Props Painting BoomCo MA5

Status
Not open for further replies.

topless68

Now that my sons MC costume is basically finished, he is interested in painting the MA5 to be more "game realistic", rather than bright red.

Any experience with prepping and painting the plastic? full disassembly? sanding the surface or just a primer?

I had managed to snag one of the BoomCo Assault Rifles on sale during the final days of Toys R Us and repainting it was going to be one of my next projects.

I can tell you that my plan was to sand off all the logos, then give the whole thing a sanding, followed by an adhesion promoter like "Bull Dog," then primer.

As I haven't actually done it yet, I would also be interested to hear what experience anyone has had with it. I believe Asgardianhammer has repainted a BoomCo AR or two?

I picked up a BoomCo AR awhile back and gave it a paint job. I sanded off the logos and used a little spot putty over that to help smooth it more. Gave the whole thing a light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper and primed it before painting. I did not take it apart, and you'd have trouble finding an area that's not painted. However, I do think that taking it apart to paint would have been worthwhile.

Here's what it looked like when done for reference.
2017-04-23 19.36.55.jpg

That look really nice.

Did you basically flat black the whole thing, and then go back with other paint to do the silver, and darker black areas? or is the main body more of a dark grey colour?

I have not done any Boomco repairs although I have a Magnum that's on my list. I recently completed a Nerf Longshot using a modification kit by Black Tactical and Vectorworkz. Its is pretty much scale and about 10 inches longer than the Boomco rifle. I gave it the Halo 5 Guardians Blue Steel skin paint job.

IMG_20180923_224757.jpg

received_269212717047259.jpeg

20180923_222747.jpg

I have not done any Boomco repairs although I have a Magnum that's on my list. I recently completed a Nerf Longshot using a modification kit by Black Tactical and Vectorworkz. Its is pretty much scale and about 10 inches longer than the Boomco rifle. I gave it the Halo 5 Guardians Blue Steel skin paint job.

View attachment 260178

View attachment 260179

View attachment 260180

Beautiful. I'm working on a Boomco magnum repaint, nothing much to say that hasn't been said, but super glue can be used as a gap filler for very small imperfections.

I just sanded the whole thing with 220 grit and used rustoleum 2x paint. It seems to have adhered well.

The Boomco rifle is easy to disassemble, there are only 2 screws that are longer so just note what holes they go in. I didn't paint the buttstock piece or hand pump piece since they were already a nice black. The ammo counter sticker will tear in half if you do take it apart, I replaced mine with a simple static one with blue LED backlights.

I stuffed some LEDs and a audio module in my rifle and now the seams don't line up as nice as before so I may consider using some bondo or other filler eventually, but it isn't very noticeable unless you're close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back