Old Republic Havoc Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick117

I recently watched the hope trailer on the old republic website and the clone trooper armor in the trailer was amazing, so I have gotten some screen shots from the trailer and posted them for reference. Hopefully someone will start making a pep of this armor. I will be starting to create some of the armor from foam once im done making my ODST mold and will post some pics once I start. If anyone would like some more pics from the hope trailer or the new intro trailer just let me know. i will post some more photos soon from the new trailer.

Most recent build, experimented with some paint types, will make a cleaner one later.
foamhavocshoulder.jpg

Prep45.png

Prep32.png

Fighting43.png

havoctrooperfronts.png

"Hopefully someone will start" does not translate into action. Why not use this as an opportunity to learn how to do it yourself? The armor is relatively simplistic and would be a good starting place for you. If that is too much for you, actually ask someone to do it. "Hopefully someone will start" is a wishy washy grammatical version of a disgustingly limp handshake. People will respect you more if you are more firm and direct. :cool

Well, if you are going to be doing this project, at least let me give you a bit of a hand. One of the things that I am supreme at is a costume dissection. I have helped some people over on the 501st boards with this costume, though none have yet to attempt it. If someone here wishes to, have at (just please share what you design)

Here is a set of 3.8GB worth of screen captures from the Hope Cinematic Trailer. It is pretty much a frame-by-frame from every time a Republic Trooper is on the screen. I will have a new set coming soon with the new Return Cinematic Trailer.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FRC3JPWA
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R4I8KDER
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4NRU4PXC
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2CWSTONV

I should probably also let you know that I am about 50% finished with a build of the rifles they are using.

SOFT PARTS

Neckseal
The neckseal is identical to a Republic Commando neck seal. It will be detailed all the way around. It is possible that the neck seal can zip up in the back, as this area is the least likely to be seen. If it is not built into the undersuit, it will need straps to go under the arms to hold it down.

Undersuit
The undersuit is identical to a Clone Trooper undersuit with the vertical 1-inch ribs. It will require a pair of stirrups for the feet. It will require Velcro and snaps at various points for the armor pieces.

Gloves
The gloves appear to be leather gloves with a set of patches on the backs of the knuckles. I would suggest snaps to keep the wrists of the undersuit in place and the gloves from slipping down.

Shoes
The shoes are completely black low-top street shoes.

Cummerbund
The cummerbund is black and wraps around the midsection. The main piece is black with horizontal padded ribs. The front and back have ½-inch white vertical stripes with a dark gray foam padding on the sides. It would make sense for it to Velcro/snap in the front under the front detail piece (that velcroes down). It should have suspenders to keep it up as well as a set of straps with side-release buckles for the thigh and hip armor. A two-way side release buckle should also be used to connect the butt/cod armor.

Belt
The belt is a 2-inch black leather belt that rests on top of the butt/cod piece. It has a plastic buckle (clips on over the normal buckle) and a pair of 1½-inch D rings on either side of the belt buckle. These appear to be slide on pieces. A thermal detonator is attached to the back of the belt.

HARD PARTS

Helmet
The helmet has a series of red lights on a macrobinocular attached to the visor bill. The interior of the helmet is painted black and a black balaclava is worn under it. The visor is black. It appears to be a modification of the Phase I Clone helmet.

Shoulder Armor
The right side has a 1-inch D ring held by a leather loop riveted to it. It is attached to the shoulder of the armor with black foam padding. This padding seems to Velcro or snap to the shoulders of the undersuit.

Pauldron
Pauldron replaces the left shoulder armor. It appears to connect to the shoulder of the chest/back armor similarly to the shoulder armor with the same black foam padding. I would suggest offering both the Pauldron as well as the left shoulder in the kit, to let the purchaser decide which they wish to use.

Bicep Armor
The bicep armor wraps around the bicep and probably velcroes or snaps in place. It would make sense for it to clamshell on the inside of the arm, to be adjustable for those with various size arms. It could be adjustable with Velcro.

Elbow Armor
The elbow armor wraps around the arm. It more than likely attached over the elbow with Velcro or snaps. For comfort, the strap should be white neoprene or rubber.

Forearm Armor
The forearm armor is probable clamshell, similar to the Clone/Storm Trooper. The left side has a yellowish light and green light on the gauntlet greeblie.

Hand Armor
The hand armor appears to snap to the backs of the gloves, as there are no visible straps.

Chest/Back Armor
The neckline of the armor is made to fit around the neck seal in both the front and back.

The chest armor attaches to the back armor at the shoulders and sides. I would suggest a permanent attachment at the shoulders for foam armor. The sides should have a similar attachment system to the shoulders. There appears to be no separation between the chest and back armor at the sides.

Butt/Cod Armor
The butt/cod armor appears to be one piece, but this would be uncomfortable and impossible to put on. It is more easily made to connect at the sides with side-release buckles through straps on the cummerbund.

Thermal Detonator
The detonator clips to the back of the belt.

Hip Armor
The hip armor attaches with a side-release buckle to straps from the cummerbund. This will allow it to flap around as it does in the movie.

Thigh Armor
The thigh armor wraps around the thigh. It would appear to be held up by black straps under the hip armor connected to the cummerbund.

Knee Armor
The knee armor does not have any visible straps. It is possible that it connects directly to the undersuit. It is possible that there is an internal strap with a reinforced (grommet) hole for the knee armor to Chicago screw through.

Upper Calf/Shin Armor
The upper calf/shin armor seems to fit over the top of the lower armor. It does not look to be clamshell. It is more than likely slid on before the lower armor is clam-shelled, and then it slides over top of it.

Lower Calf/Shin Armor
The lower calf/shin armor is clamshell and wraps around the lower leg. It has a pair of tabs on the bottom that clip onto the tops of the shoe with a hinged forward piece. The forward piece looks as if it clips to the tongue of the shoe as it looks to move with the shoe and not with the lower leg in the cinematic trailers.

Shoe Armor
There are no visible straps, so it would appear that the three pieces of boot armor attach with snaps. It is possible that the heel armor is permanently attached to the shoes.

ACCESSORIES

Most accessories are placed on a black 2-inch leather baldric that wraps around the armor. It goes from the shoulder, along the armor, to just under the armhole. Typically, the accessories are slid onto the baldric. There is a pair of stitch-lines on the baldric ½-inch from either side. It is possible that this sews a 1-inch Velcro strip on the underside to hold it in place.

The items typically found on the baldric are:
* A strap with a 1-inch aluminum D ring is a common item found on the baldrics.
* A black knife sheath that fits lengthwise along the baldric.
* A triangular ‘mine’ with a red button on the front.
* Black thin pouches (2-in wide), with a metallic button.
* White-colored thin clips in open leather bands.

Two ammo clips on left shoulder armor with two straps under it to hold it on.

Round grenades, about the size of pool balls, clip to the belt.

Leather holstered pistol attached to the hip armor.

Backpack.

Thanks for all the quick replies guys, im glad there is some interest in this subject. A big thumbs up to Jason for all that great info on the suit, im downloading the files now :). As far as pepakura goes I will be making templates for foam armor, not a 3-d model that can be printed out, I was hoping someone would make a pep file to save me some effort getting proportions right for the templets. But, since there seems to be some interest I will start working on the foam templates now, once im done you will be able to download them and print off "stencils" that you can trace onto foam mats to make the armor. If you want to see an example you can search foam armor in the search box, i got the idea from some other members. For large projects with a lot of curves i find this method to be much easier over pepakura. If anyone does get a hold of some pep files please link them here they will greatly speed up my project. I will continue to update with some more photos once I get the shoulders done.

Nice set of armor, but I wouldn't be surprised if an armor maker from the 501st may be working on this to vac-form as we speak. Looking forward to this!

As I said before, I am perfect at actually dissecting a costume, just not actually building it (thus the teaching myself). So, with that said, let me help you out a little.

For the proportions, I would suggest using a suit if Clone Trooper Armor. I would suggest looking at the Clone Trooper by Dungbeetle in the Star Wars Pep Files in Pepakura File Wiki.

The helmet is close enough to the Phase 1 helmet to be used as a base, though the more appropriate base would be the Hasbro Clone Wars voice changer helmet.

The chest and back are nearly identical to the Clone Trooper chest and back, with some minor modifications. The chest does not have the abdominal plate and the back is likewise modified to include a bottom like the chest and lose the details in the back and replace it with the twin circles. Also, you need them to have a solid strap over the shoulder.

The cod butt is also a good base and won’t take much to mod (except for lengthening the under part.

The shoulders are a good base for the typical shoulder, but you need the raised section and cut it down a little on the sides. Also, for the pauldron, use the shoulder as a base size.

The biceps, gauntlets, and hand plates need major mods, but the sizes are about the same.

The thigh needs cut down a little on the inside, but is generally similar without the details.

The knees look to be custom, but the shins are clearer in the new one to be single pieces and you can use the Clone shins as a base.

You need to add the hip plates, elbows, and the custom boot armor. The hip plates are pretty straight forward. The elbows look custom, but could be mods of a Snowtrooper elbow. The boots are up to you, though.

Oh, and by tomorrow evening, I should have the shots of the Return Cinematic Trailer taken. PM me your email address and I'll shoot them to you.

----------

Nice set of armor, but I wouldn't be surprised if an armor maker from the 501st may be working on this to vac-form as we speak. Looking forward to this!
Nope. It's good guy armor. The 501st won't accept it and most of the RL doesn't deal in hard armor. The guy working on it has also been designing a new Republic Commando Armor and the Sith Trooper Armor from those videos, so it is very slow going and he isn't making it in other sizes (i.e. no templates for those larger than the everage clone.

Nope. It's good guy armor. The 501st won't accept it and most of the RL doesn't deal in hard armor. The guy working on it hasn't been heard from in about four months. Even then, he just started designing a new Republic Commando Armor and the Sith Trooper Armor from those videos.

That's right but then again most of us in the 501st are also members of the Rebel Legion.

As a quick update I am almost done with making the basic shoulder shape out of foam, ill post pics of it this weekend.

Well i have completed the commander? shoulder, I traced it from a screen shot and cut it out on foam. I have the templates made and once i figure out how to share them I will. For now here is a picture of it before painting and detailing.
IMG_0237.jpg

This is very cool, i remember seeing the vid with these troopers awhile back. Now downloading the Pic files. I haven't modeled in forever but it looks like something fun to do. I'm used to modeling in maya so hopefully it will translated to pepakura or i have been meaning to do something in blender. We'll see. Thanks for sharing :D

LCBeagle, thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on that.

Many thanks to Jason-549 for all the great screen caps he uploaded. I'm still downloading the last file due to my super slow internet speed out here in the boonies but the one i have downloaded and opened are great. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back