Odst Back Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyman

Jr Member
there are a lot of people working on ODST costumes but I havent found anyone who has worked on the back pads that go over the shoulder blades.
the pep files treat the pads like a plate over each shoulder blade, but when you look at the reference pictures and the Weta costumes, the back pads are just an extension of the straps that go over the shoulders and connect with the chest piece(s)
has anyone finished that part of their armor or have an idea of how to get around it?

i figure you could just go with the pep files and it would look great but I'd still have that nagging thought in the back of my head.

would it be better to try and make the shoulder straps from cloth and padding and have some sort of skeleton to shape it over the shoulder blades? am I making sense? please say so if not

I know what your talking about, the back pads, from what I have seen, are actually just one big piece. If you need a reference, play The Covenent and right after you destroy the first AA wraith, look at your ODSTs' backs.
I had drafted the armor on paper before I knew about pep.

I had planned to make the shoulder pads from layers of 1/4" closed cell foam laminated over a form. That would allow them to maintain that shape without stretching or compressing like you would get trying to bend a single thicker piece of foam. If you look carefully at the top of the shoulder pads, you can see that the strap is inset into the top of the pad. Leaving out a strip in the top layer of the lamination would accommodate that detail nicely.

shoulder1.jpg

I have held the Weta Vest in my hands... they used a Dense Foam Rubber for the vest parts you are referring to... it was also none to light.

Well the "plate" aspect was created for people like me who can't sew. I did my best. They are also a proportion guide. As others have said, I figured a rubber type material for the actual torso and something like a heavy foam in book bag calibur nylon fir the straps and pads.

Essentially you have it Bones... Dense cast rubber vest, plates attached to it later. Unfortunately most of the pep constructors wont be able to simulate this... so sewing this under-vest is your next best option, nylon over foam would be the best option I can think of, with attachment points for your armor.

thank you all. most helpful comments.

Spase: Out of curiosity, which of the front pieces were part of the vest and which ones were plates added afterwards? The 2 center pieces look added with the 4 on the sides as part of the vest

Spase said:
I have held the Weta Vest in my hands... they used a Dense Foam Rubber for the vest parts you are referring to... it was also none to light.

:eek: how did you get to hold it? Was it epic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back