Oversized Visor. Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanthebruce

I have begun working on my ODST cosplay using 3D files from from_the_brink_studios on Instagram. They are awesome files and I've completed my helmet minus the visor. I recently purchased a visor from Sean Bradley Studios on Etsy. It just arrived today, and it's a beautiful visor. However, it is way too big for my helmet. I'm unsure if I should try trimming down the visor with a Dremel, or sending it back/selling it to someone else and trying to find something smaller. Any advice would be appreciated!
File_000 (1).jpeg

If you have the tools for it and you are sure about it, go for it, if you are not sure try to sell it.

Looks like it has a good amount of flashing that you can use to custom fit it. If the material is too thick for scissors or heavy duty snips, use a dermal to cut it.
If I were you I’d make a template of exactly the opening shape of your helmet and transfer the shape to the visor. Cut small amounts off and test fit until you’re happy.

Might help if you post a pic of the visor inside the helmet. It’s usually easier to check to fit from that side.

Looks like it has a good amount of flashing that you can use to custom fit it. If the material is too thick for scissors or heavy duty snips, use a dermal to cut it.
If I were you I’d make a template of exactly the opening shape of your helmet and transfer the shape to the visor. Cut small amounts off and test fit until you’re happy.

Might help if you post a pic of the visor inside the helmet. It’s usually easier to check to fit from that side.
I have a visor buck I can 3D print, which I will be doing as soon as my current print finishes. I'll use that to be able to get the exact shape traced onto it. I'm worried that do to the size difference, the curves will be too different though. Guess I'll only know once I get my buck printed

Tin snips are my go to for cutting thick plastic.

Tin snips are my go to for cutting thick plastic.
I had some medical shears (like for cutting jeans off of people in the ER) I used, but sadly after I printed a visor buck that matched my helmet, I realized I got the wrong shape visor entirely. I'm currently looking into other vendors now, and what to do with a partially trimmed chrome visor I can't use.

I had some medical shears (like for cutting jeans off of people in the ER) I used, but sadly after I printed a visor buck that matched my helmet, I realized I got the wrong shape visor entirely. I'm currently looking into other vendors now, and what to do with a partially trimmed chrome visor I can't use.
Yeah, that's unfortunately kind of how it is. One maker can't necessarily guarantee perfect match with anothers design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back