Odst Paintball Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am haji said:
haha make your helmet out of scratch with plastic? dude your gonna need a lot of experince. The ODST helmet profile has a lot of curvature, and plastic, doesnt curve especially if its thick.

You cant just mold it, its gonna have to be heated and then it will be very senstive to how you shape it in short period time before it cools back down. There will be a big margin for error and more than likely the helmet will be unsymetrical.

Yeah, this looks to be a lot of effort in the helm, I may simply buy one.

i am haji said:
look man, This is the best advise i can give you. Make your armor from pep or out of whatever is easiest for you .... its going to be your mold dummy.

I'm making a pep one, it's just fiddly and time consuming.

i am haji said:
This is going to be cost extensive. Your gonna have to make a silicone mold, and you'll be looking around 180 dollars of it. On smooth-on i saw urethane plastic that was labeled impact resitince. You can look into that. your going to order at least 90 dollars of it because the sample size wont be enough.

Now you dont have to worry about your helmet shattering.

Perhaps whoever I order it off, I could ask them to cast it in impact resistant urethane? That would be much easier...

i am haji said:
You could do the same for the armor peices, but you'll need more silicone. Since your not worried about it stopping a paintball, just leave it pepped. or You can use 1.75mm polystyrene plastic sheets to make the armor since most of the surfaces are flat and it wont be to difficult to work with. I think Link4044 did a portion of his armor with plastic.

Reason i wouldnt use plastic is because its not as easy to sand, your your peices have to be evenly measured and designed and cut accordingly. With Fiberglass+body filler, You easily sand into the desired shape. Im more concerned about accuracy then durability.

That would also give me the ability to alter the armor slightly to allow better movement, thanks, I'll look into that :)

i am haji said:
lol btw... 4 pages?!?! have you even started?

Nope, still design and planning stage.

-Kaster

Last edited by a moderator:
ok guys, i took out some of my stuff 2 weeks to ago to test it in a 200+ player pb game. they survived without a scratch. 3 layers fiber, bondo and 2 layers of resin as a clear coat. worked great.

I dont know if distributors do casting for the customer. You could PM a member to do it when its finished

What i was saying is you order the silicone and make the mold. Then you have to make the pull, or cast. Your going pour the liquid urethane (purchase this as well) into the mold. Your probally going to have to use extra batches for strength

I remember my friend who had a stomach injure because of the fiberglass,he made some Spartan armor was running in paintball,and got ambushed and shot 50 time all over,his chest piece fiberglass broke off and a large chunk flew into his stomach,he was rushed to hospital,and is now called "the dumbass who played paintball in 3 layered fiberglassed spartan armor and almost died due to it."

no kidding,we all stopped,lucky he was down before i got over there,or those guys would've got a whooping from me(pop a cap in yo @$$).I'm one of the sneakiest paintballers alive,able to take a team down by suprise without getting shot.So is my friend,but the armor clacking gave him off due to the sound,and he wasnt able to hide quickly enough due to decreased movement,even with drastic mods on it for better mobility he still couldn't move fast enough.Tragic,yes it is.Just don't end up like that okay mate,it's not worth it.

Anyways,I'm in pain since i tripped while playing yesterday and slammed in to a tree

and got pegged on the floor 200 times by other teams(I even counted my bruises.Blind firing is also very useful,well unless you're planning to flank at the same time,or else you might be flanked yourself.

Thus why I plan to test whatever I'm planning to try before I even consider wearing it in a match, to avoid bits breaking off and killing me.

-Kaster

Kasterborus said:
Thus why I plan to test whatever I'm planning to try before I even consider wearing it in a match, to avoid bits breaking off and killing me.

-Kaster

Just because it doesn't break the first time, doesn't mean it won't later on.

Well, now my father has jumped on board. He works for a local factory and has access to lots of plate metal and such, and has said that it would be possible for him to make all the body armor from aluminum, he'll bend, roll and shape it up for me if he gets a chance at work, using their facilities. It'll be solid enough that it won't shatter when a paintball hits it and stuff. Now my only real concern is a helmet.

-Kaster

Kasterborus said:
Well, now my father has jumped on board. He works for a local factory and has access to lots of plate metal and such, and has said that it would be possible for him to make all the body armor from aluminum, he'll bend, roll and shape it up for me if he gets a chance at work, using their facilities. It'll be solid enough that it won't shatter when a paintball hits it and stuff. Now my only real concern is a helmet.

-Kaster

Yeah, that would do it. I can't wait to see this suit actually happen.

Kasterborus said:

-Kaster

I'm gonna say it: Oh my God. And the ODST armor has small enough pieces that it won't be stupidly heavy, too! I'd say getting a cast helmet is your best bet. There are several people doing limited runs of helmets right now, and I do believe at least some of them are made-to-order. And hey, even if it does break, smoothcast won't give you injuries like fiberglass.

Good luck with the build, as you've seen by the hundreds of previous comments we're just concerned for your safety, so now you've heard that speech .. you're violating 2 rules #1 long signatures are not allowed #2 re-hosting of the pepakura files is a MAJOR no-no, please take them down and remove the links from your post.

Cheers,

Kensai

oh just to add in. i have been using hockey gear without the plastic pieces to give some padding and take up extra room, they work great and give you some added protection

Ehh.. I'd vote against it.. While it would be fun. I don't think that the armor would be able to take all the stress over that much time.

Plus it would be a lot of work, time, and even a little money to end up ruining it.

Well, from the current standpoint, the only part that is vulnerable to actually being destroyed is the helm, and I'm sure that now I'm thinking 100% on that, I'll figure something. Apparently there is this plastic stuff that comes in two (or maybe 3 parts, not entirely sure) and you mix together, and it mixes to form high-impact plastic.

Also, rehosting of pep files has been removed. Working on new sig now.

-Kaster

Dark Fang made a video about paintballs and helmets.

Take a look at this

Paintball Test

Trust me if you put as much time in as it takes to make the armor, if you do it the right way, then I doubt you'll want anyone shooting at it.

He says himself that it's only got 1 layer of FIBERGLASS, for at least 1 page, more likely about 2, I've said I'm moving away from Fiberglass, as, even though I COULD make it strong enough, I'm not gonna just because of the weight aspect.

-Kaster

hey i am new here so a may be wrong but i agree with -Kaster-, it will rock if you could go paintballing with a ODST suit, but i would not use plastic or fiberglass for the vest and for the pants, y will rather use fabrics the are hard like regular paintball vests use put mold it in to and cut it so the it looks like the ODST suit.

Hey Deso, nice to have you here.

I've now deiced to get another member here to make me a Plastic one from the Moulds he has, he agreed to sell them to me but with the condition that if I kill myself with the use of said costume, all the responsibility is on me. Lawl.

-Kaster

028-187-0002

i know it dosen´t look like the ODST suit but i just wanted to show if you re arrange some of the padding and add some bigger padding in the upper part of the vest it would look very good, you know if one can get the padding of difrent colors so it Differ form teh rest of the padding make it more like the original ODST suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back