Pep to Molding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheech92007

Jr Member
i want to take my pep helm and chest and turn them into molds. is there a way my pep pieces can be used for this or do i just need to sculpt?

Finnish Spartan said:
You can just add apoxie or clay untop of the helmet and that should make it possible to mold it (resin and fiberglass first).

what is this apoxie stuff do? can you explain this to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
well do u plan on keeping the pep helm and stuff to wear afterwards or do u just want to turn it into a mold? cuz u could fill it with plaster and then kinda cut that in half to make a mold.

i just did a test filing a too small helmet with plaster (my scaling was off) and it seems to have worked pretty well
i had to carve a few details back in and all but not to much trouble really.

if u do fill it with plaster though u should seal all the flaps with like hot glue or something and then u spray paint it (i dont know why but itll leak more if u don't) inside and out. once u do that imerse the outside in sand like in a 5 gallon bucket (make sure there isn't sand inside of it) so that it doesnt squish under the weight of the plaster and just fill it up.

may not be the most fool proof way of doing it but it seems simple enough

crazybunny said:
heres any easier method: Use brush on silicone rubber found here. Go here to learn how to use it.

well that seems like it might cost a little too much. but would it produce much better results? because mine seems pretty cheap but more detail is probably lost in my method isn't it?

and where might i get oil clay from?

thoren said:
well that seems like it might cost a little too much. but would it produce much better results? because mine seems pretty cheap but more detail is probably lost in my method isn't it?

and where might i get oil clay from?

There is a wide variety of different websites. However, i got my clay from a place called Hobby Lobby.
Ive done this type of mold making process. MAKE SURE you fiberglass the inside though!
You also dont need an epoxy. You can add a layer of blue painters tape (oil based clay will stick better to it)
Remember, for more detail, use the harder clays. After adding the desired amount of detail then you can use brushable rtv silicone on it. It WILL work fer yah. :)
Soon you guys will see my CQB resin helm :D

honest_insanity said:
There is a wide variety of different websites. However, i got my clay from a place called Hobby Lobby.
Ive done this type of mold making process. MAKE SURE you fiberglass the inside though!
You also dont need an epoxy. You can add a layer of blue painters tape (oil based clay will stick better to it)
Remember, for more detail, use the harder clays. After adding the desired amount of detail then you can use brushable rtv silicone on it. It WILL work fer yah. :)
Soon you guys will see my CQB resin helm :D

i dont think we have any hobby stores neer where i live =[ but thanks for the tip ill try and find a hobby store to buy it from though. Are there different brands i should look for and/or not get because of quality issues?

crazybunny said:
heres any easier method: Use brush on silicone rubber found here. Go here to learn how to use it.

umm since i never even thought about this method before u posted this link to the you tube vid of the one guy makeing a odst helmet. exactly how much is he skipping when he says he is skipping alot? and what is this method called so i can look for a tut or something in the stickys

thoren said:
umm since i never even thought about this method before u posted this link to the you tube vid of the one guy makeing a odst helmet. exactly how much is he skipping when he says he is skipping alot? and what is this method called so i can look for a tut or something in the stickys

wow guys comon, this is not an open chat. either help me out or go talk somewhere els. thanks

cheech92007 said:
wow guys comon, this is not an open chat. either help me out or go talk somewhere els. thanks
lol, sorry Dad.

Actually, your question has been answered. There are several members of this board that have already done this.

Applying a mold release to almost anything will let you mold it. Yes, a pep helm can be molded, but I don't know why you'd want to mold just a pep helm. You could use it as a base, adding clay for detail (once the paper's been reinforced) if you don't intend on keeping the original helm, or use Bondo (again, after reinforcing) if you do want to keep it.

EDIT: After reading your first post again, I think you've got to reword your question. You don't want to make a mold out of your pep, you want to make one from your pep, so you can cast copies of the original.

So what about taking a pep chest piece that has those strut braces inside of it that are made of cardboard, then pouring a little fiberglass resin of the inside as well as brushing some on the outside for some strength, then applying the clay over top of the chest and casting from that? I have already made a suit using the standard pep-fiberglass bondo deal, but that was too much trouble, so i wanted to make some molds for easier creation, but does anyone have any ideas? I shudder to think about fiberglassing around all of the strut braces and such...

Finnish Spartan said:
You can just add apoxie or clay untop of the helmet and that should make it possible to mold it (resin and fiberglass first).

i did a pep helm and i want to mold it too, what should i need to buy to make it work? ( i dont want to use bondo)

So what about taking a pep chest piece that has those strut braces inside of it that are made of cardboard, then pouring a little fiberglass resin of the inside as well as brushing some on the outside for some strength, then applying the clay over top of the chest and casting from that?

.......... That is pretty much the whole point of pepakura. The pepakura part is just a base for you to sculpt on, what you sculpt with is totally up to you. Use what ever works for you. clay, bondo or macaroni and glitter glue. It dosnt matter.

this one belongs in the noob section...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back