(Null).exe's Half-Life 2 Hev Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks more like a woven material to me.

but yeah, I'm basically going to use craft foam covered in fabric.

If you look closely, you'll see that the red lining(padding?) is present in almost every armor piece. It'll also help keep everything in place. I'm still going to use magnets, but the cloth-covered foam will help.

(null).exe said:
It looks more like a woven material to me.

but yeah, I'm basically going to use craft foam covered in fabric.

If you look closely, you'll see that the red lining(padding?) is present in almost every armor piece. It'll also help keep everything in place. I'm still going to use magnets, but the cloth-covered foam will help.

i noticed the lower arm pieces and inner armpit parts on the chest had it

possibly some sort of canvas?

Last edited by a moderator:
part 2 said:
i noticed the lower arm pieces and inner armpit parts on the chest had it

possibly some sort of canvas?

That seems a little coarse to me, especially on the next opening, where it'll be rubbing on skin whenever I turn my head.

I was thinking a slicker fabric, maybe a high thread-count cotton? Hell, I can always use some lycra/spandex or something.

(null).exe said:
That seems a little coarse to me, especially on the next opening, where it'll be rubbing on skin whenever I turn my head.

I was thinking a slicker fabric, maybe a high thread-count cotton? Hell, I can always use some lycra/spandex or something.

true

to me it does look like some sort of maroon leather

the best reference pic imo

NOTE its only around the top of the lower arm and the neck - armpits

freeman.jpg

g_free_270505.jpg

merah.jpg

hmmmm yer right...

i think i have just the stuff too.

it's called marine vinyl. it's made for upholstering ski boats and whatnot. Super flexible and a little stretchy, and it won't discolor. I just saw some in that dark red color the other day (I was shopping for more material to re-make my Dante costume from Devil May Cry, and Dante's coat and Freeman's padding are very close in color).

(null).exe said:
hmmmm yer right...

i think i have just the stuff too.

it's called marine vinyl. it's made for upholstering ski boats and whatnot. Super flexible and a little stretchy, and it won't discolor. I just saw some in that dark red color the other day (I was shopping for more material to re-make my Dante costume from Devil May Cry, and Dante's coat and Freeman's padding are very close in color).

awesome

ill look into it also :)

and for the abdominal armour i would use a canvas

EDIT fixed the pics in my last post

if it don't show go here http://halflife2rs.altervista.org/personaggi/freeman.jpg

part 2 said:
awesome

ill look into it also :)

and for the abdominal armour i would use a canvas

EDIT fixed the pics in my last post

if it don't show go here http://halflife2rs.altervista.org/personaggi/freeman.jpg

I'm thinking about using this stuff called cotton duck fabric. It has a really nice weave and is a little stretchy. Alternatively, I might use some of this:

SPCR-07.gif

It's called spacer spandex and is $10 per yard (about 5 quid?) but looks almost perfect and is definitely stretchy enough to do the job.

Bondo said:
looks great so far

Thanks man! It's the constructive criticism and the compliments that keep me going!

found a way to hinge the lower leg bits yet? did you use loess' unfolded lower leg piece or did you re scale that part?

part 2 said:
found a way to hinge the lower leg bits yet? did you use loess' unfolded lower leg piece or did you re scale that part?

I re-unfolded the lower leg piece(s) (they're identical, so you could really use one .pdo and just make it twice)

I've decided to do away with the whole hinge idea. I'm going to just have all the pieces attach to each other using 4 pound rare-earth magnets. when 2 of the magnets stick together they exert a force 1.5 times as strong as the magnet's listed force, so i think that 6 pounds should be plenty to hold all the pieces together, but will still allow me to take the armor off relatively easily.

The armor is already segmented. Just cut each piece apart along the lines shown in the official Valve artwork.

For the thigh,

ThighAttach.jpg

The thigh piece is going to be cut in half along the line that is shown. I'm going to cut a matching line on the back as well, so when I'm done, I'll have 2 halves. Then, when you're fiberglassing, just put a 2 to 4 pound rare-earth magnet in the resin on the inside of the armor at the points shown in fuschia. Once the resin and glass have dried and hardened, the 2 halves will be held together by the magnets.

For the shin,

ShinAttach.jpg

I'm making up a line, since there aren't any high-res shots of the side of the leg. But I'm just matching it with all the other segmentation lines in the other various pieces of armor. The black line will be my cut line, again with a matching line on the other side, then magnets will be inserted on the inner side of the armor in the resin.

Do that for ALL the armor pieces and it should fit together perfectly!

(null).exe said:
Here's some love for you all, a little fit test i did on the completed pieces. Yes I double posted, but it's adding content, so :p

BeltFront.jpg

Yes I know the tips aren't centered, it's being held up with masking tape for the moment, cut me some slack :)

BeltSide.jpg

Another of the belt piece, I think it sits nicely, with enough room for my extra bulk in the padded underarmor.

So with your scaling dimensions did the belt fit perfect, or was it slightly snug? I'm still have problems with scaling, I've downloaded both ver of pepakura (2 the last ver realest and the newest 3) In 3 I can't adjust the width without effecting the depth, height and scale? I want to size mine up to fit me and my padding that I'm making, but can't seem to figure out this pepakura... It looks easy and I'm still on the help website search, but if anyone else on here knows anything that I'm missing, please drop me a line if you have the time. :eek

Thank you,

~Drah :D

Drahkir said:
So with your scaling dimensions did the belt fit perfect, or was it slightly snug? I'm still have problems with scaling, I've downloaded both ver of pepakura (2 the last ver realest and the newest 3) In 3 I can't adjust the width without effecting the depth, height and scale? I want to size mine up to fit me and my padding that I'm making, but can't seem to figure out this pepakura... It looks easy and I'm still on the help website search, but if anyone else on here knows anything that I'm missing, please drop me a line if you have the time. :eek

Thank you,

~Drah :D

It actually had a little wiggle room on me, perfect for adding some padding. I actually had to put tape on the inside of the belt to keep it from sliding down.

To change the size, I did a rough measurement of my width, by having someone hold a tape measure out in a straight line and getting the distance from one hipbone to the other along that straight line. Overshoot so you have plenty of space. Then in which ever pep you want, change the orientation so that the top of the model is one side of the belt and the bottom is the opposite side, then input the size you just got from measuring.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back