order of coats

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknicklive

first off, this website gave me the motivation to make more than just a helmet for the halo 3 release ( i work at gamestop so i get to show it off to all the customers night of the 24th :] ), but i cant correctly say which order of polyurethane resin and fiberglass resin i put on the helmet after i have the card stock glued together.

as of right now this is what my searching has led me to.
1.polyurethane the OUTSIDE of the helmet
2.sand OUTSIDE to smooth corners
3.use some type of adhesive on the INSIDE to add the fiberglass cloth
4.put fiberglass resin on INSIDE of helmet
5. polyurethane over the fiberglass resin on the INSIDE

im pretty sure this is the correct order, but some threads are worded awkwardly so i wasn't too sure.

any corrections before i begin?

thanks in advance

resin the outside let that hardener
fiberglass with resin on the inside, you might just need one coat of fiberglass
then sand the outside

paint a coat of resin on the inside as a paste. itll hold the fiberglass cloth in place until you put another coat of resin over it.

good idea, i wasn't sure what i was going to use to hold the fiberglass in as i resin'ed it... i was thinking of it like the fiberglass cloth as paper mache (sp?) on the inside, but resin as an adhesive should work much better, thanks!

Jim said:
Are you saying to just sand the resin on the outside? (ie no body filler?)

assuming that the fiberglass is hardened on the inside, yes.

Body filler isn't nessesary, just gives a little more shaping to smooth out the /\/\/ to _____

Do you understand what i mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agent Orange said:
assuming that the fiberglass is hardened on the inside, yes.

Body filler isn't nessesary, just gives a little more shaping to smooth out the /\/\/ to _____

Do you understand what i mean?

Yeah makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I can just sand the resin so I didn't screw it up ;) Thanks :)

Fuffuloo 117 said:
Why do you sand? And do you sand before of after you paint the helmet?

Too get it smooth and get rid of the sharp edges and anything where the paper may not have lined up. You sand before you paint.

Jim said:
Too get it smooth and get rid of the sharp edges and anything where the paper may not have lined up. You sand before you paint.
Thanx.

you might want to spray a quick coat of primer onto the outside before you begin sanding, because resin is clear it will make the imperfections show up better. then when you think you have it nice and smooth spray another quick coat of primer and do a once-over check. you will most likely have bubbles and what not in the resin on the outside and these may be missed otherwise depending on your method of sanding.

you know you have it very smooth when you can sand a panel and the primer comes off evenly (no bumps get bare, no valleys get left untouched. of course you will want the piece to have some shape and not have each "polygon" perfectly flat, so this method may be best left in the auto body shop. take it or leave it.

make sure to vacuum and wipe down the piece when you go to paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back