Odst Weta Knife Mold Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

H1rg0n

Seeing as i am unable to create posts anywhere except here...i guess here it goes then :D

Mods feel free to move this into the appropriate area as you see fit.

OK...this was my first attempt at molding and i think i hit this sucker out of the park.

Here was the process from start to finish

About a days worth of clay work getting it prepped for the rubber.

100_3104.jpg

100_3105.jpg

100_3138.jpg

100_3139.jpg

Then poured the silicone one one side.

100_3140.jpg

100_3141.jpg

Once it cured/hardened i removed all the clay fromthe other side and poured silicone onto it.

100_3142.jpg

100_3143.jpg

Once the other side had cured i had a two part mold with some kick ass detail.

100_3144.jpg

100_3145.jpg

100_3146.jpg

100_3147.jpg

So i put the 2 halves together, some simple masking tape to hold it all together, then pored the resin.

100_3148.jpg

Went out for supper with the family.....came back and this is what came out of the mold.

100_3149.jpg

100_3150.jpg

100_3151.jpg

And finally compared to the original

100_3152.jpg

100_3153.jpg

Cheers

H1rg0n

wow thats a realy good job u done there. its good that now u got a knife for your armor but its light weight, and u cant accidentaly stab urself with it

GRAND SLAM! I've been watching a lot of video on this process and I could easily follow what I am learning with what you've shown... I think this is making sense, finally! Great gob.

Sangheili811 said:
Too bad the knife isn't removable, like a rubber training knife. Did you use a real Kershaw Responder to make the mold?

Thanks for all the positive posts....i think i am now officially addicted to molding stuff :D

I made the knife and sheath all as one part so anyone taking one of these into a Convention wont get hassled about it being a pullout prop knife.

As i learn more about mold making i may play around with the idea of a foam version of the knife....not sure yet.

AND yes i used a real Kershaw Responder to make the mold off of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow :eek that's pretty sick. I think there might be a couple of weta odsts who would want this. Nice job. btw what type of smoothon did you use?

Cheers!

XxMr SlopigxX said:
can you sell it to me for $15 AUD

Buying and selling is for veteran members only. Also you might find there's more than $15 worth of materials that goes into one copy...

I used OOMOO 25 Silicone for the mold and i am using Smooth Cast 305 with SoStrong Black tint added to get it grey.

Hirgon said:
I used OOMOO 25 Silicone for the mold and i am using Smooth Cast 305 with SoStrong Black tint added to get it grey.

I really need to come over and see what you have going on. your going through a lot of projects! :D how are those marine bits coming?

Very very nice. Stonefis007 also came out with an ODST knife (http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22443&st=0). How long is your version?

Always a good idea to have a knife wihich is not removable. Even if the blade is foam, you never know how someone will react. I say, keep the model as it is and don't make a removable version. A knife is considered at least as dangerous as a gun by a lot of law enforcement and security personel. I love this quote from Flashpoint "A knife never jams."

Meleck said:
How long is your version?

I'll measure it when i get home.

Ghost147 said:
I really need to come over and see what you have going on. your going through a lot of projects! :D how are those marine bits coming?

They are coming along steady.....had abit of a warping problem when i sprayed some Great Stuff into one of the pieces so i had to rebuild it.

Other than that it's just goingto be alot of sanding in the next week or so.

Just got home and took a measurement as stated.

From the tip of the scabbard to the end of the knife is 9 1/2 inches. With the maximum widest part is 2 5/8 inches.

Very nice detailing! I really like the handle. Too bad it's plastic. I would feel naked without a real knife on me. I'll probably just use my combat knife and strap it to my leg. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back