10 pieces. That chin piece is 2 printed on pla. The printer doesn't do abs well plus I actually learned something new called friction welding. I was actually able to weld the 2 pieces together by putting filament in a dremel. Being a mechanic by trade this was right up my alley. The whole process was pretty need and the weld actually turns out to be stronger then the print itself. So for a test piece it turned out great I think the scale is good and i learned a little of what not to do haha. I'm actually already low on filament so might be a little bit before I get much farther with any of the builds. I actually now have a noble sick and a spartan Locke that would like to be done for my boys.

Last edited:
Wow that sounds like a very interesting process, I would've never thought to use a dremel hmmm If I ever get printer and have to combine pieces I know who I am contacting for bonding info ;). Friction welding sounds very interesting, thanks for teh info!

Thanks coolrextreme.
So I have a question for you fellow foamers. What are you using for adhesive? I've been using hot glue with guess id call it "ok" results. It's messy and I have to use a large amount for it to hold well. I also have to clean all the excess off from my seams and it's near impossible to get it all off. I have tried several contact adhesives and they didn't work well. I have yet to try barge cement as its quite pricey and I can't find it locally. Anyone using barge cement or have any experience with it? I'm thinking I trying it I know couple of the youtube guys use it and make it looks easy.

I've been using DAP Weldwood contact cement recently, and it's been working very well. :)

So have a small update for you guys on my builds. Progress has been slow playing with this new world of 3d printing. I'm slowly starting to get the hang of things. So my MC build is up for a while, I'll prob get back to it and finish it up once I break out my foaming gear again. And then the teaser for the thom noble 6 build might be scratched. I have 2 boys 9 and 11 and they don't seem to be able to make up their mind on an armor. Sooooo..... I started my new piece........ going to attempt to my H5 multiplayer character.
IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0071.JPG
All you 3d print guys can prob see the few spots my print bed shifted a bit on a few of the pieces. I'm hoping to save it I don't like wasting filament. Stupid cube magnetic print bed. I know it needs a lot of cleaning up but I have a lot of pieces to print and fit together. so lll be cleaning it all up once everything's printed.
And I found another score at the Walmart I hope is going to pan out.
image.jpg
I'm going to be wrapping my foam under suit parts in this stuff. Basically the same as what I'd seen the guys from impact props do. So hopefully I'll be having some more updates fairly soon. Thanks

Last edited:
Another small update here: So my 2 boys have finally at least decided on the helmets they would like me to build. And of course both helmets are from H5 and are only assets obj files and are pretty rough. So I am attempting to stumble through smoothing them a little with blender. A big thanks to nemesis2500 for posting a RPF link in someones thread on smoothing in blender, it was a huge help in getting me started.
So here is what Ive got so far....the dead eye helmet is about done and I'm working on the teishin helmet at the moment. They aren't going to be crazy detailed or 100% accurate but I think the boys are going to be happy with them. I also found the blender tutorial thread after I started printing my wetwork helmet so that's going back to square one. Now a few pics.I still have no idea what I'm doing just kind of making it up as I go.
dead eye screen.JPG teishin screen shot.JPG

Attachments

• teishin screen shot.JPG
    teishin screen shot.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
So I have posted this in the pepakura request thread but I'm not sure how often that thread is visited. Figured I'd try here as well. I'm looking for someone to possibly convert a pdo file to an obj file for me. I wish I could find more of the older files in obj like they are for H4 and H5 pieces. I'm not able to export files with the free version of pepakura builder. Looking for the halo-3-mjolnir-mkvi-bicep-and-shoulder-left.pdo and halo-3-mjolnir-mkvi-bicep-and-shoulder-right.pdo from the H3 MKVI UHD file zip in the armory. I would like to make this file 3d printable I just need the obj file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will also be posting all the files once completed.

Ok so I have some printable models to upload.. I have put them into a zip folder and compressed them but when I go to upload file it gives me an error saying the file is too large. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

you might have to upload each part separately. smooth Blender files tend to be very large.
you can save them to OneDrive and post a link on here instead.

So a little progress today. I have 2 of 16 pieces printed for the dead eye helmet. Prints are coming out soooo much better thanks to nemesis2500 pointing me to the blender tutorial. They will still need some finish work but I'm very happy with them. So with 2 pieces done I can tell this is going to have to be a split helmet. Haven't quite figured out how I want to to that yet. Also I am now realizing just how very narrow and long this helmet really is...... I thought I left enough width but I'm haven't doubts now that I'm holding the 2 pieces, so fingers crossed. So after seeing these 2 prints I hate to do it but my wet work shown in previous posts is being scrapped for a much smoother model I've been working on. So here's a shot of the dead eye helmet.
IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0085.JPG
One good thing about my lame printer is that my prints stick! I'm able to print without supports, just a raft ( I gambled, wasn't too sure it would do it)Saves on print time and much cleaner print..... a few spots in the inside get some minor drooping but the inside won't be seen.

Then went back to my roots and dabbled with some for a few......working on 2 ab plates thanks to mawrtrons templates. And if anyone's interested I had asked about scaling a PDF in dirtdives thead, the print setup page lets you scale the image to whatever you like. So I scaled them down to 80% for my 4'6"ish Spartans. Not much done tho I need a new foam knife. Its pretty dull and couldn't be saved. But hey progress is progress.
IMG_0087.JPG
So that's all for now.... slowly but surely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back