North Alabama Odst Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I don't intend for this to look like necro posting, but these topics get pushed back so far so quickly that I suppose I can't help it. But I have updates.

As the project leader for our group, it's up to me to work through the suit to get all the parts figured out and assembled so we can breeze through the other three suits with all of our problems already solved. So naturally my personal suit is coming along before the other three suits. So far, I have most of the vest built. I have one remaining rib piece to install attachment points on, and one more of the little side belt pieces to finish. But with those molds done and the first pieces already cast, I've turned my attention to the shoulder bells and their padded sleeves.

S7009675.jpg

Here you can see the shoulder armor as it is fixed to the vest. The armor parts appear to be sitting higher than they should be, but that's because of the mannequin's broad shoulders. On my body, they sit at the correct height.

S7009676.jpg

The shoulder pad is just a black cotton twill that is double layered and padded. The detail stitching was made per the details on the live action suits (as seen in the "Making of" video).

S7009679.jpg

And as you can see, i've been painting the armor. Obviously I'm painting it clean at the moment. I want to have the full vest done before I begin weathering it. I'm going to do several layers of weathering to achieve the look of the live action suits. I'll be doing some silver "chipped paint" detailing, black carbon scoring marks, oil drips, and finally life-like mud splatter. I'm going to be experimenting with using real dirt mixed into acrylic gel medium (so that it's basically real dirt on the suit, but permanently sealed onto the armor.

Oh, and also you can see our group logo. We just decided on "1st Alabama ODST," though we really only chose it arbitrarily just to have a nifty logo. ;)

Same deal as before, not intending to necro, but the posts get buried way back by the time I have updates, and I don't really want to start a new thread.

But what I have has been weathered. We have almost four full vests worth of armor so far, plus knees and other bits. We're starting on our shin/calf molds this weekend. I'll try to have pics of that later. I really just wanted to show off my weathered vest. In this pic, it's missing the left rib and the mystery silver block pieces that go below them.

S7009739.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back