Foam ODST: Version 1 was okay. Now for Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I've been putting off building a former for a little bit and have done my ODST visor and Soldier 76 one using a heat gun and patience.
Would you happen to have any links for Tuts on how to make a buck? Since this is now an option for me, I will look into going this route. As a test I can make a new visor for my son's Project Mini Chief helmet.

Not much progress this week. Just added the trim to the shoulders, mounted the chest plate to the main rig. I also remade the belt and cod plate.
I have printed and started cutting out the templates for the bucket.
20180311_001727.jpg
20180311_001712.jpg

PaiganBoi, I love the way you inverted the foam to accent the backs of the foam. I am surprised that you didn't do the same w/ the hip pieces. One thing I never took in to account was the direction of the foam back.....Yours looks much better than I ever did because everything is straight......where as I guts did it haphazardly. Great job man!!!

PaiganBoi, I love the way you inverted the foam to accent the backs of the foam. I am surprised that you didn't do the same w/ the hip pieces. One thing I never took in to account was the direction of the foam back.....Yours looks much better than I ever did because everything is straight......where as I guts did it haphazardly. Great job man!!!
Thanks man. Funny you mentioned the hip plates. I was thinking the same thing. They are easy enough to redo.

You could always do some slice and dice and heat gun the pieces if you didn't want to do a full transplant.

You could always do some slice and dice and heat gun the pieces if you didn't want to do a full transplant.
I'll just end up redoing them all together. The hip plates are one of the first things I put together and I was using an inferior contact cement at the time. Lots of gaps and poorly adhered areas. I have seen variants of the plates where there is a strip going down the middle ending in a D ring. So I will end up make those instead.

Started putting together the helmet last night. One thing is for sure... This thing is a pain to assemble. The templates didnt account for some areas that need 1/4 inch spacers. I didn't realise this until the whole top section was assembled. There is a slight warp that I hope to correct with some heatgun work. There are other areas I had to add extra foam so I would be able to achieve the right look and angle. I guess all this unexpected trouble shooting keeps my wits up and helps with my creativity. o_O
20180319_002123.jpg 20180319_002136.jpg 20180319_002146.jpg 20180319_013227.jpg

Helmet is done! This thing was a lot harder than expected. Whew. Glad that's over with.
20180320_152840.jpg 20180320_152901.jpg 20180320_152910.jpg
I now have to try and get that warp in the top out... Sigh.
20180320_153006.jpg

Naturally I had to try it on. Will have to be wearing contact lenses for this. I was hoping that I would be able to slip it on while wearing glasses... No dice.
I will also have to add some foam on the inside so it sits a little bit better in my head and make it a little more snug in some areas to reduce bobble.
Now to go back and add some details and finishing touches on the rest of the armour.

Last edited:
More tweeting on my armour.
Prepare yourselves for before and after photos!!!
Well... It's not all that impressive... So... Meh.
20180322_173536.jpg
Remade the hip plates to to match the theme of textured parts in the armour.
20180322_135523.jpg 20180322_150541.jpg
It wasn't in the original plan to have the inner parts of the thighs done but, if I didn't the thighs would flare out at the top. Plus with the inner parts on it hulls itself up better on my thigh. Will still add straps to make sure it stays up.
20180322_153816.jpg 20180322_155502.jpg
I also added a simple cuff to the shoulders... Or are they called pauldrons? Well whatever they are, I can slip them onto my arm now. Will also add quick release buckles to attach to the chest piece as well.

Not shown here is the chest piece. I will be adding velcro strips on the front to attach the abdominal plates as well I have added magnets on the sides to keep it closed.

Awesome job on the helmet amazing foam work!! Will you try and replicate that iconic ODST visor shape with that material?

Awesome job on the helmet amazing foam work!! Will you try and replicate that iconic ODST visor shape with that material?
The key word is 'try'. The main problem is this is my only piece of visor material. If I screw this up... Doh.
One thing I want to try as well is TurboCharizard 's suggestion of making a buck (which I need to learn how to) and use PETG and a heat gut an make my visor that way.

The key word is 'try'. The main problem is this is my only piece of visor material. If I screw this up... Doh.
One thing I want to try as well is TurboCharizard 's suggestion of making a buck (which I need to learn how to) and use PETG and a heat gut an make my visor that way.

Don't do what I did initially and just go at a sheet of lexan with a heatgun and a wine bottle to curve pieces around. It sounds awesome and DIY, it was definitely burn-y.

So I did a test fit minus the hip, cod and butt plates.
I have big issues with the chest piece. It needs a lot of trimming. Moving my arms across my chest is very limited. I don't have a side view so no one can see it but, the back feels like it's bubbling out too much.
The helmet is sitting too low as well. It's pretty much sitting right on the collar.
Looking at the pictures now... I feel like the helmet is too big... Ugh.
20180322_214033.jpg

Yes... I blocked out my face so I don't give anyone nightmares of my ugly mug. Lol.
20180322_210951.jpg

Also on the backs of the shins, I will definitely have to cut out some scallops on the backs so I can walk, crouch and walk up steps better.
Strapping is gonna be needed to keep the thighs and shoulders up and not sliding down.

some constructive criticism: the helmet doesn't seem that much too big (pro grammar). just either a little bit tall or a little bit skinny. also the knee caps seem to be a bit misaligned (not in making but in wearing). last thing, Nice you've got LEGOs.

I agree with Jaku on the helmet. I don't know if you intend to do any attachments like a Headlamp or Comms attachment, but that may help to round out the helmet a little, add more width. Beyond that, you're in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back