Now Molding!!! Spase WIP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really makes me wonder how my armor would have looked if I'd used glaze.. I've done so many coats of bondo-ing, applyng, sanding, detailing, finding holes and more bondo, then redetailing... rinse and repeat... I would of been done ages ago if I'd known about this stuff... As it is my back porch is 2 inches deep in fiberglass and bondo dust.. I'm kind of a perfectionist.. only unable to achieve anything near it, so I'm locked in a never ending cycle.. Maybe glaze can finally do what I want...

dsurge said:
Alrighty then:)

How many layers of glaze are there? And approximately (I didn't catch a value in terms of minutes) how long do you leave the tape on a section before removing it? Also, do you stack layers of tape, or is the glaze thin enough for just 1 layer to hold it in place?

As many layers as it took... some were 1, some were 4.... Leaving the tape on is a "by feel" operation... when it stops trying to self level, but isn't hardened yet, still very tacky to the touch is when I pull it... but be carful, and you may need to follow the tape edge with an exacto or razor blade, as if its started to set, and you start pulling, you will pull the glaze away from the surface and then you are really in bad shape.. I didn't stack layers, but I folded in onto itself to make little walls, or I used a piece of carboard as a wall,, and used it to form up the glaze... imagaine it is about like the frame for pouring a house foundation... I pour in the glaze into my little section with walls, it it is thick, way thicker than is really meant for glaze... it would really be better if everyone just used bondo putty to get the rough smooth shape, then used glaze to skim the surface... it would be the easiest way if you don't have any experience with glaze...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah thats what I'll be doing. It's also more bulletproof that way. Not that I'm going to be taking any bullets... I PM'd you but is Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty the same type of product? Oh and I'm also using shhet plastic for detail. My helmets' sorta gonna be a Spase/DarthCaliber Hybrid. Or SDH. I Like that... I'll be putting the plastic on the small flat areas. Did you use plastic for detailing?

Spase, I havent had the time to tell you how much your helmet rocks! The fires in San Diego had caused me to immediately go to Los Angeles and I couldnt really post that often because I honestly didnt feel like it. I was staying at my aunts house, she has internet so I just started watching this topic from day one. I really enjoyed the progress you have made and i consider this a job well done!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back